Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Cheapest spad

Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest spad

I've often toyed with the idea of building a very cheap spad. Who holds the forum record of building the cheapest Spad. This would exclude the radio and engine only. Please post a picture or describe the low cost techniques employed.

Clarence
Old 12-30-2008, 03:46 PM

Default RE: Cheapest spad

the gnat is the cheapest airframe. as far as radio and engine, that would be hard to tell. mine has a magnum 15 in it. thats about the cheapest new engine. it has hitek 82 mg servos, those arent cheap and a futaba 617 2.4 reciever, not cheap at all.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 PM

Well not sure who holds the record but this little delta i made is about as cheap as it comes. Some 6mm coro, a few small dowels, some small strips of wood and a few zip ties was all that i needed.....and about 1.5hrs, less decals. It's a 36" span, Magnum .15 and standard RX and servo's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44901.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1099865  
Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 AM

Nice looking delta wing microsprint9!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:00 AM
jib

BillBabe,

The issue I found when starting to build SPADs was that the initial investment (coro, landing gear and fuze material, etc.) was not cheap, but I can get a number of planes out of that first purchase of "stuff".

The gutter pipe for the Deb fuze was $8, but is good for 3 or more planes.
The coro is good for 2-3 planes,
The alum square tube ($14) is good for 2 planes,
The 8 feet of flat AL bar stock (landing gear) is enough for 4-5 planes, etc., etc.
The landing gear hardware, bolts, nuts, etc was for several planes.

Jack
SPA3DT - flying
Debonair - in construction
Old 12-31-2008, 11:56 AM

your right on that one Jib. I went from buying one sheet of coro to buying 6 to 8 sheets at a time. I had to get different colors then buying the same in 2mm. then buying up all of the downspout I could get. so once you have everything, the planes come cheap! the Gnat is about the smallest, cheapest airframe there is, the Delta in the previous post is probably tied for the cheapest also
Old 01-01-2009, 10:34 AM

Pizza box
Coro sign 4mil.............................................. ..........free
Home made control horns .......................................free
Wood spine .................................................. .........free
Motor mount from cutting board and hard wood ........free
Control rods, bicycle spokes and wood dowels...........free
Engine new BlueBird .28 Heli.............................excluded ........$25.00. ebay
TX Hitec Flash 5X............................................excl uded .........$75.00. ebay
Fuel tank and lines stuff I had lying around..............$3.00?
2 x 1/4 nylon bolts to hold rudder on .........................50ΒΆ
3 used servos off ebay........................................$15.00
RX 7ch futaba used off ebay.................................$25.00
RX batt new off ebay.............................................$ 6.00
MAS 10 x 4 prop off ebay............................aprox..$ 1.50
Double sided tape, zip ties, poly glue...........aprox... $3.00

Jeff
ps.

If You had a .46 You could build a BullDawg or RoroRoo for the same price.
Add a sheet of 2 mil and 2 yard sticks then You could build a Sickle or a Draco.[8D]
Old 01-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Now we're getting there.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:58 AM
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The HOR would get my vote for the cheapest. Our club builds them for combat and racing. we all have box stock 15 motors on them all. It is a lot of fun. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM

Microsprint9:

I think your delta is in the lead. I would do a scale up since the smallest engine I have is a 40. Any more building details? How did you find the CG?

I fount this link to Jack's delta vs2. I think this would be the right size for a 40 using coro construction as you did. This thing seems to be taking shape.

http://www.flybyphotography.com/CrazyHerb/index.htm

Clarence
Old 01-02-2009, 08:02 PM

If You have a chunk of pink foam.

CrazyHerbs Jack's Delta is designed for a .40......[8D]

Jeff
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 AM

ORIGINAL: BillBabe

Microsprint9:

I think your delta is in the lead. I would do a scale up since the smallest engine I have is a 40. Any more building details? How did you find the CG?

I fount this link to Jack's delta vs2. I think this would be the right size for a 40 using coro construction as you did. This thing seems to be taking shape.

http://www.flybyphotography.com/CrazyHerb/index.htm

Clarence

Your right on the mark billbabe, my delta is made from the plans of the " CHEAP DELTA " at Crazy Herbs website.

I also designed this one in the past from my own plans http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_42...tm.htm#4247028
It was pretty good but need way too much tail weight to balance, if you cut the nose 3-4" shorter it will be fine though. Same deal, some 6mm and a small pc. of gutter pipe.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:13 PM
My Feedback: (3)

No matter wich way you go you have to use a political sign, preferably a stolen one[8D] Spad Stick, use free paint sticks from the home improvement stores instead of yard sticks, its a nice little plane.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 AM

My delta wing here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8246208/tm.htm cost me $8. That was for glue for the old hot glue gun and a few 1/4" dowels for the vertical stab. Everything else was free.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:17 PM

Ballpark price of materials I've used in building SPAD's I'd say was in the area of around $20.00 to $25.00 & some of those supplies could also go towards other SPAD's as well! Alot of BANG for the buck for sure!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:44 PM

We have a spad here including transmitter(35Mhz FM Rs. 2000.00), receiver(35Mhz from turborix Rs. 900.00), servos(2x Dongyang Rs. 300.00x2), Lipo 2S1P 850mah (dongyang Rs. 600.00), Motor Turnigy 2204-14 (Rs. 1000.00), ESC 10amp (Dongyang Rs. 500.00), GWS 8x6 prop SF(Rs. 100.00), Coro 2.5mm(24" x 7.5" wing including full length aileron, 8"x4" tail plane, 5"x5" vertical stabiliser -Rs.20.00), Fuse 1/4" stick (Rs 100.00), horns out of scrap, no landing gear. The total comes to Rs. 5720.00 (i.e $121 US). The total weight of the plane is 250gms and it is Aerobatic / Sport type. It is derived from The Miss by Steve Lange. By adding two additional 6"x 4" pieces of corro with aluminium (coat hanger rods) rods 4x 2" long bend at 1" for the ployhydral angle, we can make it a very good trainer.

If anyone is interested, I can upload the plans and photos. We are having alot of fun with this plane here in Chennai, India.

Saju
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 AM

yeah, upload the plans, I would love to see it. Make sure you go to spadworld.net and load them there also, thats were the spadders hang out.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 AM

draftman1

You will have to do a few things. The original design by Steve Lange for "Micro Slope Stick" (http://www.stevelange.net/spad/) will have to be downloaded to get most of the plans. This gives you the original plan for the 2 channel slope soarer. Next you have to add a motor mount of 3mm plywood (any 4mm thick stiff plastic will also do!) of about 1-1/2" by 1-1/2" will do. This has to have a hole in the centre for taking the shaft protrusion on the motor. It is also recommended to have a few holes around for better cooling of the motor. The attached photo (how do I attach photo here ?) will show you how to attach the motor mount to the front of the fuse by Cyno.

I have originally done the fuse out of waste IC packaging trays.. 2 of them stuck to each other over the full length to give it sufficient strength.

Since you will be using slightly heavier batterries than originally recommended by Steve, it wiser to move the elevator servo closer to the horizontal stabiliser as I have done.

The attached photo above should also show you the placement of the batterry.

It flies best when balanced perfectly on the top bend of the wing. This little plane can take winds as heavy as 20kmph and glides beautifully.

The overall auw should be around 250grams. The motor is should of course be Turnigy 2204-14 (weighing 16gms) or Ax2205 (weighing 25gms) (please note its not "AXI"). You will have more oomph with the latter as it comes out with a staggerring thrust of about 350gms with GWS 8"x6" SF prop and 7.4v 850mah Lipos (weighing about 48gms).

At first, I didnt think it could fly well because of the sharp ridge on the wing... but it does and prooves all theory wrong.

I had said earlier, adding a polyhydral by two AL rods on each side makes it a beautiful trainer, very docile and stable. But once you remove the same, it becomes a veritable Acrobat / Sports plane .

So enjoy... and come back if you have any further questions

Saju
[img][/img]
Old 01-22-2009, 03:37 AM

Please look up the photos under authorship "Saju" or "Motor Mount f" for the photo missed out in my earlier mail

[img][/motor mount f]
Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 AM

Hi All ,
As Saju Said we have been working on a wide range of versions of the MISS now named Moss thanks to the electric power set up.
Here is a video of the original MISS - MOSS Version . this plane is exactly as per the original plans of Steve Lang.
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=ueyLANdbhdA
We have then tried variations in the dimensions of the plane as well as aspect ratios etc.
In fact the Glider version named as MISTER MOSS is scheduled to take part at a premier technical festival in India in the Glider Competition.

We are also looking at the possibility of developing this Glider Version as a beginners trainer Model which can achieve around 80 % of the easy stars glide for around $ 120 ( RTF ) .
The Glider version has achieved Glide in excess of 3 Mins without power after a 1 min powered climb.

Yes this could be the cheapest RTF Soon.

sai
Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 AM

Hi All .[img]
BTW in the case of the MOSS versions I use . I find that using the Standard Fiber Glass Slow Stick Fuse BOOM is very effective as I have have never had any fuse damage even in the case of the plane hitting ground like a Missile from around 30 ft height bang down on to the nose. The Price of the SS Boom should not exceed $ 3-4 in any case.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:27 AM

Photo of the motor mount

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...?itemid=167022
Old 01-28-2009, 10:57 PM

mine was free. the only thing I had to get was engine and radio and dowl control rods. If you dont count the radio and engine;which leaves control rods which were made from dowls. about $2 or $3. I guess it doesnt count since mine was given to me.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:26 PM

fly boy2

If you are talking of already having most of the stuff, then you are not comparing apple to apple.

I believe the concept of "cheapest spad" is to find out how cheap a fully flying RC SPAD can be made including all equipment required to make and operate the same, so that :
a. It gives a newbie confidence to enter this hobby, because he does not spend too much
b. It relieves the conscience of existing enthusiasts, especially if ones better-half throws the book at you on the cost of carrying on this hobby !!!.
c. It also gives you room for mistakes

Saju
Old 01-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Saju:

Yes, that was the original intent of the post. I hope your comments gets the post back on track.
I am continuing to investigate my cheap spad.

Clarence

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.