Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Debonair landing/nose gear selection...

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Debonair landing/nose gear selection...

Old 11-05-2005, 01:43 AM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debonair landing/nose gear selection...

Just wondering what landing and nose gear I need to buy for the Debonair. I don't see that info.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:44 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Debonair landing/nose gear selection...

I just use 1/8 X 1 inch aluminum stock from lowes or Home Depot for the landing gear. On the nose gear I just bought a nose gear from my LHS that fit in the motor mount. The gear that you make with the aluminum stock is soft so you will have to straighten it from time to time during those less picturesque landings.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:27 PM
BillBabe

I also use the 1/8" x1" stock aluminum bar from Lowes or Home Depot. The 36" piece will make 2 gears. Draw yourself a full size pattern on graph paper then secure the piece in a vice and shape with a hammer. be very careful and do not over-bend. Get the dimensions from any commercial landing gear. Once the gear is made measure the axle mounting holes from the mounting surface. Use standard 8-32 screws as the axlels and nylon stop nuts to secure the axle to the lg and the wheel to the axle.

It is very important as as a Spader to be as innovative in construction as possible. I am on my second Deb but I am making it a tail dragger as this eliminates having to purchase the nose gear.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:42 AM
hobbyncrafts

I'm Ken of 'hobbyncrafts'. Have been making custom carbon fiber landing gear for over 5 yrs. If you would like to go a bit more 'high tech' with a carbon fiber gear, you can email me with dimensions needed direct at
[email protected]
I may have something in stock that would fit the bill as far as a gain gear.....and sure could make one if I didn't.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:21 PM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Oh, thats ok. I appreciate it but I'm sure I can make do with the LHS stuff or make my own.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:23 PM
ChrisSpad

the great planes large 60 size dural gear is what i prefer - its big enough to give adequate prop clearance - when used with 3" wheels.

Personally, i really don't care for the gear that you bend yourself - it bends way too easy for my taste - not that the other won't bend, it will - but it takes alot harder hit to bend it signifcantly.

I think dubro also make an unbreakable gear thats pretty slick - looks like its made of some kind of plastic or fiberglass - and will really take a beating.