Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Sign Vinyl use

Old 10-31-2005, 06:43 PM
propjobbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sign Vinyl use

I read someplace about using sign vinyl for trim on airplanes. I don't remember if it was for SPAD or film covered planes. It you have ever used sign vinyl for trim how well does it stick and how does it stand up to fuel?

Any comment on your experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks Bill
Old 10-31-2005, 07:31 PM
DLSmith2

Default RE: Sign Vinyl use

Bill,

The sign vinyl I get from the local sign shop is easy to use, durable, and fuel doesn't hurt it one bit. It has an adhesive back that will stick until the cows come home. You can use the "Windex trick" like monokote to put it on. Squirt the surface with Windex, remove the backing from the vinyl, and put it on. You have a little time to work with the stuff because of the Windex, and when it dries, it won't come off. I've used it on coroplast, PVC, and it makes a good field repair for monokote, etc.

PLUS, if you go to the sign shop with a SPAD or picture of one and tell them that's what you need it for, some places will GIVE you their scraps for FREE (did I mention FREE?).

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Blue skies,

DL
Old 10-31-2005, 07:32 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Sign vinyl for trim works great, but can add weight quickly, when applied to clean coro it sticks very well and is fuel proof.
All the red and green eyes are S.V.~
Old 10-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Madd_Maxx

Yes Bill you can use sign vinyl as mentioned before. It is fuelproof (lot's better than paint ever could be) and is easy to put on. I've been using sign vinyl on the last 4-5 spads I've built and the stuff is holding up great.

The spadstick I've been flying all summer:

All this is sign vinyl:

Even holding up on the tail that normally gets covered in oily slime:

Madd Maxx
Old 10-31-2005, 10:44 PM
rrh

Sign vinyl is a bit heavy but it is oooohhh so sticky. I carry a coffee can of strips and squares in my combat repair kit for the in-between-round prop cut repairs. A short blast of carb cleaner and sign vinyl will stick to any surface!

rrh
Old 11-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Villa

Harborsales.com sells the sign vinyl by the roll. I may be wrong on this but I think it cost me about $18.00 for a roll of 18 inches by 35 feet. Great stuff. Many colors.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:19 AM
propjobbill

I thank everyone that has offer information and help. After what I have read so far I am convinced that sign vinyl is the way to go for trimming out my plane from now on. Harborsales has been mentioned a couple of times. I bought coroplast from them; they were great to deal with.

I went to harborsales site but what do they call their sigh vinyl, and what category is it listed under. I looked for it last night for at least 30 minutes but couldn't find it.

Thanks, Bill
Old 11-01-2005, 11:25 AM
BillBabe

Bill :

Try this link http://shop.vendio.com/cncsigns/store.html

They handle much smaller rolls than Harbor Sales.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:29 PM
propjobbill

Thanks for the site information I went there and they have good prices on smaller rolls, but their 25' roll is actually a good size roll. I expect to be buying some of their rolls
Old 11-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sign vinyl that I use comes direct from the local sign shop. They know me now and I can purchase small or large amounts at a reasonable price. I usually get a 2' by 4' piece for $5. Buying it by the roll never appealed to me because I don't want to be boxed in by one color for a life time.
As for the vinyl being fuel proof - That's sorta correct. Yes it is fuel proof if you apply raw fuel to the film and do not let it get under the edge. Like many other film coverings, if you get a lifted edge, fuel will continue to penetrate and disolve the adhesive. I try to avoid points on the trim, like star points and flairs with pointed ends. A small radius at the beginning of a flair is more durable than a sharp point. Keep it wiped down and the vinyl material will hold well.
Application, as stated by DL, is as simple as spraying a film of diluted Windex on the surface of the plane and laying the vinyl down on the wet surface. You can shift the vinyl to get it in the correct location and then "squeegee"? the excess fluid out. The sign shop gave me a "squeegee" made especially for that purpose. Pull the squeegee don't push it. A paper towel works well to get the majority of the fluid off before you do a final pass with the squeegee. In a few hours the vinyl will be stuck firm.
Make sure the surface is "CLEAN" before you spray it and apply the vinyl, otherwise small specks will stand out like you left a rock under the covering.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Muldoer

I get my sign vinyl from a local art supply chain. May be worth checking out if you have art supply stores in your area.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:33 PM
MrGreenSpeed

If You get any air bubbles under the vinyl after it's dry just poke them with a pin and smooth them out.
Jeff
Old 11-02-2005, 12:42 AM
propjobbill

Thanks to everyone for the great tips advice and information.

Thanks, Bill