Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Spad and Paint ball target practice

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Spad and Paint ball target practice

Old 07-15-2003, 05:15 AM
JuniorPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spad and Paint ball target practice

Guess I'll have to borrow a friends paintball equiptment :P
Old 07-15-2003, 11:46 AM
DrPropwash
My Feedback: (1)

Actually, It's felony to endanger the public, and there are laws on causing terror with a firearm. So, even if it's not your plane that was shot, and you were in the vicinity, you are a victim also and could press charges. The limitations could be 3 or more years to press charges, so it's probably not too late. If somebody got the ball rolling, I'm sure there would be no shortage of witnesses. Put in an anonymous call to the ATF, they will handle the rest. People like that dont need to be put up with, they need to be conquered.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:54 AM
DrPropwash

I didnt mean to be the party-pooper with the paint-ball guns, I'm hust the older guy who needs to caution everybody on the hazards of RC planes. I was hit by a damaged plane and paralyzed for a while from it, so I see it from a different perspective. If you want to see a picture of it, click this link
www.geocities.com/datsmypal/back.jpg
Dont do it if you have a weak stomach, I warn you now. Also, if you give me the names and dates with the shotgun deal, I will call your local authorities for you.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:58 AM
DrPropwash

I think I gave you the wrong address for the injury picture. Here goes again: http://www.geocities.com/datsmypal/back.jpg
Old 07-15-2003, 01:41 PM
crashlessons

Default I can check on it

But it might be over 3 years by now.

Last summer was the demise of our club. Airport guys got to causing some of our guys too much trouble, the club president took a new job trucking so he hasn't been mowing the strip, (he used to work for the village and used their mowing equipment, every time they mowed city park and such, they stopped at the airport and mowed and bagged the strip) and another of the head guys that kept the club together moved to florida taking a job making models for the movie industry.

It was the summer before that that my daughter and I joined the club to learn to fly. So it was 2 years ago that they told me of the incident and if I recall correctly, they said it was "a couple years ago" when the plane was shot down. So that could be 4 or 5 years past now.

I'll call a couple of them and find out when it was.

Out here in the sticks, people don't even think of calling authorities. It's just something they aren't accustomed to doing.

As far as shortage of witnesses, if no one did anything then, (sounded like fear was the major reason to me) they probably wouldn't be anyone courageous enough to file charges now.

I'll give a couple of the guys a call adn see when exactly it was.
Seems to me it would have been better to take care of it at the time and give the kid and his dad the guys shot gun. I think if everyone had let the guy know at that time that this behavior wasn't acceptable (and I mean everyone there, as one voice) he might have made some corrections in his life. Getting in trouble with the law usually just makes people more bitter and they behave even worse. If they are all afraid of him, they'd be more so after the police dealt with him. It'd probably be worse rather than better.

I'll call a couple guys and see what they think about it.
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Tattoo

DrPropwash
Your story (and photo) is intreguing to say the least! Wow. Having been involved in organized fun-flys and years of R/C combat, and having been involved in several hair raising close calls, I'm a firm believer that the organized events, where there is a hightened awareness of what "could" go wrong, and measures are taken to prevent them, is far far safer than normal weekend sport flying. The close calls that I've experienced have happened on normal sport flying afternoons, and usually the result of inexperience. I've witnessed literally hundreds of crashes during competitions, and although some tense moments, nothing, and I mean not even close, to two incidents that stand out in my mind as the worst, during routinesport flying days. One was Kraut's wife diving for cover from a .60 sized Big Stick, and one happened earlier this spring when Kraut, ChunkyC and myself had to hit the deck when an errant trainer flew over us. In both cases, alertness saved serious injury, and in the case of Kraut's wife, I believe death. In both cases a 5+ pound airplane at full speed occupied airspace that was also occupied by people only fractions of a second before. This is deadly serious stuff and can never be taken lightly. The reason I posted this here, especially in light of DrPropwash's photo, is because the idea of shooting a paint ball at an airplane looks fun, but I want to make SURE the idea is not connected to any carelessness. This is also why I tried to explain how we do it, safely. The aircraft is flown and fired at while traveling 90 degrees to any danger. It is also kept low and far out. Kraut is usually our club's pilot, and I'm the pit man. I feel much safer during this controlled activity than I ever do during a normal sport flying day with my back turned. It is also my hope that for anyone who reads this that has NOT experienced a close call, or how bad things can get when something goes wrong, or how quick it can happen...PLEASE, NEVER NEVER NEVER get over confident or complacent with this hobby, no matter what R/C activity your watching or are involved in.

I also agree...the shotgun incident should not go unpunished
Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM
edstrek
My Feedback: (49)

Default RE: Spad and Paint ball target practice

We have tried it and you can break the PVC fuse and the colorplast can be broken by paint balls. They are difficult to hit in the air. We tested it flying by solw abotu 30 feet away out of about 300 paint balls we sustained between 12 - 15 hits.

Hi all Our Freemont County Raido Control aircraft club (Canon City / Florence area Colorado) is planning to do a fundraiser where you can shoot at severial raido control aircraft in flight. It will be held at our flying field behind the Freemont County airport. We are planning for a Sat in June. SO if you are looking for a differnt sorta fun paint ball event email me at [email protected] I will be managing the email list for the club to keep you informed of our progress for this event.

R/C aircraft Paint ball shoot.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

You realize you're answering a question that was asked 7 years ago?

If you want to advertise your funfly, there's no charge to start your own thread.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
MrGreenSpeed