Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

(QHOR & SPA3D plans here) Wing with no spar and no glue needed

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

(QHOR & SPA3D plans here) Wing with no spar and no glue needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (QHOR & SPA3D plans here) Wing with no spar and no glue needed

That was a great flight report 3D Romeo! The little SPA3D sounds great!

I totally love the FP's. I saw how many planes you've used it on so I am sure you know what I'm talking about. Last year I had a student that had one with only 2 tankfulls through it. I asked, and he let me take his apart along with 4 of mine that I took apart. The 4 of mine were HIGHLY abused, getting use on club trainers and on Q 500's with smaller than recommended props . I am a toolmaker and I carefully measured all of the components for wear. Result - NONE!!! Even the most worn measured within a few tenths of the new one! Sorry to make you trudge through all this, but I'm saying it to say that I'd bet it all that your FP is fine still. Maybe your clunk got pushed forward or some dirt got lodged in your needle orifices. At any rate, I bet it's fine (unless maybe you hit a rock or something). If your low speed needle was fine before the doink, it should not have needed to be changed. Heheee, I have an FP on my PBF too and I love it. Mine are all getting pretty old, but I was glad to find that I think they will be good to go for a long time.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:58 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

I ended up putting another trusty old OS 40FP in the SPA3D yesterday...just for a quick fix. If I have the same problem with the engine quiting, then I'll know it's most likely something to do with the fuel system. If it works out fine, then I'll have to inspect the old FP a little closer. But a quick inspection of it doesn't show anything wrong with it. It's still got compression, and I don't see any of the sell-tale flaking of the nickel plating on the piston (when viewed thru the exhaust port). I'm sure it probably still will be fine for somthing else down the road. But I figured I'd give the old girl a rest...she's worked hard for me over the years!

...By the way, I got my 32x32 SPA3D all fixed up and ready to go again (except for the stickers...sorry Johnnylightning)! To bad the weather is suppose to be bad for the next 4 days where I live!

P.S. - I agree that the OS 40FP is weak compared to other 40 size motors...but it seems to work out fine in 25 size applications! I also noticed that an old OS 35FP I have has a different style muffler than the newer 40FP's. It's an 1/8" shorter...but the exhaust port on the back is half the length, and has a much bigger I.D! I think I'll try this muffler out on the 40 and see if I gain anything. I also didn't know that the new 40FP Mufflers came with a Baffle in them until now!
Old 08-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Goinstraightup

OOOF, that stinks about the weather. I hope to get some flying in on the long weekend.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:32 AM
Topeka Tom

Default Weather

It was much cooler here today.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:43 AM
3D Romeo

Things might be looking up for this weekend...The weather forcast isn't as bad as it was suppose to be! Mostly Cloudy and 5-10 MPH Winds!

...I just may have another flight report for you after tomorrow!
Old 08-30-2003, 04:15 AM
Topeka Tom

Default Weather

How bad was it supposed to be?????
Old 08-30-2003, 08:18 AM
3D Romeo

Thunderstorms!
Old 08-31-2003, 01:29 AM
Topeka Tom

Default Weather

Flash flood watches and warnings for the next couple of days. Time to break out the floats!
Old 08-31-2003, 06:46 AM
3D Romeo

We were talking at the flying field today if it would be possible to make floats for these SPA3D's out of plastic Pop bottles...anybody ever try that out yet?

Anyway, I got to fly my 32x32 SPA3D a bunch more today with an 11x4 instead of the 10x4 that I had the first time out. It pulled MUCH better! But I also found out that the OS 40FP that I swapped out for my old one wasn't broken-in quite as much as I thought it was. So it was running pretty rich. It wouldn't even let me lean it out...unless the 11x4 was a little bit much for it. In any case, I thought it worked great on it!

Didn't do much new today with it other than a whole bunch of Blenders that ended up in slooowly descending inverted flat spins (which I'm sure if you get it right will actually climb). The Blenders are pretty violent, and I couldn't get enough of them!

I also find that I can land this plane better doing Harrier Landings rather than conventional ones! So pretty much every landing today was the Harrier type! As a matter of fact, allot of my last flight of the day was spent just Harriering the thing all around the field before settling her down. Now that I feel more comfortable with it, I plan on bringing it down a few feet more next time and try to do some intermittent tail touches while harrier around! Should be fun!

***I need some advice on a weird flight characteristic I noticed on mine***

I was going to try a Rolling Circle today and noticed that when I roll inverted it will loop out of it hands off! I've had planes that needed a slight amount of pressure to fly inverted, and others that were neutral needing no pressure at all to fly inverted...but I never had a plane that continued upward into a loop after rolling inverted! I know that it's probably do to the amount of down elevator I got dialed into it to keep the nose from pointing upward while flying around. I don't think my CG has anything to do with it, because I'm just about at the spar (maybe one flute back at best). Is this normal on these planes or do I need to adjust something differently? Will increasing the amount of up (+Spoileron) in the Ailerons help this? I adjusted them up more since the first day...but maybe not enough? Instead of having the top of the aileron parallel with the bottom of the channel I have the bottom corner of the aileron about even with the bottom of the channel now?

Other than that...I can't wait to fly it some more! I flew it at a different field today, and I think at least 2 more people want them now! That's at least 4 converts now in only 2 trips out!!!

Sorry...having to much fun to take time adding stickers!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:36 AM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Default How well does the Gee Bee Fly?

Hey All, I am getting ready to start on my next SPAD and was going to build a QHOR with a Super Tiger .29 with a tuned Pipe ( Great Runner 9x6 at 15000!!) But, I see the Awesome looking Gee Bee with the Norvel .25 and Wonder if it Flys as well as or Hopefully Better than the QHOR. Any Input Out There?

Thanks Daddyo57
Old 09-01-2003, 03:06 AM
Topeka Tom

What color were you thinking of???
Old 09-01-2003, 03:10 AM
propfinger
My Feedback: (4)

Default spad ciggy/spad 3d

Hey Tattoo Hey Boogerboy !I was flying with one of your old buddies down here in Tennessee. Ben Morrow.creator of the Piranha. I flew my first self built spad today. the ciggy. I did some of my own mods too. It has a super tigre 45 and delta tail with rudder. needless to say its heavy. I let Ben fly it and he rated it 9.7 on the anal pucker scale.It seems to be real hairy on the elevator. Ben thought that the airfoil design was bad But this part I did as planned. After further looking i found that my airfoil block ( yard stick block) had flown its own way. I am thinking that this might have caused some of the problem. I need to cut the fat off of her too. I need a good 25 and maybe remove one or two 5/32 steel rods that i installed o reduce wing flex. Just learning here. I think I am going to love spads.I am now working on a spad 3d design only blown to a 48 inch x 36 inch wing and putting a ys 61 rear ex with tuned pipe.Am I Crazy?!!! Any advice from you spad pros would be appreciated. thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	106234_21600.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	34725  
Old 09-02-2003, 04:27 PM
Goinstraightup

Default 32 32 .40 Spa3d..

Mark,

That sounds great about your plane. Sounds like fun!

My 36 36 PQHOR has the same inverted characteristics that you talked about your small spa3d having.

I see that the smaller plane must be much snappier. I tried some blenders Saturday, and they were just mush. I could get it into the flat spin after the mushy roll though.

Yeah!, I love the harrier landings too! Sometimes I land with it in too much high angle, and it results in a cartwheel . I've been really lucky lately and my cartwheel harrier landings have ended up with the plane sitting upright and no damage. It's so funny. I just love doinking these coro planes and laughing at myself!

Jeff
Old 09-02-2003, 04:47 PM
3D Romeo

Jeff

I guess if the inverted climb characteristic is normal, I'll just live with it...it's so fun I can forgive it for one bad habit!

It rained this morning, and I'm trying to fix up my UCD after a little mishap...but I should have the 32x32 SPA3D out at the field tomorrow...I can't wait!!!

Everyone Else

If you don't have one yet what are you waiting for?