Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

homemade electric SPAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:44 PM
snowboyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: homemade electric SPAD

Hey Louis,

I admire your approach - great initiative. Taking what you have and giving it a go. If you really have no money. I suggest you make a glider with your setup. Can you get your servos to work the control serfaces to control its flight? Can you get it to fly 20, 40 or 50 feet from shoulder launch. That would be a great success!

If you get success there, then you could learn to slope soar or then explore the power setup.

You might experiment with power set up and then find your plane will not work (then you could come and get the help from these experts!).

Have fun
Old 10-26-2011, 11:10 PM
debay
My Feedback: (1)

I know this is old, I was wondering if the young man ever made any progress. I am currently building my own SPAD using some parts from a recently deceased Apprentice. I'm going to run a G25 in it and either run a 3 cell 3000 mAh 11 volt lipo or 3 cell 2200 mAh lipo in it. I'm still working on what prop I need. Any suggestions?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, don't use an aluminium home made prop

Keep it as light as possible and add more wing area to create lift to counter the excess weight that is inherent to coroplast planes. Think about a flat stab wing. If you have access to the 1/8th inch corplast then you will be able to get away with more due to it's weight savings.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:24 PM
debay

I'm thinking of hole cutting the fuselage and wings and then covering that with with thin vinyl to take out some weight.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 AM
debay

ORIGINAL: export!

I made this SPAD out of 2mm coro and it flies great. I can look up the plans if you like but it's called a BUGI.

I'll take u up on that. I want the Plans as well as what guts u stuffed in her.

For the OP of this thread, slow down a little, read up some more, get an idea of what your doing first. Read the tutorial on electric flight systems. That will tell you a lot of what you need to know. I wish I would of read it before I posted a zillion odd questions. Just so you know, a 25 size motor (about as small a motor as you want to go) will carry you up to about 5lbs of plane. It may not scream but it should fly. In SPAD terms this roughly a 40-48" wingspan using a Canadian downspout fuselage. That's not difinative or absolute, just a rough idea of what you will need.