Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
 Title change: Im gonnabe a spadder now THANKS!! :) >

Title change: Im gonnabe a spadder now THANKS!! :)

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Title change: Im gonnabe a spadder now THANKS!! :)

Old 06-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Title change: Im gonnabe a spadder now THANKS!! :)

The cheap bturd I am I cant see buying the corro. (Actually I just never have both the $$ and the time to drive to Portland where they sell it for less than $15 per 4x8 ~CHEAP~ at the same moment..)

I was going to collect election signs, but missed my chance. I didnt want to just go take em, so I was trying to figure out who to call and ask when they all just vanished .

Edit: FYI just whining because I needed to vent..
Old 06-26-2008, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I would be a spadder but...

you can still call they may have them sitting around waiting to be destroyed.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:00 PM

Good point.. Phone book anyone?

Actually i have an idea who to call now, and will!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:09 PM

I cant see buying a plane for $100 and up when I and my kids are learning. I can build 15 spads for the price of one plane. I have been able to make the progression from trainer to fast planes for alot less. and if I crash, its not a big loss at all. and now spads are an addiction. I got a whole fleet of them and building more. yes I do like to build balsa but right now I couldnt afford it and I HATE monocoat. oh well everybody has there preference and Im glad we all like different stuff and we all like to fly!! thats the most important thing, flying
Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 PM

One thing I learned in building SPADs, is that building one SPAD can cost you almost as much as a balsa plane, but once you get rolling, they become almost free. To build my first SPAD, I ordered a bunch of coro from Harbor Sales, and when I couldn't find gutter pipe locally, I ordered some online, paid them to cut it up, and paid for shipping. It probably cost me $75 to get the coro and gutter pipe for my first SPAD, but then I had enough material to build 3-4 more of them.

Then, I found a local supply of 2 1/2" downspout, which cut the price way down. I still order my coro from Harbor Sales, but I have enough in stock now to build many more planes.

If you can get a bunch of guys to pitch in on a big order of coro, and you can find local gutterpipe, you can easily put an airframe together for under $10. I usually spend more on decals than I spent on the airframe.

And yes, it is very addictive. Since last fall I have built and flown at least 6 SPADs, I have built at least 3 more that ended up being unsuccesful, and I have started at least 3-4 more that I have never bothered to finish (spare combat wings, etc..). And I still have enough gutter pipe, coro, aluminum channel, and firewall plywood to last me for years. I buy #8 self-drilling screws and washers by the box, and they are very cheap.

Go for it.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 PM

yeah the startup can be a little much.I was lucky to have the tools already, I found some 4mm coro localy and downspout localy so I was getting the cheap planes real fast. with three of us flying, me and my two boys, we went thru alot of abuse and a few crashes. if I had balsa, we would have been grounded most of the time. I was able to put that money into a radio for each of us and lots of engines. I even sold 3 trainers to my students. that helped pay for the corro also
Old 06-27-2008, 12:27 AM

ORIGINAL: draftman1

yeah the startup can be a little much.I was lucky to have the tools already, I found some 4mm coro localy and downspout localy so I was getting the cheap planes real fast. with three of us flying, me and my two boys, we went thru alot of abuse and a few crashes. if I had balsa, we would have been grounded most of the time. I was able to put that money into a radio for each of us and lots of engines. I even sold 3 trainers to my students. that helped pay for the corro also
You missed the point, Id have both my Corro AND my 4*60 kit if money wasn't an issue. I need to do this a cheap as i can. I have the motor and the TX / RX combo. What I need is the airframe, and servos.

Airframe gas tank and control push rods can all be fabricated cheaply, or so I thought.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:28 AM

Like you suggest, beyond the airframe there are a lot of components that go into any plane, including a SPAD. Depending on your motivation, skills, and equipment, you can fabricate a lot of things, but I usually buy them. I typically buy fuel tanks, 1/2A control horns, pushrods, clevises, motor mounts and landing gear. Again, these can all be one-time purchases that can be re-used for many SPADs. A lot of guys use scrap PVC to make control horns. I have heard of guys using Fuji water bottles as fuel tanks. You can use bicycle spokes for pushrods. And you can bend your own landing gear. I buy all of my nuts, bolts, zip ties, self tapping screws, eye-bolts, etc.., from the hardware store rather than the hobby shop.

To your original point, starting from scratch and building a SPAD for $10 may be possible, but I think it is the exception rather than the rule. If I averaged out the cost of all the SPADs I have built, I'm sure it is under $20 per plane, but the early ones definitely cost more, and if I built one tomorrow, it would cost me nothing.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 AM

the only things I buy from the hobby shop are fuel tank, motor mount, music wire, wheels and glue. all of the hardware comes from my local ace hardware store. 1" alum for landing gear, screws. dowels, goop, zip ties. I make my control horns from the downspout. the servo tray, if needed from the downspout also. you could call it a hardware store plane.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:13 AM

If this is the norm then one would have to ask why SPAD?? I mean, aside of the fact you are being innovative and different anyhow.

SPADS are advertised as a cheap way to get a plane in the air, but if the first time spadder is going to spend as much on a SPAD as he would on a low to mid level entry ARF why bother??

I think it can be done on the cheap, and I am willing to try, but to be honest I don't want to join the ranks of the SPAD fliers so much that i am willing to spend as much if not more than an old fashioned Balsa plane.

THIS is why I have been searching and asking questions rather than "Order it from Harbor Freight". I want to build my first SPAD in the original tradition of the SPADS. Low cost, durable airframe.

I am not dumb enough to think servos and radio gear can be fabricated, (Well it could if I was an electronics technician licensed to build such things LOL) But the airframe, and assorted hardware CAN be done cheaply, or there would not be the surge in SPAD fliers..
Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM

yeah Adui, your right on the start up costs, if you are going to build just a plane or two it wouldnt be worth it. there are alot of other reasons why guys build and dont build spads. alot of people, that dont build them, because of looks, critisims from balsa pilots, people see them as "trash planes" or not "real planes" or "oh you cant fly a real plane" but most of us dont care what they say. and yes spadders do also fly balsa. I got 2 balsa planes that im building right now. spadders tend to fly more aggresive also. You choose what you like and feel more comfortable with. I dont bash balsa guys but I would like them to see a whole other world of planes than just the normal kits and arfs. like I said it's all about flying and having fun
Old 06-27-2008, 12:57 PM
rrh

Have you asked at the gas station about any old signs they have in the back yet?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:00 PM

Nope, but I plan to ask the guy who delivers soda to the store I live above next time I see him!! (and the store owner as well!)

Thanks again Draftman1!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 PM

You mention critcizm..

Well to be honest one of the reasons I want to FINALLY get a SPAD is to prove one of my instructors wrong!

When I was just getting back at this hobby last fall I asked him what he thought of em. He answered "Well, they dont fly very well"

Whats Ironic is he OWNS one he continually lendsthe club as a trainer. Its akin to the BUHOR but he got it as a kit build when he owned a hobby shop years ago.. He doesnt call it a spad, cant remember what its called..
Old 06-27-2008, 01:35 PM

Default RE: Title change: Im gonnabe a spadder now THANKS!! :)

I take there are no spadders at your club? be fore warned, they will talk but who cares. I have a student, who is a natural pilot, he has the spadstick and he can fly inverted at full throttle 6 to 12 inches off the runway. only after 4 months of flying, and all on spads. he won the combat meet we were in, first time, with a spad, against pros. I have saved probly 700.00 or more in planes that would have been destroyed if they were balsa. and the spadworld guys are the greatest!! go out and prove the naysayers wrong!!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:42 PM

Hmmm...

Lest I come off sounding wrong let me qualify my last post. The person in question is a GREAT pilot and a GREAT instructor, as well as being a good person.

I was just a bit discouraged by his response to SPADS. I must assume, other than his plane, he has not flown many that were built correctly, or for stable flight, of course I have flown none and go only off what I ve read here and on RCU (My assumption here is the Pizza boxes and the other funny shaped SPADS are cool looking but quite a handful to fly).
Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I think some SPADs get a rap for being bad flyiers because some of the wing designs have had sharp leading edges, or a sharp hump at the spar. Sometimes these things can give the model some nasty habits espically near and at stall conditions (slow flight).

I am lucky enough to have built a CNC foam cutter and several of us fly SPADs with foam wings. We are starting to do combat at our club again. All the guys got out of combat years ago because the coro wings they were building had some nasty habits.

So not all SPADs are bad fliers. A lot of SPADS have coro wings and fly great. look for the ones that have the smooth airfoils.

[link=http://www.wichitapilot.com/photo.php?photoid=632&albumid=31&page=1]http://www.wichitapilot.com/photo.php?photoid=632&albumid=31&page=1[/link]

Above is a picture of a SPAD trainer with a foam wing.

Next you mentioned doing this as cheap as possible. I would reccomend highly that you go in with 2-3 people on the startup materials then you can share the costs of a sheet of coro, a bottle of poly glue and the like. Most hobby shops now have servos for 10 bucks.

Rember there is always the old junk/treasures that your club members have. Dont be shy to ask if anyone have a few old servos that they are willing to sell/give away. Maybe if you volunteer to build a trainer for the club then some folks will chip in.

My next project is building a SPAD racer so our club can have fun with a cheap, fast racer. We will be offering kits to our club members for $60, which is less than the cost of an ARF these days. SPADS can be cheap, but nothing is free!
Old 06-29-2008, 01:19 PM

A few things I did to make planes cheaper to build:

- Made friends with a local sign shop owner, and took pics of SPADs to show him what I wanted to do with coro, to reassure him that I wouldn't be using it to make signs and steal his business. Not only can I get 4 mil at a decent price, but he lets me have his scrap sign vinyl free, to decorate the planes with.

- Went to local beer and soda distributors and asked for old coro signs, telling them what I wanted them for. You can use a lot of different shapes/sizes of signs for wings, tail feathers, and even the fuselage.

- Made motor mounts out of Wal-Mart cutting board, either as a firewall to mount the conventional motor mount, or as two "L" shaped pieces to mount the motor directly on.

- Went to a local bike shop and asked for a discarded wheel. The spokes are unbelievably strong and make excellent FREE push rods. You can Z-bend each end (sometimes tough to do since they are so strong) or use a clevis, especially the plastic ones, that thread on the spoke's threads just right.

- Went to a craft store and hobby store and bought some brass tubing, a few clunks, and some extra fuel tubing to make my own fuel tanks out of medicine bottles and saved a bunch on fuel tanks.

- Someone used the wire handle off an old 5 gallon bucket to fashion landing gear; sturdy stuff!

That's all I can think of for now, but may have more in the future, because my wife goes into Lowe's with me and picks stuff up and asks "Can you use this on your planes?"[8D]

SPAD skies,

DL
Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 AM

Lets see: I gots corro ; I gots Engines ; I gots downspout ...

I guess its time to make me some SPAD's!![X(][8D]
Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 PM

So.. Does a SPAD build thread go here; or in the build topic area?

Here I think, the build area is titles "Kit Building". While I was sent all the stuff with some basic folds made for me, and I have plans, I dont think this qualifies as a kit..
Old 07-12-2008, 02:38 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Adui

Nope, but I plan to ask the guy who delivers soda to the store I live above next time I see him!! (and the store owner as well!)

Thanks again Draftman1!
Don't overlook the BEER guys!!
Old 07-12-2008, 03:17 PM

Hi Guys,

Speaking of new found materials off the shelf - I bought a couple pvc water supply tubes for a toilet. They are about 19" long and 1/4" ID. I cut them to make support tubes in a coro wing for 1/4" nylon bolts to attach my wing. They make the wing crush proof where the bolts go through the wing. I also cut some short pieces about 3/8" long and glue inside the downspout fuse to prevent control rods from flexing. I use pvc cleaner and glue and they weld in solid, holds better than epoxy.

Huck