Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

2008 SPADFEST Website

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Team_Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2008 SPADFEST Website

Hey EB,
Sounds like we'll have 6-8 folks Thursday night. Maybe we can get your tent set up faster than you guys sticking Eli with it last year.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 AM
elit95

TM,
I believe Eli was helping Clean assemble his tent. I think Clean was having problems trying to decide if he was building a flying machine or shelter. I pretty sure it fully filled all needed propertys for both........It had plenty of lift.

Team Abby Normal
Old 03-06-2008, 07:00 AM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

I did have some difficulty in figuring out how the tent was supposed to come together and had to ask for help . Some of the guys are bound to wander over to the campgrounds for a nip or two at Jimbo's like last year but I'm hoping we attract a few more guys to night flying !

We just turned in our AMA application for SPADFEST so maybe we'll see it published sometime in July (LOL).
Old 03-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

I'll have three night fliers with me this year!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Mike P

Hi All,
RIOND has the time off, we've a couple of planes, a couple gallons of fuel, good attitudes and hope in our hearts. Spadfest looms on the horizon!
That so and so RIOND got all hyper and told me that he was building a .15 FNS out of clear coro. We had both purchased the Wal Mart battery operated lights last winter so he was pretty much equiped for night flying. Then he had the audacity to actually show me how he had rigged the lights to work on a 4.8v battery. Darn him!! Not being able to stand the fact that he could be the only night flying North Dakotan spadder, I had to join the pack. As far as I know, he's not finished with his and mine is ready for crashing, er, flying! I am thinking of luminescent streameers for a little night combat. Whoooo! I can't fly very well during daylight, let alone night combat but what a concept!!! We've a few painted bowling pins ready to go. I've been watching the threads and the bowling ball canard is just tooooooooooo much!!!. If we ever unthaw, I'd like to try hauling a wiffle ball around some. I still lean towards crashing into the pins as the better, more impressive havoc.
Riond has to make reservations at the park because I forgot what number we were at last year. Gotta be an age thing. Perhaps more of the park will be dry this year. No matter, water helps clean the good Iowa soil from between the toes.
Looking forward to seeing all of you again.

Mike
Old 03-06-2008, 08:11 PM
emailbanter

Great news ! More targets (er, pilots) for night flying. I can't remember if Clean got hit by someone else at night or he did the striking but it's pretty funny to hear things go bump in the night overhead and wonder who got the worst end of it.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:27 AM
TruBlu02

Well I just found out that my squadron will be having its big Operational Readiness Inspection on the 5th and 6th of June. Could not be worse timing. I am still planning on being there as long as all my Programs are up to snuff, which as of right now they are. I already have the leave approved as well. I am hoping to just kinda fly under the radar on this one. Does not look lie we will be leaving till either late thurdays afternoon or early Friday morning. Only about a 9 hour drive for us so we will be there Friday sometime.

Also I was wondering how many people will be staying at the campground as opposed to the field. Me and my buddy are planning on staying at the camground right now.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:50 PM
riond

So my question is can we fly nitro at night! [sm=punching.gif]Or are we limited too electrics? [sm=cry_smile.gif]I figure I could throw togeather a ME109E for night flying and just cut a glowstick open and cover the plane with it. We did that in the military with glow sticks that you had to wear night vision goggles to see it. We could set up night bivouac sites that way and have people just follow the glow to their parking spot. Worked out great. The naked eye could not see the path.

Let me know so Mike P and I can be ready too go. Then I can say I crash day and night.

TruBlu02, Those are some nasty letters, "ORE". Had a few before I retired and hated every one of them. Our State did a Clert followed by a COMET, to a Remobe, to a ORA, to a ORE. This all in 6 months. Not a good time.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 AM
TruBlu02

Riond,
I know how you feel with all those inspection stacked up. Before my current assignment I was assigned to a operational C130 unit as a Jet engine technician. I spent more time prepping for inspections and running around in chem gear than I care to remember. Not so bad this time around though. I'm an instructor now so it is mostly a programs inspection and evaluation of my teaching abilities. Either way SPADfest here I come!!!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

riond, FlyboySC had a Nitro night flyer last year. So, I would assume that it shouldn't be a problem.

Mike P, the bowling ball canard is very nearly ready to test fly. I may have to put skis on it to test fly it the way the weather has been around here!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:01 PM
RU4JESUS2 FALCONGTS

night flying should not be a problem for you guys
Old 03-11-2008, 05:07 PM
RU4JESUS2 FALCONGTS

superbright led are the way to go !!
3 on each wing tip
2 landing lights
1 each side elevator
1 on rudder
1 under and 1 top of fuse
www.superbrightled.com should be it
hope this helps
Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 PM
rrh

we all know we can fly a lit up bird at night, the question is - do we have permission to fly nitro from the club or only electric at night? Flyboyrc demonstrated that nitro could be flown in a very controlled manner - except for the jumping ditch bank - last year but the jumping ditch bank nailed day time flyers as well [:@]
Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 PM
kodaknix

I thought flyboy was showing us a magic trick,a now you see it and now oooooooooooooh Sh@T you dont
Old 03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
RU4JESUS2 FALCONGTS

I very sorry that I offended you guys

I should have read the thread better ( mabe need glasses)

sorry falcon
Old 04-10-2008, 09:46 PM
emailbanter

Oh...nite flying is OK at this site. I'm bringing one of my .25 combat ships and putting as many lights as a separate battery will power.....RH....up for a little night time combat? Now, only if we can figure out how to light up the streamer. Might have to have Clean aim a flashlight on 'em as they pass by.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:42 AM
rrh

Let's do it, joe Let's make sure Clean has flashlights in both hands, I'd hate to be flying by moon light [:@]

r
Old 04-11-2008, 10:13 PM
DLSmith2

ORIGINAL: RU4JESUS2 FALCONGTS

I very sorry that I offended you guys

I should have read the thread better ( mabe need glasses)

sorry falcon

No apology necessary!

I took a look at the site you gave, but didn't see any way to string the lights together (the product pictures weren't working). Do they have them in a string that is light enough for a plane?

SPAD skies,

DL
Old 04-12-2008, 08:59 PM
rrh

??? did some posts disappear ???? or maybe deleted [>:][:@]
Old 04-17-2008, 12:19 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys I drop in and check this thread once in awhile as I am a member of the DesMoines modelaires.. I also hung out with you at last years event though I am sorta low key at flyins. I did want to mention a couple things . Gas and nitro motors aren't supposed to be flown after dark, simply because we don't want the few houses within earshot to get mad at the club, as for electris GO FOR IT.. me and a friend fly foamies until we can barely see them !

The second rule that you may not have heard of is that the club has always tried to avoid flying gas planes before noon on Sunday, simply because there is a church about 3/4 mile west of the field, it might even be a mile . Its a small rural church and you would never even know its there unless you were told. I am not sure they could hear anything smaller than a da 50 at that distance but that has always been the understanding at the club..

Anyhow I didn't want or mean to come in here and be the RULE guy or fun killer, I just thought I would mention it since everyone seemed to have so much fun last year, and wanted to continue using our field.

On to other things, do you guys classify blue foamies ok for the event? Heaven knows there is nothing cheaper, and less traditional ! I have a few of my own design besides 3d types... A pitts, a Mr. Mulligan, even a profile jet pusher. Those foamies are adicitive...
I have also built 3-4 spad designs, and still have a spa3d .. It has had less and less flights lately as I am going more the weedeater conversion, and small electric route.. I never was good tuning a glow motor and the way I burn plugs and knock over fuel bottles the cost was killing me !! ha ha ha

I have been tempted to build some scary strange gas spad for the event but you know how adding one project to the ten you have goes )
Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Team_Monkey

Like you, I'm not "a Rule making guy" but I'd say blue foamies would be fine. It's still the same "design and try it" spirit IMHO.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ton of foamies flying last year. But if flying on Sunday is forbiddon before noon I won't be flying Sunday, hell I'll probably pull out Saturday night. I flew electric at night last year but was going to put my hor up this year. Guess that' a wash now too.

Last year in Iowa for a while. Not worth the trip if you get shut down. Wonder how far out in the pastures you have to go to not ruffle feathers.

F' em.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Clean

Tell ya what REALLY chaps my butt. I don't like driving 4 hours, making an investment in time and money for fun, oh and I did have a lot of fun last year. But in the height of having a good time I was told to sideline it so mr 30,000 dollar piece of 1/3 scale Balsa CRAP could 'Entertain' us and 'Show us how it's done'. Dave McDonald can show us how its done. He can show us how it's done with 40 dollars AND will damn well do it while everyone else is flying. That Elitest HUGE airplane crap that has to have all the field to himself can go spit OR I'll just go somewhere else. Dont' care about it, don't want to care about it, doesn't impress me in the least that the sky is the limit in RC flying. In my opinion he's spent about 28,000 grand on the wrong scale and should be sitting in an airplane. Now, if that's what floats your boats fine. It's a free country. But don't tell me to drive all to hell and back to fly, THEN tell me to sit back and watch mr elitest fly his turdmobile. If it was a twin gas SPAD flying car THEN I would be interested at a SPAD event. If I want to be wowed by the amount of money some folks have to spend in there hobby I'll drive 45 minutes away from home and watch the doctors and lawyers take their turn at 'one at a time' flying.

But that's just me. I don't mind if someone wants to join the fray with a balsa model. Hell I'll fly with everyone. But don't sideline me for some model that isn't even representative of why we're out there. I don't drive to control line contests to watch RC planes fly. Don't demand RC pilots watch while I fly CL, well wait a minute, I guess I did. No, it was A SPAD cl plane at a SPAD event. Never mind, I'm righteous.

And with Righteous Indignation mode now switching off.

dang keyboard seems to be smoking.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:34 PM
kodaknix

Does this mean GAS or GAS and GLOW.Clean I look at it this way there nice enough to have US dont bit@h at themIm just glad there letting us fly there and I think there a great bunch of guys
Old 04-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Clean

Uh, we're nice enough to show up at THEIR place instead of someplace else. They are hosting us. If there are special limitations we need to know about it ahead of time. I've made plans for the last year to go to this place and have it bigger and better. But if it's a case of don't do this or thats, well to heck with em. I think the guys that did the work were pretty nice guys. I think the field is pretty nice too BUT I don't rank it any better than my home field where I can fly 24 hours a day without a problem. Dont' have to shut down when someone wants to show his butt doesn't stink and don't have to drive 4-5 hours to get there. If I would have know about the wonderful display, I would have planned to go take a dump or get some food at that time last year. If it's a rule that we can't fly after dark or before noon on Sunday, well maybe there are other places I should be going. That's like telling the ProBros they can't hover. Whaa? Well then maybe the ProBro event doesn't need to be there.

Now granted, this is just one guy saying, by the way and my reactions to it. If you are going to host an event, you probably should go around to these affected and special interest guys and ask em if it would be ok on this occasion. you know, get a waiver. Invite em in. You know we CAN be presentable and have a good time too. But if half the things I look forward to are off the menu, I'll look for a different menu.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.