Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Foam Core Wings

Old 06-29-2008, 10:36 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Core Wings

I am thinking of offer CNC cut foam core wings to the spad community. I am thinking of offering some "stock" designs that you can build and design SPADS around. I am also thinking about offering some wings to the ol' SPAD classics.

The quickest, cheapest foam wing construction seems to have been born in the RC Combat community. The foam core itself is pink extruded foam. This is more dense than white foam that most folks have built a wing with. The ailerons are wood TE stock and they are taped to the wing using bi-directional fiberglass tape (from the local home improvement store). The wing has 2 fiberglass rods for spars and is covered in packing tape. The wings are strong, light and they build quick.

For stock wings I was thinking about offering:

Flat Bottom Clark Y Airfoil in 8", 10" and 12" chords
NACA 23012 Semi-Symmetrical Airfoil in 8", 10" and 12" chords
NACA 0012 Full-Symmetrical airfoil in 8", 10" and 12" chords

Let me know if you would be intersted. Costs would range from $15-30 per wing set. Shipping costs will probably run $10-20, but shipping costs for 1-4 wings will be the same.

We can also offer the fiberglass rods for a small additional cost with the wings.

PLease let me know if you have suggestions on airfoils, sizes, etc.

I can also do custom foam cutting (other wings, fuses, floats, etc). Send me a PM if you would like details.

Thanks! Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23831.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	980756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61421.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	980757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22286.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	980758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90190.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	980759  
Old 06-29-2008, 02:30 PM

Default RE: Foam Core Wings

What wing spans could you produce? 48"? What thickness for a flat bottom 48" core? I was thinking if cutting it span-wise at the spar and sandwiching in a yardstick. What do think of this idea? This would produce a nice trainer with a 40" downspout fuse.

I currently cover fan-fold bluecor with sign vinyl, it seems to be pretty tough. I use pink foam ribs. But the fan-fold has the ripples that spoil the appearance somewhat. I would think $15 is the limit I would be willing to pay. I can get five wings from a $30 bundle of fan-fold. If I use coro it is free, I don't buy it. I guess I would spend $60 for 3 wings with shipping included.

Let us know what you decide to offer.

Thanks Huck
Old 07-03-2008, 01:49 AM

It is hard to produce and ship foam wings for less than about $30 a set but if you are interested in cutting your own wings that is really not too hard and quite inexpensive. My son put together a web site to sell a video on cutting your own wings at www.foamwingcutting.com, the website is openly commercial but go ahead and check it out if you are interested in cutting your own foam wings.
Bob
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM

Bob,

I assume the video shows you how to cut a wing using a manual bow. I did this for a long time and once I switched to CNC I will never go back. The quality of the finished part is much better and I can aslo include spar slots and many shapes you could never do with a manual bow.

Plus there is a ton of free information on cutting foam wings on the net. A 5 minute google search will get you enough reading material for weeks.

Chris
Old 07-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Hi,

For sure, there is no other method which could give results comparable to CNC machines. If I lived in USA I would buy CNCed cores, but as shipping cost would kill the deal, I must do them by myself.
I have made power regulator and bow. But did not find on google many good webs on this subject.

Could you recommend me some of them?

Regards,

Marian
Old 07-04-2008, 06:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Marian

Hi,

For sure, there is no other method which could give results comparable to CNC machines. If I lived in USA I would buy CNCed cores, but as shipping cost would kill the deal, I must do them by myself.
I have made power regulator and bow. But did not find on google many good webs on this subject.

Could you recommend me some of them?

Regards,

Marian
Here is and excellent site for cutting foam wings.
http://www.utahflyers.org/index.php?...d=37&Itemid=33
Old 07-05-2008, 02:17 PM

http://www.rcfaq.com/ANSWERS/modelbu...oamcutting.htm
Old 07-14-2008, 09:47 AM

OK so to sum it up this is probably not worth offering.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:24 PM
My Feedback: (18)

I think economically is probably not practical once you add in shipping and such.

Most folks that would use wings like this are probably just as interested in cutting their own cores and such.

You might have a better outlet for them at your local club though.