Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPAD Biplane

Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Villa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SPAD Biplane

Hi MrGreenSpeed
That is a well defined cut-off point. I guess I fly in stronger winds than that since I recall having to carry the plane to the runway and placing it into the wind. I also recall not being able to taxi back due to the high winds. Of course, as you know, it being a SPAD, it does not get damaged if it does get blown over. Because this Biplane has a profile fuselage the wings rock left/right more easily, due to fuselage twist, while on the ground. The wing tips will touch the ground to prevent the plane being blown over. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:23 AM
jaav

Hi Villa do you have any Vids of it?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Villa

Hi jaav
Sorry, I do not have videos of my planes.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Villa

A friend of mine wanted to build my SPAD Biplane so I helped him with plans. Darn it, his has turned out better looking than mine. As you can see in my post, mine uses a profile fuselage. Some people think a profile is ugly. I have had two profile balsa planes so some of that ugliness has rubbed of and I no longer see it. As you can see, his plane is not finished since the landing gear is not yet mounted. He did use my new method of setting the wings parallel (look into the wing ends) and that has worked out well for him. I don't have his build details because he has moved to another state.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44201.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1156160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35340.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1156161  
Old 03-12-2009, 01:24 PM
draftman1

Wow, thats pretty nice! how about some specs. is that an all coro fuse or just a coro over pvc wrapped fuse
Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Villa

Hi draftman1
I don't know how he built it. He did not consult with me. He speaks very little English so it is hard for me to communicate. I'll eventually find out.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
draftman1

Oh Ok. no hurry, I have more planes on my build list than I can count. it is a very nice bipe
Old 03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
jib

Villa,

While you are at it, more pics or plans would be awesome. That is a decent looking plane.

Then again, I know Andy will get to that one soon enough. <grin>

Jack
Old 03-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Villa

Hi draftman1
Try my Flying Lawnmower, above or below this. Detailed drawings and instructions are included. Use the set with the latest date, since there was an error in the first posting. Your kids will love it. My daughter loved it and could not believe it could fly even as she saw it in the air.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:21 PM
draftman1

Yeap Jack your right probably sooner than later. how about it, the Bipe, flying lawnmower and canard pusher for SOTWC? those would be very unique planes, there are awards for that!

thanks Villa, I think I will do one for the spad event
Old 03-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Villa

Go for all three, draftman1
I'll give you all the help I can. Just ask.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 AM
jib

df1,

I downloaded the plans for the mower and the Canard as well as the bipe pics. They all all of interest to me. Yeah, they would be cool to have flying by July for that event.

Thanks Villa, but don't hold your breath. I have a few others to build first. My son did light up when he saw the SPAD bipe pics though.

Jack
Old 03-25-2009, 11:29 PM
NvMike

Villa
I would like to know the set back for your lower wing and the distance between the two wings?

Thanks
NvMike
Old 03-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Villa

Hi NvMike
The wing stagger is 1-7/8". The wings are 100% symmetrical. From the vertical center of one wing to the vertical center of the other wing is 8-9/16". If you build a plane similar to mine using my plans, how about posting photos and comments right here. I like to see what others are doing. Point out any improvement you make so we all can learn.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
NvMike

I presently have a coro rail that flies but would like to replace the wing with a biwing. I would like to try undercambered wings rather than symetrical. I believe Villa's struts and ribs could be used to hold a 4mm coro undercambered wing in alignment along with some wire bracing. My goal is to save some weight and maybe make a slower flying plane. I would appreciate any input on the above plan.

NvMike
Old 08-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Villa

Hi NvMike
Let's see some photos of your biplane.
Since my biplane turned out to be very light weight, I have been flying it as a 3D plane. It hangs very well on the prop. It is exceptionally stable in stall, unlike the two balsa biplanes I used to have. I just have to practice more 3D flying. On the last flight I managed a tail slide.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Villa

Finally got to fly my SPAD Biplane in the snow with skis. I bought the Dubro skis 3 years ago and today I got to use them for the first time. We had 3 inches of snow last night. Made two flights. The sky was white and the snow was white. I have flown in snow at least 100 times and completely forgot that on a cloudy day it is easy to go snow blind even with my transition sun glasses. Had to keep the flights very close. Wind was about 20MPH. Took about 75% throttle and full up to get the plane moving and keep it from tipping over during the takeoff. Snow was exceptionally soft and I did not notice that the running prop covered my skis with snow as seen in the photos. Made one flight, landed and took the attached photos. Then made the last flight. Wind was gusting hard and my hands were hurting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92668.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1378234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78989.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1378235   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27019.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1378236  
Old 02-14-2010, 11:21 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Looks great Villa!  Glad you finally got to try out the skis!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 AM
jib

Just noticed this thread surface again.

I have not yet built a coro bipe, but I have identified the motor. I liberated a 25cc week wacker motor from a garbage can before the trash guys got it. It took a while, but I got it sorted out and running well. Now I just need to build a 48 or 60 inch biplane; maybe 60 upper wing and 48 lower, just to be different. I'll likely go with two RNAF wings and a coro fuze, although a profile with a foam core sound pretty light, easy and strong. Then again, the 25cc engine should be able to pull around full fuze plane quite well, if I pay attention to the weight details.

I am getting ready to maiden a combat toughened Draco in the next weekend or two. Maybe it'll be time to get serious about the big, Homelite powered biplane. The [link=http://www.teamrc.org/sotwc.html]Spads Over The West Coast[/link] event in Oregon this summer is coming up fast That was a very fun, first year event. I'm looking forward to the 2nd annual event the weekend of 17-18 July. It would be fun to have a big biplane for that event.

Thanks for giving us something to shoot for Villa! Nice Bipe. BTW - your other plans are on my hard drive. I do want to build a flying lawn mower, but the desire and time have not yet come together.

Jack
Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Villa

Hi jib
Thanks for the comments on my SPAD Biplane. Good luck with your build. I hope you build the Flying Lawnmower soon, as you mentioned. I would love to read your experience with it. It is hard to believe how much fun the Flying Lawnmower was for me. I have not flown it since I crashed it about two years ago. I feel like building another. With my plans it is a very easy build. Except for a fellow in Africa and another in Europe I have not heard of anyone building one. For me it was a "must do" after I learned about SPADS. It is a natural for Coroplast. Our club in PA had one made of balsa back around 1976. One bad landing and it was toothpicks. I think in 5 years of flying my lawnmower I had one bad landing and rolled it over. NO DAMAGE.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:05 PM
bobbobberty

Not a bad looking plane but it'd be nice to see the US Aircore Barstomer .40 again...
Old 08-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Villa

Hi batchelc
Please tell me more about the pink foam you used. Where do you purchase it, etc. I recently totaled my SPAD biplane and plan to build another one, using the biplane wing assembly I already have. I want to use your method for building the profile fuselage. Mine was never stiff enough. I hope you see this e-mail soon. I have never purchased foam, so this will be my first. Others are welcomed to offer suggestions since I'm looking for information and foam will be new to me. It sounds great.