Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

How much CA?

Old 09-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Fewski
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much CA?

I'm building the Spadet for my first plane and need to buy some CA Glue. How much on average do you use to build a plane this size, roughly? (In OZ. please).

I've spent most of the money I had planned for it on the Engine and Radio System so I rather not get 3 times as much as I need right now - That stuff is expensive for 1 or 2 ounces!

Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2005, 05:23 AM
Clean

Default RE: How much CA?

Luckily this isn't a Balsa airplane. That means instead of soaking a bunch of glue into balsa you will instead be using tiny drops that will spread out over large areas of plastic. Think Glass microscope slide and shield and just how far a tiny drop of water goes with that combo. I've done some recent building on 3 SPADS and all I had to glue with was the last 1/8 inch of glue in my CA bottle. Still have some left!

Now granted, the Spadet has some wood parts in it, but I would think that a 1 oz bottle would probably get you through the plane in flying colors if you do glue correctly. If you instead squirt lines of glue like they were 'HardasNails' contact cement, you'll be out of glue fast and your joints won't be very strong.

In the end, your mileage will be different from everyone elses. But here is the best bet. As we use so little glue compared to a Balsa plane AND the best joints come from fresh CA. Buy your glue in small bottles 1 at a time. It goes a long way and that way you won't have a 2 ounce bottle of glue going stale or getting knocked over while you wait on money to start your next SPAD build.

In a couple weeks, if you really use a large amount of glue, you can go buy another bottle.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Make that a 1 oz. bottle of medium CA. And as Mr Clean has indicated, use small drops!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:10 PM
airscooter

Previous post are right on target IMHO.
Too much CA is worse than not enough in most cases. Narrow surfaces I use dots about 3/8 to 1/2 in. apart
and wider ones I use two rows, after several mishaps it still holds.
The prep of the coro is very important to getting the CA to hold, at least that has been my experience.
Good luck with your build and keep us posted.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:26 PM
FantzyPantz

Go with a smaller bottle like Mr Clean says. I never seem to learn my lesson. I always think I need the bigger bottle of CA for several projects. But what happens is that I end up wasting over 1/2 of the bottle that never gets used either because it gets old, the cap gets glued on or the cap gets left off and the stuff just dries up. So from now on I'm going to remember to buy the 1 once bottles for projects.

To emphasize what others have said, a little CA goes a long ways with the coro.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

If you have any CA left over you can always put it in the refrigerator and it will keep a lot longer. I have a small dorm size refrigerator in my work area, and that's is where I keep my CA when I'm not using it. It seems to stay fresh longer doing this, than leaving it on my work table at room temp.

Just my $0.02,
Omaha
Old 09-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Fewski
My Feedback: (14)

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

I also have a dorm size fridge in my shop but with all those bottles of brew there's no room for CA. Isn't that what's supposed to go in dorm refrigerators anyway?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

The main part of the fridge is filled with brew and pop, but I keep a little space in the door for my CA LOL

Later,
Omaha
Old 09-16-2005, 10:54 AM
flightcrazed
My Feedback: (13)

I must crash a lot or build a lot... I have never had a bottle of ca go bad, didn't know it could...LOL!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 08:00 PM
lee292
My Feedback: (9)

Maybe I'm out of line here, but putting a used bottle of CA in the fridge isn't a good idea. Warm, relatively moist air enters the bottle, and the cold surface cause moisture to condense inside. The water then reacts with the CA and you have hard plastic in your bottle instead of glue. However, keeping an UNOPENED bottle of CA cold extends its life almost indefinitely.

--lee292