Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Low-wing spad, how do you mount it??

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Low-wing spad, how do you mount it??

Old 11-04-2005, 12:54 AM
KyFBCGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low-wing spad, how do you mount it??

I was looking around at some of my scraps the other day and before i knew it, i had a 2MM, 48" wing built with ailerons.

I wanted to make it alow wing plane but im not sure what would be a good way to connect the wing to the
fuselage. It is a single spar wing with a gap in the center wide enough to mount a gutterpipe between
the inside part of the wing. I was thinking of mounting it by cutting a groove in the gutterpipe wide enough to
accept the main spar of the wing so that it would fit flush with the bottom of the fuselage.
I was going to also glue a wing wrap on the bottom of the wing so it had a good sturdy base to
secure the wing to the fuselage. I could either use rubber bands or bolts to secure it to the fuselage.
I was also thinking of putting some guide pins on the leading and trailing edge of the wing, between the halfs, to help align it
properly whe it is secured.

Anybody have some pics of how they connect the wings on their low wing Spads??

thanks!!

Jeff
Old 11-04-2005, 04:53 AM
Clean

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Low-wing spad, how do you mount it??

Sounds good to me. Remember to temporarily mount the wing to the fuselage and move it around to get the correct CG then mark where your spar cut will be on the fuse. Some folks'll cut that wing groove and then add lead when if they would have just moved the wing forward or back a half inch it'd be right from the getgo.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Horizon

ORIGINAL: KyFBCGuy

I was looking around at some of my scraps the other day and before i knew it, i had a 2MM, 48" wing built with ailerons.

I wanted to make it alow wing plane but im not sure what would be a good way to connect the wing to the
fuselage. It is a single spar wing with a gap in the center wide enough to mount a gutterpipe between
the inside part of the wing. I was thinking of mounting it by cutting a groove in the gutterpipe wide enough to
accept the main spar of the wing so that it would fit flush with the bottom of the fuselage.
I was going to also glue a wing wrap on the bottom of the wing so it had a good sturdy base to
secure the wing to the fuselage. I could either use rubber bands or bolts to secure it to the fuselage.
I was also thinking of putting some guide pins on the leading and trailing edge of the wing, between the halfs, to help align it
properly whe it is secured.

Anybody have some pics of how they connect the wings on their low wing Spads??

thanks!!

Jeff
Look at post 32 here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...mpage_2/tm.htm I can take some more detailed pics tonight if you want. But you are on the right track!
Old 11-04-2005, 06:23 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Leaving the middle of the wing open with the spar exposed, and then cutting a notch in the fuselage for the spar is IMHO the best way to mount a low wing. I've tried three methods (slotted fuselage, cutting a wing saddle, and just rubberbanding it to the bottom with some shims in front and back).

Don't forget the pictures.

Brad
Old 11-04-2005, 11:14 AM
voyager_663rd

The Demon is low wing and mounts very easily. http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Demon/