Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Class 214 Edge

Old 09-16-2005, 12:53 PM
SchoolRoomSpads
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Class 214 Edge

Here is the new edge my fifth grade class help build. We are gearing up for a new year full of different spads.
Tommy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62812.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	324826  
Old 09-16-2005, 05:27 PM
rsieminski

Default RE: Class 214 Edge

Looks great bro! A much worthwhile effort building it with the kids.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-16-2005, 11:06 PM
DLSmith2

Excellent job! Beautiful plane!

I'm looking forward to the flight report!

What's next on your "to build" list?

Blue skies,

DL
Old 09-18-2005, 09:42 AM
SearchMan

Good Job! When will you fly it? Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:34 AM
SchoolRoomSpads
My Feedback: (3)

Flew the plane on Sunday. Once I got her in the air and trimmed out it was a blast to fly. I am going to a different landing gear though. The wire puts to much stress on the landing gear block holes I drilled. Maybe go to aluminum and I definitely need a tail wheel verses the skid. I am thinking of building a twin boom pusher digital camera platform using a MDS 68 for our next project. We'll see!
Old 10-30-2005, 10:16 PM
smokingwreckage

SPADS and school go well together, especially if you have a local supplier that sells individual sheets of Coroplast to schools at wholesale prices. We fly RC in the after-school program in middle school.

Since our school is located under the runway approach for the airport across the street we must fly indoors. We have a squadron (14) of electric micro stick types with GWS brushed motors and flight packs. 6 are 3-channels with cambered wings and diehedral. 8 are 4-channels. The camber keeps the 2-mil Coroplast wings stiff, but for the 4-channels it is necessary to add a couple carbon fiber rods. Each plane has 4 flights per day. It's a hassle to keep 56 batteries charged every day, but we make do with 8 chargers, allowing each battery to quick charge for 1 class period. On weekends I bring the batteries home for a 12 hour slow charge.

We have beginner and advanced pylon classes and pattern competitions. It is unbelievable how excited kids get over 6 micro sticks racing around the volleyball poles. Some of the kids are ready to learn 3D so I guess we'll have to figure a way to run brushless motors on micro-sized flyers.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:14 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: smokingwreckage

SPADS and school go well together, especially if you have a local supplier that sells individual sheets of Coroplast to schools at wholesale prices. We fly RC in the after-school program in middle school.

Since our school is located under the runway approach for the airport across the street we must fly indoors. We have a squadron (14) of electric micro stick types with GWS brushed motors and flight packs. 6 are 3-channels with cambered wings and diehedral. 8 are 4-channels. The camber keeps the 2-mil Coroplast wings stiff, but for the 4-channels it is necessary to add a couple carbon fiber rods. Each plane has 4 flights per day. It's a hassle to keep 56 batteries charged every day, but we make do with 8 chargers, allowing each battery to quick charge for 1 class period. On weekends I bring the batteries home for a 12 hour slow charge.

We have beginner and advanced pylon classes and pattern competitions. It is unbelievable how excited kids get over 6 micro sticks racing around the volleyball poles. Some of the kids are ready to learn 3D so I guess we'll have to figure a way to run brushless motors on micro-sized flyers.

Thats awesome! I´m sure its a blast to watch those kids learn to fly and then compete.