Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Hinge options

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:59 PM
BillBabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinge options

I am building a model with 48 inch ailerons. What are my hinging options? The standard corro hinge will be too stiff. Is there a cloth type material that I can sandwich between the wing top and bottom and then the aileron top and bottom?
Old 01-05-2008, 08:05 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hinge options

I used the coro hinge...but cut a bunch of slits in it to loosen it up.....
just so the coro wasn't solid for the whole length of the hinge
Old 01-05-2008, 08:18 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Robart Hinge Points glued in with poly glue would work.
Simple, quick and easy.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Cr@shm@ster

My $.02 I would just cut away some of the coro in the joint like exeter acres was saying its quick and easy and best of all free.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 PM
BillBabe

I have built at least 6 spads and always found that cutting away a part of the material in the aileron hinge worked OK. I posted this question because this plane has a very large span and is causing me some concern. I also use separate aileron servos located in the center of each wing span. This still remains my first choice. I feel the hinge points would cause me some problems in installing. So again, what other techniques, if any, are used on large planes?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:29 PM
MrGreenSpeed

An other technique is to carefully/lightly sand the hinge line, then check buy folding the aileron up and down a few times.
Just don't sand too much or You'll be putting hinge points in

Then use dual servos on each aileron equally spaced instead of using one large hi-torque servo.
Jeff
Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 PM
quepasa

I know next to nothing about SPADs, but would figure out a way to use monokote hinges if were me. I've used them for years and NEVER had one fail. Do you guys cover the SPADS with monokote? Will monokote stick to coroplast? IF it will ,and ya do, there is no better hinge when done properly for a long or short controal surface on a balsa model IMO. Would this work in this case?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:18 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Will monokote stick to coroplast?
It's bin tried and doesn't work, or no one has bin able to make it work yet.
Clear packing tape or fiber reinforced tape works until it gets fuel/oil on it.
Experimentation is what Spadding is all about and bouncing ideas around is a great way of coming up with new techniques.
Jeff[8D]
Old 01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Wierd
I just posted a hinge repair answer in the post just above this one.[sm=idea.gif]
Go "OLD SCHOOL" and sew a hinge using braided dacron fishing line. Very old and functional hinge. sew a figure 8 stitch with the middle of the 8 being the hinge line. THIS method is WAY older than I am and I fart dust! THis is a super good way to repair those post crash tears that show up on the ailerons. You can use a hot nail to make the holes ahead of time if you want but I don't bother.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:07 PM
BillBabe

Yes experimenting is what it's all about.

While investigating your idea of the thread hinge, I found this link on another post. I am going to try the close sewn hinges.

http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/knot.htm
Old 01-07-2008, 05:47 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Good luck and please post pics if You can, there's no reason why it wouldn't work.
Looking at the close sewn hinge pics I would say to glue a bamboo skewer in the flutes closest to the hinge line( on both the aileron and the TE ) then put the slot in the next flute.
Just thinking out loud.

Jeff[8D]
Old 01-29-2008, 11:50 PM
MYHELIGUY

use the string used for bow fishing,its about the strongest you'll find. cut about 12 inch long piece,hang it up,coat it with ca glue,dry real good,cut it to the length's you need for hinges,drill a hole in the coroplast where you want hinge,both pieces,glue the ca string in the holes,do all the preferred hinges holes string at the same time,let dry,slowly bend the elevator or aileron,the ca glue will flex off,and you possibly have the best strongest hinges.and very light weight.you can use larger diameter string for larger hinge making.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 PM
TruBlu02

Has anyone tried using CA Hinges? I use them on my balsa models and they are incredibly easy to use and completely indestructible.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 PM
MrGreenSpeed

ORIGINAL: TruBlu02

Has anyone tried using CA Hinges? I use them on my balsa models and they are incredibly easy to use and completely indestructible.
If You glue a balsa strip into the TE and use balsa control surfaces it would work .
I doubt a CA hinge would hole as there isn't enough surface area in the coro flute to hold the hinge.
Besides the regular coro hinge is so easy ...why make it more complicated than necessary.

The Spad thing to do would be to try CA hinges in a coro mock-up to see how it looks/works.
Jeff[8D]