Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

4mm Vs 2 mm

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 01:38 PM
goplaneman
My Feedback: (175)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4mm Vs 2 mm

Im sure its been asked a 100 times, but can you uses 4mm instead of 2mm coraplas for a wing?
Old 09-18-2005, 03:18 PM
rsieminski

Default RE: 4mm Vs 2 mm

Yep, done 100's of times before. Wing loading will be a little higher, so it'll come in a little hotter. More crash resistant though. Just watch wing loading.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I build my Sickles with 4mm Coro. I'd be afraid to try 2mm on this rocket. Plus I have up sized the engine to a 40. One has a GP42 and the other has a ST40.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:24 AM
goplaneman
My Feedback: (175)

Thanks for the reply, the sickle is the plane I was looking to build with a La .40 or .46 on it. Is there any diffrence in building with 4mm?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:55 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I use 3mm for everything
Old 09-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Muldoer

I've built a sickle with both 2 and 4mm coro for the wing. Both used a 40LA for power. Both had canadian pipe for the fuse.

The one with all 4mm was a bit heavy and the heavier wing loading caused it to start spinning uncontrollably when stalled. The only way to get out of the spin was by applying full power.

My 4mm wing ripped itself apart because of the 4mm's resilience...its tendency to want to "unbend" itself.

I scrapped that one and got ahold of 2mm coro. Its a whole different airplane with 2mm. Much lighter, wont enter the spin of death anymore, glide is great and manageable. The 40LA with 10x6 MAS simitar prop pulls it out of my hand vertically.

You CAN try it with the 4mm, just be sure to "think light". Oh and dont cut the spar slot in the fuse until close to last. It makes balancing so much easier. Watch the creasing over the spar too...

I absolutely LOVE this plane. Its a beast a full throttle, but is easily tamed at 1/2 throttle. Loops are tighter than spandex underwear. Rolls are axial, smooth and fast. The unlimited vertical at full throttle means this thing hauls. In a dive, it has a natural tendency to self correct to level flight(or atleast mine does). It IS fast, but you can easily fly it as a sport type plane. I built washout into my wing to help the power off glide a bit and it stalls smoothly and predictably. Landings are no harder than a Dogfighter type plane. Only thing you have to watch for is that this plane gets mighty small mighty quick. The lack of a tail makes orientation a bit hard at first so being a step ahead of this plane at all times is a must. Dont fly it thinking you'll have a relaxing flight, but dont pucker up either because there really is no need to, unless you are a bad pilot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23252.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	326195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72587.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	326196  
Old 09-20-2005, 06:58 AM
pejuve
My Feedback: (54)

Sure, I made my ultra stick only with 4mm coroplast, the wing are a little heavy but I using a 42cc engine instead 31cc, and it fly so smooth

Some videos, http://www.jusspress.com/pejuve
I'm very new flying planes. enjoy
I love the SPAD...