Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

6 foot wing on Debonair??

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

6 foot wing on Debonair??

Old 02-19-2003, 10:37 AM
KS_Pyro
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 foot wing on Debonair??

I'm building my first Debonair and I was thinking about extending the wing out to 6'. Any thoughts on this? Should the size of the tail feathers be increased as well? I'm planning on powering this with a Super Tiger .49. Any input welcome.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 02-19-2003, 12:41 PM
ChrisSpad

Yes, if you increase the size of the wing, you would need to increase the size of the tail feathers as well. However, due to the all up weight with that large of a wing, its gonna be getting pretty heavy, and its pretty heavy to start with. One of my students built one with a 72" wing, and used an os 61 fx to power it with. For a 49, i'd stick to the stock size, but thats just my opinion.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:13 PM
twilli77
My Feedback: (2)

I'd have to agree with Chris. I have been flying my deb (standard size) and powering it with a TT pro .46. It flys well, don't get me wrong, but it isn't really "hauling it around". I tried it with a TT pro .61 and had some torque problems as being very nose heavy. Anyway, if I was going to go that large (and it will be heavy unless you go to 2 mil on the wings) I would go up in the .60's for your engine. If you do that it should be a doll....

I need to build a bigger plane for that .61 cause it really pulls 'em around.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:56 AM
KS_Pyro

Thanks for the input guys. Just finished cutting all the parts out. I did go with the stock wing.

My original reasoning for the larger wing was because I wanted big and slow...this is (hopefully) the plane that is gonna teach me to fly.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 02-20-2003, 08:55 PM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Actually,just so happens I have a 6 foot wing made from all 4mil coro. I built it per the deb plans except,1 ft longer and 3 inches of dihedral. I had it on my big deb with a .61 Merco.It would scream! My flying buddy strapped the same wing on his normal deb,with a .40 LA and it pulled it around well.Take off roll was maybe 10 feet longer,but landings were beautiful! It seemed to fly great in 15 -20 kt. winds,alot better than the standard wing. It would roll pretty well and would fly inverted much better.So to answer your question it will and does work.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Woodsy

I had a Deb wing that i stretched the cord by 2" and it greatly improved the glide, you could also consider the BUHOR for a trainer as the wing loading is beter than the Deb
Old 02-21-2003, 01:10 AM
KS_Pyro

Thanks for the input. I made a standard wing for mine already but I am now considering making an extra wing that incorporates both of the above. 6 foot wing with an extra 2" of cord. I have a .61 that I can use it the .49 isn't enough power.

I bought the stuff to make a BUHOR to. That's the next one I'm putting together. Will it make a better trainer? The Deb looked more indestructible which, judging from my past attempts at learning to fly, would definitely be a plus.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 02-21-2003, 02:36 AM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

I taught myself how to fly :stupid: I went through 3 deb fuses after probably 30 flights and several engine mounts and a dozen or more(most likely more ) props! That is the only thing that failed,my first set of tail feathers and three wings are still flying to this day! I can't really say if the aluminum fuses hold up better,i built my first one this week. If you ask Tattoo I am sure he will have that answer.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Tattoo

I can't really say if the aluminum fuses hold up better,i built my first one this week. If you ask Tattoo I am sure he will have that answer.
Actually, I don't...one thing I haven't done yet is crash test a BUHOR! I've heard of one doing battle with a tree though...and the auminum survived!
Old 02-21-2003, 04:48 PM
nukes

Here is mine. She has a TT 60 on it though. 72" wing on reg deb fuse. Made the wing out of both 4 mil bottom and 2 mil top. I think my control serfaces on the wing are too small, only time will tell. Will she fly? We will see.

Jonathan