Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Gas powered Spad Planes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 10:39 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gas powered Spad Planes?

Is there many Gas powered Spad planes? If you have any photos please post them. Thanks Capt,n
Old 02-09-2003, 10:51 PM
ChrisSpad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that ones of my G 62 powered Cap 232. 96" span.

Thats Kraut, and John standing in front of my other 2 gassers. The Bipe has a 31cc ryobi conversion on the front, and the CLT (Cub Like Thing) has a 45cc Homelite on it.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:25 AM
captinjohn

Nice Photos. How do the planes fly? Also what can you tell me about the camera used. Very clear. Thanks CaptinJohn
Old 02-10-2003, 03:32 AM
ChrisSpad

the camera is a sony movica. Its old, i need a new one, but it does ok.

The cap was the first big plane i built. I've never really been happy with it. Although the wing loading is about 27 oz/ft, it flies like its heavier. Not sure why, but it does.

The other two fly great. The bipe flies like a bipe, and the CLT flies like, well, a cub on major steriods. It hovers at about half throttle, and pulls out great. It will even hold a knife edge.

They both are alot of fun, and nothing sounds as good as a gasser.

There's more of them around, i am surprised no one else has posted any pics.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:55 AM
AtomHeartMother

Just saw this thread...sure I'll shamelessly post yet another shot of my ugly stick spad gasser thingy!
Chris is right. I love flying all kinds of planes, but a big gasser has a different sound and feel that has to be experienced.
This a 14lb spad. 6 foot wingspan, 31cc Ryobi swinging an 18x10 prop.

Old 02-10-2003, 03:57 AM
grant-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

These are pics of my big spad I had the ryobi 31cc on there in this pic , but I have moved up to a quadra 50 and I am trying the homey 45 also. Bothe the quadra and homey have plenty of power. this baby flys really well. This is just a basic design very simple and tough. fuse is 60 inchs wing is 80 inchs.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:09 AM
SeacretsOceanCity

Default weed whacker

ARE some of these weed whacker motors? cant be that simple.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:12 AM
ChrisSpad

The bipe is a ryobi weedie conversion. The clt is a Homelite 45cc chainsaw engine. The cap is a Zenoah G 62 with RCignition.
I believe AHM, and Grant's both have (or had) a ryobi 31cc weedie conversion on them.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:30 AM
SeacretsOceanCity

Great I have 3 of these laying around Time to get started thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 03:40 PM
captinjohn

Default spad materials

Grant: Is the white and yellow plane capable of flying inverted. What airfoil did you use? It looks like it is more flat bottom than symetrical? Is the fuse a piece of plastic downspout for water? Is it possible to make cut-outs to make it lighter? Thanks John. P.S you guys look like your having more fun on a low budget!
Old 02-10-2003, 04:14 PM
cabpond

Default Weedeater conversion

Help Gassers !!!

I've been flying 2 cycle engines for quite some time now, not wanting to get into the expense of a "Big" plane

Now that I discovered SPAD and have flown two designs (Plas stick and Demon), I'm ready to move up to the "Big Boys" of gas powered flight.

I particularily like Chris spads Cap 232 with the 96" wing span. I'm thinking of building a smaller version-say 75" wingspan and using 2x3 PVC for the fuelsalage.

What size gas engine would I need with this, and how do you "convert" them to fly ?

Is there a thread posted on the subject of weed engine conversions that will explain this ?

Thans, Cary
Old 02-10-2003, 04:35 PM
grant-RCU

Is the white and yellow plane capable of flying inverted. What airfoil did you use? It looks like it is more flat bottom than symetrical? Is the fuse a piece of plastic downspout for water? Is it possible to make cut-outs to make
Yes it flys inverted! the airfoil is flat bottom. I dont know why they fly so well inverted. I have a 40 size spad with the same shape and it does well also.
Fues is 4 mm coro plast wraped around 4 4inch pvc fence post formers. Its turned out light like it is. The plane weighs between 13 to 14 lbs ready to fly. I did have a ryobi 31cc weed whacker engine on it but upgraded to a homelite 45cc chainsaw engine. I also have a quadra 50 I am trying now.
you guys look like your having more fun on a low budget!
Oh Boy are we having fun!!! Its nice to have a 1/4 scale plane that costs less than 20 bucks!
Old 02-10-2003, 04:40 PM
grant-RCU

Cary,
I would recomend the homelite 45 for a conversion. you can get the saw for around 170 bucks and all you have to do is take the engine out and remove the nut from the flywheel and screw on a prop hub. you will also need to make some mounting tabs on to screw onto the crankcase. these tab will be attached to a hangar 9 ultra mount. And thats about it to the conversion.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:10 PM
cabpond

Default Thanks Grant

Thanks Grant for the info.

This will get me started on this engine. What size prop would you use on this engine ?
Old 02-10-2003, 09:04 PM
cabpond

Default Cap 232 Wing construction

Chris:

Could you please tell me how you constructed your wing for the cap 232.

I'm going to use a smaller version and like the tapered design.

Thanks Cary
Old 02-10-2003, 11:17 PM
ChrisSpad

Well, the wing is kinda tough to explain.

I built 2 versions. The first worked ok, but was too small for the weight of the plane, it was 4 mil coro, with 2 spars, and ribs. Way too much trouble. The wings are plug in units. Similar to most big plane's wings.
I used 2 spars, spaced for a piece of tubing to slide in between them. then i enclosed the tubing in a box, and glued it in place.
A smaller piece of tubing fits through the wings, and fuselage, and is held in position by pins and safety clips.
There is a smaller tube at the rear of the wing that sets the incidence.

As far as building a tapered wing, you just build it tapered. Its symmetrical, so you fold the coro up, and then insert the spar afterwards, and dribble glue down it.

Without running alot of math, its hard to say what powerplant to run. I would guess, though, for one that size, a 45cc homey would be plenty of oomph. MAybe even a 31cc ryobi, if you could keep it to 10 or 11 lbs.

If you haven't built a few spads from the plans yet, i highly recommend starting there, it gives you a feel for how to work with coroplast, and what it takes strengthwise to make them work. Ask Grant what i mean.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:27 PM
ChrisSpad

Oh, there's bunches of pictures of the giant cap on my website, on the old index.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:51 PM
cabpond

Default Cap 232 plans

Chris:

Having trouble finding the plans you have for the Cap 232 on your website. Could you "guide" me to their locaiton ?

Thanks

Cary
Old 02-11-2003, 04:11 PM
captinjohn

Default BUILDING

Grant: Can you guide me to some threads on how to build the yellow and white plane. I am new to the spad giant planes. Thanks Capt,n
Old 02-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Tattoo

Can you guide me to some threads
Here are a couple forum topics that deal with the "big Spads"

Big Gun Spads

http://spadworld.net/viewforum.php?f=19

Gassers (engines)

http://spadworld.net/viewforum.php?f=11
Old 02-11-2003, 06:37 PM
captinjohn

Default spad planes

Hey thanks Guys....I got to go back and read this stuff...very good way to have some fun with your gas engine conversions. God Bless.... Captinjohn
Old 02-11-2003, 06:55 PM
grant-RCU

John,

Well its basic design. the fuse you would get a sheet of coro 48 to 60 inchs long with the flutes running the long way. now you need some fence post 4in square. for the engine mount cut off a 4inch peice of the fence post and get a hloe saw to lighten it as its very heavy. now make 3 1inch wide formers. and on the tail I used a 10 inch peice of fence post and removed almost all of the material from three sides to lighten it up. I left the top side soild so that I could screw on the tail feathers.

now to do the fuse, lay the front former flush and straight with the front and side edge of the coro. Now find the 2 flutes closest to the side of the former and score them. Now take the former off and bend the coro over on its self a few times to lossen it up. Ok repeat this step intil you have a box folded up. you will have 5 bends. the 5th bend will over lap the bottom of the fuse.

Once you get the coro scored up now you want to roll the fuse up over the formers. This can be alittle tricky. most people glue them in but I just used sheet metal screws on mine. Its hard to explain how to do it. but it not that hard.

now the wing is 2mm coro and the spar is 1x2 pine from lowes or home depot. I would wiegh it it i were you as it seems to vary a bit in weight. a 8 ft section of it that I used weight 1 lb 10 ounces.

The overall chord on my wing is 16 inchs the alirons are 2inchs wide and 36 inchs long. spar is at I think 4 inchs from the le.

Wing is bolted on with 4 1/4 inch nylon bolts. I used 3/16 ply plates in the fuse to hold the wing bolts in as studs. I also added a strip to the inside front of my wing for added support.

fire wall is cutting board or you could use wood. the landing gear is a stinger gear. I have a 7.5 inch ply plat in the fuse that accepts the 2 1/4 inch steel Lg bolts. I also spaced the Lg from the fuse with a peice of cutting board.

The tail is 20% of the wing area. Same principles as the smaller spads just blown up!

I hope this helps out.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:09 PM
captinjohn

Default spads

Grant: Thanks again for the good ideas. Now if I can get my grandson interested...we will be flying one this summer. Capt,n
Old 02-21-2003, 04:29 AM
captinjohn

Default Giant Gas Spads

How about a update on Giant Gas Spad Planes....need to see more photos....wnat to build one. Thanks Captinjohn