Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Mini PBF

Old 10-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini PBF

This may not be coro, but it certainly is simple. Can SPAD stand for Simple Polystyrene Airplane Design? I pretty much just built a PBF using CrazyHerb's construction techniques for his cheap delta. It has a 20" span and a 25" chord. Power comes from a throttled .061. I just have elevon control, but am planning on adding another servo and rudder. It took me all of three hours to build and cost just about a dollar in materials It flys just like my old coro PBF which means it is ridiculous amounts of fun. I found something kind of odd about this plane. Not only can I take off from the ground, but I can even control the takeoff run. When I give it right aileron, the left elevon drags the ground, but the plane turns right. I guess maybe it is due to the added weight on the right main wheel? I'm not sure why it works, but it does and that's what matters. The batteries went dead on my camera after only getting one pic, so it will have to do for now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85940.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	334203  
Old 10-05-2005, 05:51 PM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Mini PBF

Come on over and share with some of our small group man!

Hey....and charge the batteries in the camera...
Old 10-22-2005, 10:31 PM
lee hunt
My Feedback: (22)

Hey grav what thicknee was the foam it looks like it could be lots of fun thanks in advance Lee
Old 10-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

It's made with 1/2" foam. If you can find it, buy the stuff with plastic reinforcement on both sides. The foam has always come with a plastic film on it, but lately it has been sold with what looks like fishing line in the plastic film. This adds alot of stiffness. I don't know if it's needed on a plane this size or not. If you can't find it with the lines, it still should work, but I would put a couple strips of strapping tape spanwise for added strength.
Yeah, it is alot of fun. I've crashed it hard a few times (doing stuff I probably shouldnt've) but it's still flying. I did break my landing gear, but it's as much fun to hand launch, so I haven't replaced it yet.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:30 AM
lee hunt
My Feedback: (22)

Grav thanks for the information we have a home depot not too far away I'll try them in the morning I have flown the coroplast ones but these seem like they will be lighter and not flex as much thenks again Lee
Old 11-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Happy to help. Good luck with the build. If you've flown the coro PBF's, you should know what to expect. This one flys pretty much the same - it's just smaller. I haven't noticed any wing flex with this model, but on my 40 sized coro PBF there was significant flex if I pulled to hard at very high speeds.
Post some pics with your progress and/or the finshed model.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:35 PM
LostMyPlane

Gravity...what or how did you mount the motor to the foam? did you use a wooden spin? some more info and pictures from different sides would be of great help!!

Thanks
Old 11-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

The only wood I used was two square dowels that I used to mount the engine. I epoxied these to the foam and ran two wood screws through the landing gear up into the dowels. I've since broken most of the landing gear off - the picture shows what's left of it. I took the tank off so you can see the engine mount. The tank is just mounted on with rubber bands that are secured to screws in the sides of the mounts. Is there anything else you'd like to see? I'll do what I can to get more people enjoying these ridiculously fun planes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63130.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	350670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72326.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	350671