Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Is my Debonair too heavy?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Is my Debonair too heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 03:15 AM
kj7ww

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my Debonair too heavy?

I am working on a debonair. Have only built balsa in the past. The debonair, especially the wing seems much heavier than I am used too. I plan on using an OS 46 FX, for power. I am building exactly to the plan posted on the SPAD site.

Will this puppy fly for me?
Old 02-18-2003, 03:35 AM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Yes it will definetely fly with the the .46 fx!! I flew mine with as little as a .35 os and as big as a .46 ....the .40 la was the best for training purposes,the .35 had to run above 1/2 throttle to keep the nose up good. the .46 should scream. You put 5 inches of dihedral?? It will not roll tight,but you can build the same wing as a stick or less angle..I built one for a friend with 3 inches and it rolls pretty good and lands alot better.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:38 AM
bambam-RCU

Yes.
With a 46 on the nose it will fly very well in fact.
I just test flew my BUHOR today. Fuse & gear is by the plans but I made a 6 foot wing for it. After I got it trimmed I puttered around at 1/4 throttle for 10 minutes. When I came down I still had a half tank left. It floats a little too good. I had to walk 100' to get it and I tried to land it in front of me. The wind picked the nose up & I had already cut the engine.

Mine weighs 6 1/2 lbs. & I have an OS 40LA on the front swinging an APC 11x3 prop. If mine will fly like any trainer, your's should be able to do mild aerobatics with that 46 on the nose. Have fun.

Link to the page.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:47 AM
Woodsy

My first Deb was built with all 5mm coro and weighed over 7lb, with a 46 it still flew real sweet, the dead stick glide was a bit steep but other than that no probs
Old 02-19-2003, 04:26 AM
kj7ww

It does have the 5" of dihedral. I can build another wing with less if this one isn't exciting enough for me. I appreciate the replies!! Need to finish it up, maybe I can do the maiden this weekend or next.