Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Hand launch spad?

Old 09-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Lumpy454
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand launch spad?

Hi Guys,
I would like to get a Spad that I can hand launch. I would also like to use a Saito .56 on it. I am thinking of a combat type Spad just to fool around with. Is this possible with a spad or are they too heavy? Any suggestions of which model I should be looking for? Could I use my saito .56 on a .25 sized plane? Thank You, Lumpy
Old 09-24-2005, 02:22 PM
beelzebubishere

Default RE: Hand launch spad?

WOW!

I like the idea of the Saito 56, been thinking about it myself.....but on a SPAD with about a 72" span approaching 950-1000 sq.in. of area....or a Bipe with similar wing area...

On a 25 sized machine....WOW! If ya do it......please take pics!
Old 09-24-2005, 02:50 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I hand launch my Bandito (ws 36") with a Fox .40...
Old 09-24-2005, 05:26 PM
voyager_663rd

Saturday Night special is a hand launch with 46 size engine. Your's will be fine too.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Lumpy454

I currently fly my FX-Hobbies bandit with a Saito .56 using a 12x6 prop. It has a 48 inch wingspan and weighs 5.5 lbs fully loaded. I am going to order a newer designed wing from Frank which is 14 oz lighter with a semi symmetrical design compared to my current clark Y-foil design wing. With the lighter wing and removing the landing gear the plane should weigh 19oz. less. The plane currently has plenty of power and takes off in about 10 feet. I am wondering if I could hand launch this plane once it weighs @ 4.5 lbs? Anyone hand launch a plane of this size and weight?

SST, How much does your bandito weigh?

Thanks for the replies, Lumpy
Old 09-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Lumpy454

Voyager,
Thanks for the info on the Saturday night special. I looked up the plans for the SNS and it appears my Bandit is a SNS in disguise. Both have 30" pvc downspout fuselages and both have a 48" wingspan.

Here is the plane I have except this one has the 2 mil wing that I am ordering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/402-FX-BANDIT-SP...QQcmdZViewItem

I am going to attempt to hand launch once I get the new wing. Any tips on landing with no gear? Kill the engine and try to land level or nose up? I will be landing on grass/weeds. Thanks for all your help...Lumpy
Old 09-24-2005, 08:57 PM
MrGreenSpeed

You could build a 60" Draco.
With a .56 it would just need a light toss to hand launch.
The Draco flies like a trainer slow and will hang with any combat ship out there.
If You need more speed out of it You can clip the wings down to 56" or 54" but the landing will get hotter.
It's Super stable and is an advanced all 2mil Spad design and easy to build.
Do a search for it at spadworld.
Jeff
Old 09-24-2005, 10:26 PM
voyager_663rd

Before you fire it up make sure you get the prop set right: Turn the prop clockwise till it is against the compression. The prop tips should be pointing at 9 and 3. If not, loosen the prop nut and adjust the prop so it is. Then tighten the nut.

When ready to land, at low throttle, just as you pass the end of the runway on your approach cut the engine and glide in level and flat. With the engine off, the speed of the plane will cause the prop to turn "backwards" and come to rest against the compression point. As you set this up to be at 9-3, the prop will be level to the ground when you coast/skid to a stop and will not (well, shouldn't if you got it right) break.

With practise, you can land right at your feet.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:54 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

My Bandito weighs 3 1/2 lbs.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:40 AM
winger1955
My Feedback: (25)

Is the method, for positioning the prop, the same for 2 and 4 strokes?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2005, 06:59 PM
desmobob

ORIGINAL: Lumpy454

Hi Guys,
I would like to get a Spad that I can hand launch. I would also like to use a Saito .56 on it. I am thinking of a combat type Spad just to fool around with. Is this possible with a spad or are they too heavy? Any suggestions of which model I should be looking for? Could I use my saito .56 on a .25 sized plane? Thank You, Lumpy
I learned to fly R/C on a hand-launched SPAD Dominator.

One tip to remember in addition to the great information you'll get from the forum members:
Be careful where/how you mount your switch. I had mine mounted on the side of the fuse, under the wing, with the "on" position to the rear. The second or third time I hand-launched the plane, my fingers turned the switch "off" when I threw it, causing the SPAD to take off at full throttle with no radio contact. Not a good thing.... [:@]

It climbed gradually up and over the top, inverted, then dove into the ground on the way back down at maximum dive speed, missing a row of parked cars by about 15 yards.

I always wanted to try my Saito .56 in a SPAD, too, but I ended up putting it in a Cub before I got the chance.

Have fun with your SPAD,
desmobob
Old 10-22-2005, 07:30 PM
DLSmith2

Winger,

Setting the prop horizontally when you reach compression, or "clocking the prop" will work fine with the four stroke too.

As far as hand launching goes, I've hand launched a DPS and a Deb with no problems. You simply hold it by the fuse underneath, like you were going to throw a spear, throttle up, and make a nice smooth toss straight ahead. Don't throw it up (or it may run out of airspeed and altitude at the same time) until you get used to hand launching it. If I hand launch my own, I hold it in my left hand and my tx in the right with my thumb on the right stick. I usually pick up the plane (at idle) and advance the throttle with my chin, and "chunk it."

Let us know how it turns out!

Blue skies,

DL

BTW - When you use your chin to advance the throttle during hand launch, don't stick your tx antenna into the spinning prop!
Old 10-22-2005, 09:17 PM
desmobob

ORIGINAL: DLSmith2

If I hand launch my own, I hold it in my left hand and my tx in the right with my thumb on the right stick. I usually pick up the plane (at idle) and advance the throttle with my chin, and "chunk it."

I usually hold the SPAD in one hand, the Tx in the other, and advance the throttle with the other.

Good luck,
desmobob (down by the radioactive waste dump)