Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Spad and Paint ball target practice

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Spad and Paint ball target practice

Old 05-12-2003, 04:03 PM
mustangman177

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spad and Paint ball target practice

Hi All !!

I read in a local clubs newsletter where they raised money by having people shoot at a models plane with a paint ball gun. They charged something like $5.00 for 10 shots at a model flying at a reasonable altitude-doing aerobatics to avoid being shot. Sounds interesting.

My boy has a paint ball gun and I thought about the same idea. Would a paint ball go "through" the cloroplast wing 2 or 4 mm. ?

I doubt it would do any damage to the PVC fuelsalage if hit. Not sure about the tail feathers or engine though. I may let him shoot at my SPAD just to see what will happen. Sounds sort of "fun"

Anyone else do this? I think the paintball "hits" against the SPAD would look cool, if it did not bring down the plane.

Tell me what you think.

Cary
Old 05-12-2003, 04:19 PM
evolutionXXVII

if your affraid of the paintball breaking coroplast, why dont you get some scrap and shoot it to see what happens?? it can potentially save you alot of work!
Old 05-12-2003, 05:07 PM
flip3d

i think it would be a lot of fun
i play paintball through teams and the ball would not go throught the coroplast but will shadder the balsa if it hits some

3d
Old 05-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Tattoo

We do it every year at our club's fall fun fly! And the winner gets the plane. So far...4 years running, 100's of hits...no damage yet.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:15 PM
mustangman177

Sounds like it has already been tried !!! I never thought (I guess) of firing a paintball at a piece of coroplast to see if it would go through, but will try it at various distances to see how safe it is.

This will give my son and I something to do together. I do have him flying RC presently, but his friends has him into paintball as well.

Thanks for the input.

Cary
Old 05-14-2003, 01:13 AM
high in da sky

one thing to think about is where you are flying, if it is forrest preserve then they will almost definetly take your kids gun if they see it or at least ticket you guys maby even take the plane. just something to look into! I know this because someone called 911 on me and some friends whille we were pbing didnt know it was forest preserve and we all got tickets
Old 05-14-2003, 01:23 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Man that bites HIGH IN DA SKY

Just trying to have a little fun. not hurting anyone or anything......

This idea sounds like a lot of fun. I am going up north this weekend to do some flying where spdas are pretty popular....I'll see if they do this there
Old 05-14-2003, 01:36 AM
high in da sky

Originally posted by CAPtain232
Man that bites HIGH IN DA SKY

Just trying to have a little fun. not hurting anyone or anything......

thats exactly what we said to the forest preserve officer.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:02 AM
cropdusterdave
My Feedback: (2)

Went to a fun-fly years ago where they were selling shots at a duraplane for a buck. The thing had the balsa tail spliced on with popsicle sticks....took lotsa hits. Lotsa fun. Don't think you'd have a problem woth coro.

BTW...I missed
Old 05-14-2003, 12:00 PM
daver29

The reason for the tickets on forest preserve....

Its not that you are trying to hurt anyone or anything, and not that you would find an animal to shoot at with that loud plane scaring them off...
But every red and blue paintball that doesn't get broken, lands in the grass somewhere and ends up looking like a large berry or a small egg to some animal that will eat same.
And paint isn't a part of thier normal diet!

So no matter where you do this... make some effort afterwards to find and collect unbroken paint pellets when you are done.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by daver29
The reason for the tickets on forest preserve....

Its not that you are trying to hurt anyone or anything, and not that you would find an animal to shoot at with that loud plane scaring them off...
But every red and blue paintball that doesn't get broken, lands in the grass somewhere and ends up looking like a large berry or a small egg to some animal that will eat same.
And paint isn't a part of thier normal diet!

So no matter where you do this... make some effort afterwards to find and collect unbroken paint pellets when you are done.
Paintballs contain no paint. They are full of unflavored gelatin. They don't taste all that great, but they are completely harmless and non-toxic. So eat away!

And they will break open and disolve in a rain shower.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

what a change!
theres this same topic in another area of the boards, yet here everyone says yes.
there seems to be something in the word "funfly" that warns off the nay sayers from troubling us here
bring it on
Old 05-17-2003, 08:56 PM
cabanestrut2002

i like to throw stones at my zagi when i am sloping it, doesnt hurt the plane
Old 05-17-2003, 08:59 PM
Cactus.

ok, next time we go out i'll ring ya and i'll throw stones at your Zagi too
im sure your stalking every thread i answer too
Old 05-17-2003, 09:38 PM
cabanestrut2002

im sure your stalking every thread i answer too
im doing my daily trawl through all the new posts!
looks like gliding weather tomorrow , heli fff at chacewater, usually a few good crashes, ill take the digi cam
Old 07-13-2003, 10:44 PM
DrPropwash

AMA would not sanction this function because it induces a high risk of damaging the model, and a damaged model will not function safely as designed. If you knock out an aileron, etc you could end up with a fast and powerful model coming into a crowd of say....kids or some other onlookers. You woul dhave a liability nightmare for possibli injuryies or death caused by this, and could face criminal charges for negligent operation. The we get the FAA or other agencies regulating our hobby. How's about a flying permit after a 6 week course and a tough test? It could be on the horizon. I say if you do it, do it on the farm. If you have an accident on public property, the flying dite is lost forever.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:24 PM
Tattoo

I could understand this with "conventionally" built airplanes.

This summer will mark our 5th year doing the paintball contest.

AMA would not sanction this function because it induces a high risk of damaging the model
Not our experience at all,

Hundreds, and I means hundreds of hits, and no damage yet. I wish I had a picture of this plane at the end of the contest...it was a different color This continues to be the biggest draw for the funfly, with the biggest number of participants...oh yeah, and the winner gets the plane. All he has to do is hose it off and go fly. Most of our past paint ball planes are still flying today. It is also done at an AMA field by an AMA club at a funfly that requires AMA to enter. We do take extensive safety precautions. The set back between spectators and the "bunker" is 100 ft. We play it up big time. We build a "bunker" out of hey bails that the shooter must stand behind. The shooter must also wear a replica WW I german helmit. The only other personnel allowed forward of the pits during the event are the shooter's spotter, the aircraft pilot, and the aircraft pit man. The aircraft is flown low (approx 10-50 feet) in a predictable oval pattern. The aircraft is flown beyond the existing runway, giving the distance between the bunker and the aircraft about 30-50 feet at it's closest point during a shooting pass. The pilot obligingly tips the wing during the pass, exposing the underside of the aircraft for several seconds each pass. Everyone gets 20 shots the first round. Those who hit it the first round get 10 shots the second round. Those who hit it the second round get 5 shots the third round. Those who hit it the third round get three shots the fourth round. Usually by this time we have a winner. Two years ago it made it to a 5th round with two shooters left. They each took one shot at a time until the plane was hit and a winner declaired. With the number of entrants, this usually takes a good two to three hours...and the heckles and cheers from the peanut gallery are incredable. The aircraft pit man is responsible for keeping the plane refueld and battery voltage checked between flights. You can usually get 3 or 4 shooters per tank of fuel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	93606_3860.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	46438  
Old 07-14-2003, 01:43 PM
crashlessons

Default shooting airplanes.

We had a guy few years ago at a fun fly that shot down a dura-plane with his shot gun.

He said "We ain't having any of those pieces of XXXX flying at this fun fly, If you put it in the air, I'll shoot it down."

The guy and his kid had just built it and didnt' expect this a-hole to be serious about his threat. Well,,, he was,,,, and he did.

No one at the fun fly said a thing or lifted a finger. I wasn't there or I'd have taken action. I would have given the shot gun to the guy and his kid with the broken plane and a shiner or two to the shooter.

Many people no longer attend that fun fly. And as far as I know, no one has ever said or done anything about the incident.

Wish I'd have been there..... They say this guy causes problems every year.

Paint balls definately on the other hand sound like fun. I'm gonna have to give this a try!

Daver 29........

I don't think there's an animal on the planet that would eat a paint ball. Animals collect/hunt food by sight and smell. It may look like a berry but it sure isn't going to fool the animals nose. He'd sniff it and mosey along without a thought just the same as any other piece of man made litter left in the woods.
I strongly agree people NEED to clean up after themselves when in the wild. Better yet, don't make the mess as they go along and no clean up is required.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:57 PM
crashlessons

Default OOPS!

I said "I don't think there is an animal on the planet that would eat a paint ball."

I was wrong!

I didn't consider Deadeye's comment.

Quote: "they don't taste that great."

Old 07-14-2003, 04:58 PM
balsadust-3

Hi
I belive AMA allows combat both control line and RC I don't bellive paintballs could be any more hazzardus. Just a thought
Old 07-15-2003, 12:16 AM
Tattoo

Here's a pic of the shooter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	93911_3860.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	46439  
Old 07-15-2003, 02:09 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Crashlessons

That really sucks, what that idiot with the shotgun did. Its hard enough as it is to get kids interested in the hobby, especially when you get to see a father and son team.

Sad to say, I would not have been merely happy with giving him a shiner, I would have wanted to hospitalize him, grab all his stuff and give it to the kid.

Ok i know its extreme, but i figure if someone bullies a kid, then he deserves all hell.

Right thats off my chest
Old 07-15-2003, 02:53 AM
lomcevek1

I am thinking there is more to the shotgun story. But from what I read I still got all fired up :boxing:

Tough to get people interested and stay that way.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:44 AM
crashlessons

Default That's pretty much it.

About the only thing I left out, as you may guess, the kid was pretty upset. He and his dad had worked together building the plane and ........ well, what else can a guy say. Several people just packed up and left including the man and his kid with their busted plane.

No one much associates with the shooter. I'm told he's a real ***** in every area of life. They say even his wife doesn't like him much. He's one of those guys in a community that everyone seems to avoid and just leaves him alone. Ever since our club more or less broke up and we can't fly at the airport any more, some of the guys are driving down to that town and flying at their field. Maybe they see him from time to time, I don't know. It's over an hour drive from my place so I just fly alone in the hay field.

The part that made me mad, other than knowing a kid got his heart broke of course, is that no one said or did a thing. In fact when the guys at my club told me of the incident, I chewed their butts for not taking care of the situation. Some of them are big corn fed farm boys too. Strong as an ox, and could probably twist the a-hole up like a pretzel, but they did nothing. They said, "it's not our fly field or our club, they can take care of their own internal problems" I basically called them cowards and told them I'd have at least taken his shot gun from him, told him to leave, and that he could pick up his gun from the sherrif's office. Course that could have lead to more problems cuz, like most farmers and ranchers around here, the shot gun hangs in the truck window right under the deer rifle. They say that the guy is somewhat of a drinker and was probably not quite sober so it may have been that was a deciding factor too in everyones just letting it slide.

they said he's a troublesome sort anytime you deal with him. I've never met the man, I'd probably pound him if I did the way they say he acts in public.

What ever the case, it's just not right. I know there are lots of evil people like that in the big cities but out here in the sticks, people are supposed to be more considerate.

Oh well, he's a miserable ******* with no friends and he deserves it!

This idea of shooting a spad with paint balls however, sounds like fun. Them damn things hurt when we shoot each other, I like the idea!
Old 07-15-2003, 05:04 AM
MalaysianFlyer

A nice target for paintballing would be a PBF with a pic of Calvin sticking his tongue out hehehe!!! Imagine hovering that in front of the shooters, the more they miss, the more that pic of Calvin will annoy them!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.