Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

spad3d wing bending

Old 05-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Mr. Canadian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spad3d wing bending

Hi, I have a QHOR with a spad3d wing on it and the wing keeps bending in the air when i'm flying, doing some simple loops. Is there anyway to strengthen the wing by maybe putting some metal rods in the flutes?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:20 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Default RE: spad3d wing bending

Is there anyway to strengthen the wing by maybe putting some metal rods in the flutes?
Yup.
I would put a 4mil carbon fiber rod so it go's through the fuse about the middle of the wing where the flutes line up with the fuse.
Then I'd put one in the last flute before the aileron hinge.
You could use 5/32 wire but it adds a lot of weight.

Also I've found putting EPP foam in the fold of the leading edge helps too, if You can it.
Jeff
Old 06-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Mitty

The best thing to do is go walmart and buy a barbeque sqewrls also called shishcabab or something like that.You can find it where they sell salt peper and where they sell spoons,plastic dishes etc.
Then find a few straight piwses and just drive them in to the flutes.They made out of bamboo and they are very light.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:41 AM
Scott Crownover

I agree with what Jeff posted, all of those suggestions are worth taking. It will make a huge diff in the way the plane flys. I used carbon rod on one but had trouble finding a size just right for the flutes...ended up gluing the carbon rods into Sullivan red pushrod outers, then guing these into the flutes. Works great, but personally I think the 5/32 wire works great as well. The weight penalty is not too bad unless you're looking for all out hovering performance. The main thing is to put one all the way through the wing and through the U-channel to give rigidity.