Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPAD Swept Wing Canard

Old 04-18-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPAD Swept Wing Canard

Wing span is 47", OS46AX engine with 11X6 APC pusher prop, seven servos, dual rudders. Having a ball figuring out the changes needed to improve the knife edge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89223.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	931897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55220.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	931898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17404.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	931899  
Old 04-18-2008, 12:46 PM

Default RE: SPAD Swept Wing Canard

Cool plane villa! That is definately one interesting flying contraption. Hows it fly?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 PM

It is very interesting to fly. Surprisingly, even though it looks like it is flying backward, not one time in 4 years of flying one have I been disoriented about the direction of flight.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:04 AM

you need more fuse area for better knife edge- or a bigger engine to go faster, or more rudder. Keeping the area of the rudder and the fuse the same above and below the vertical cg of the plane will help with knife edge as well.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:20 PM

chrisspad is correct.. you need a bigger rudder for knfeedge flying.. and I suggest add rudder just infront of the engine and add more profile fuse, so thtracking for knife edge would be better..

or maybe experimenting with front rudder around the canard area..(maybe shuld call it cudder as in canard+rudder) should be interesting to experiment.. but reflection will be super sensitive..

just my opinion
Old 06-13-2008, 05:50 PM

I had way too much ballast up front. I have been slowly removing nose weight and making test flights. The knife edge slowly improved as I removed nose weight. One of these days I will do the CG calculations again to see were I went wrong. I also added more area below the vertical CG between the two wings, plus I increase the vertical stab area with more area below the vertical CG. At the suggestion of another Canard flier at RCUniverse, today I tried a new maneuver with my Canard. Bank to 90 degrees and then full up elevator. Makes a very tight circle and holds altitude without much if any input. Since the Canard cannot do a snap roll I'm glad to have an interesting maneuver.