Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Debonair Power Question

Old 03-16-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Debonair Power Question

Just a test of posting Dora's image... Also,..... no, she has not been maidened yet. Perhaps Wednesday...Rich

p.s. thanks, now I know how to post a pix. Rich

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79790.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	1159482  
Old 09-28-2009, 11:20 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you guys see the OS .40 FP and LA engines in a .25 plane?  I looked at the OS web page and a 40LA or FP is only about an ounce heavier than a .25SF, FX or AX..... I'm guessing because the bearings are heavier.  But you can pick up a nice .40LA for $30-40 so I'm thinking stick that in a BUHOR 25 or FNS and go at it.  I know the bushed engines are weaker but with the larger displacement and not adding much extra weight, the cost is hard to beat in a lighter weight plane....
Old 09-28-2009, 11:27 PM

yeap, that will work! I was thinking about doing that also!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:39 AM

Great minds think alike! LOL  The BUHOR 25 instructions say "Do not overpower this model!" but I've got a "like new" 40LA that I think will be perfect for it.  Gonna finish the Deb, then build a Gnat with a K&B .20 I've got and then the Buhor 25..... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  
Old 09-29-2009, 08:55 AM

cool! 3 planes already? man you a true spadohalic. good job!
Old 09-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Yeah, I think it bit pretty hard.  LOL  I've already built 3 FFF electrics too and I've got a whole pile of motors and ESC's and a list of planes I want to put them in.    If only I could fly....  (sigh)  I can usually get my electrics up and down in one piece but I am a *really* crappy pilot.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Hi PatrickCurry
If your pilot skills are lacking, flying an overpowered plane can make things more difficult for you.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:35 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Sounds like you could use FMS (a cheap flight simulator), or an instructor and a "Buddy-Box.)
Old 09-29-2009, 03:41 PM

yeap, get on the deb and fly it to death! with an instructor of course
Old 09-29-2009, 05:33 PM

I belong to a club and one of the instructors flies with me with a buddy cord when I fly my Hobbistar.  I have ADD real bad and everything under the sun distracts me when I'm flying.  My mind just doesn't work right when I have to do something real fast.  It's a nightmare when there are several other planes in the air at the same time as me....  I just like putt-putting around with a slow trainer.  I've tried FMS but I can't make much sense of it.... it's like flying with blinders or tunnel vision or something.  I'd just rather go fly the real thing.  I'm not dangerous because I'm very careful to stay where I'm supposed to, I don't fly low and the most exciting thing you're going to get out of me is an occasional loop or roll, but I'm just not a good pilot and I know I never will be.  That's ok, I like building and going down to the field gets me out of the house, so....
Old 09-29-2009, 06:23 PM

just keep on flying! combat is great for ADD, it WILL make you a better pilot. just think about this, 8 pilots, full throttle, in a tight box, turning and looping, rolling and climbing. trying to keep track of your plane and trying to hunt and follow others, he he he, its a trip!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi PatrickCurry
If your pilot skills are lacking, flying an overpowered plane can make things more difficult for you.
Hey, Villa. On the STTB website, all of the .25 plans recommend a bearing engine such as the OS 25FX. According to the OS web site, a 25FX delivers .84HP @ 18,000 RPM with a 9x5 prop and weighs 8.8 ounces. The 40LA delivers 1.0HP @ 15,000 RPM with a 10x6 prop and weighs 9.5 ounces. I really didn't see that as over-powered I just kinda saw it as how people typically use an engine that's at the high end of the recommended range such as using a .46 if the recommended is .40 - .46. With bushed engines having less power than bearing engines I didn't see the 40LA as really being overpowered on a BUHOR .25. I got an almost brand new 40LA off eBay for $40 and sometimes you see them on RCU as low as $30 so I thought that was a heck of a deal. Now I'm a newb and I may be way off base here, but that was my thinking. Once I get off the ground I usually chop it to about half throttle anyway so hopefully my "value strategy" will pay off. I do appreciate the advice though and will remember it!! Thanks.

Pat
<br type="_moz" />
Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: draftman1

just keep on flying! combat is great for ADD, it WILL make you a better pilot. just think about this, 8 pilots, full throttle, in a tight box, turning and looping, rolling and climbing. trying to keep track of your plane and trying to hunt and follow others, he he he, its a trip!
Yeah, controlled chaos.... just what my feeble mind needs! LOL I couldn't fly in a "tight box" if my life depended on it!
<br type="_moz" />
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 AM
My Feedback: (44)

the la will do fine but it wont ever turn 15k on a 10x6 prop stock, they sip fuel though so its not a bad choice, and has more torque
Old 09-30-2009, 09:53 AM
jib

It's neat to see my old thread brought back from the dead.

The Deb that inspired this thread is still powered by that TT GP42, spinning a 11x5 prop. It's seen my son and I solo on it and it on it's 3rd fuze, so maybe there is some truth to a coro fuse being tougher than a gutter pipe fuze. I have rips in both aileron hinges, patched with Robert points, and I finally bought a set of plastic Dubro landing gear for the old girl. The aluminum home made was always bending. Hopefully, my daughter will learn to fly on this Deb next summer.

I have been considering putting an LA 40 on a 25 sized SPAD too. It's a great use for the LA.

Jack
Old 09-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Hi PatrickCurry
Sounds like you have everything under control.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 AM

Hi PatrickCurry
Old 09-30-2009, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: lfinney

the la will do fine but it wont ever turn 15k on a 10x6 prop stock, they sip fuel though so its not a bad choice, and has more torque
I was just typing from their web page, I dunno. I just picked the smallest prop they had listed cause I figured that one would turn the fastest.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi PatrickCurry
NOOOoooooooo. LOL I'm a total noob Villa. I read a lot and have lots of ideas but I don't know how practical any of them are. I only get to work in the shop a couple hours a night *if* I'm lucky, then I go over to my girlfriend's house and all I can do there is sit around and read the forums on my laptop while her kids are running around screaming at the tops of their lungs. Sometimes I feel like chucking it all just because I never seem to accomplish anything in the shop, but fiddling around with my planes is the only thing that keeps me sane..... well *kinda* sane. I really appreciate all the help and advice I've gotten here, on spadworld and on rcg..... you guys are all awesome!
<br type="_moz" />
Old 10-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Ok, next kooky, ignorant newb question......  Doesn't look like the engine I was going to use on my Deb is going to be ready for a while and I'm kinda tired of waiting.  I bought a K&amp;B .45 on eBay but turns out it was a K&amp;B .65. (sigh)  Yes, I'm slowly learning my lesson guys....  ANYway....  I've seen the balance issues with the Deb and I saw in this thread where someone put a .60 on a Deb and said it flew ok.  Will a K&amp;B .65 work on my Deb? (ducking bottles, cans &amp; rotten fruits &amp; vegetables)    I just put it on my scale and it weighs 1 lb. 5 oz..... I know....  It feels like it in your hand, too!  LOL  That was the weight with the muffler.  If you guys don't think this is a good idea, I'll probably just go ahead and order an OS or a Thunder Tiger.  Man, I'm frustrated and yeah, I know it's nobody's fault but my own..... trying to walk before I crawl I guess. (sigh)
Old 10-02-2009, 06:55 PM

hey Pat, if its a 65 then its a sportster model, a bushing engine, not ball bearing. I would go ahead and use it, it will have about the same power as a good BB 46

with the wieght, its ok because you can move the wing forward a little to get the balance.

go for it dude!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:36 AM

<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; "><div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; -webkit-background-clip: initial; -webkit-background-origin: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; background-position: initial initial; ">Well, I've grown tired of the K&amp;B .65. It might be that I'm still a newb and don't know how to tune it. It might be because it was used purchased off eBay. It might be that it's just a crappy engine. I really don't know and don't care.
<div>
I'm going to put my transitionally challenged Aviastar .46 on my Deb. I'm gradually going all OS or Thunder Tiger, but I've got to give this $49 engine a chance. I'm hoping that it's just not broken in good enough and it'll get better in the air. We're gonna find out anyway.... oh yeah, it's already lost the nipple off the muffler running on the bench. It was a little loose and I touched it and it just fell off. JB Weld is our friend. </div></div></span>
Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 PM

Most transition problems are a low speed jet too rich, start and warm up the engine with the glow igniter on it, let it idle a few seconds, pull the igniter off, if the idle slows down the low speed is too rich. or You need a hotter glow plug.

The K&B sportster carbs are not easy to set up but once they are tuned correctly they stay in tune, the K&B engines like a lot of castor oil 25% and larger props.
Jeff
Old 12-18-2009, 11:02 PM

I've tried 5 or 6 plugs on the Aviastar all with the same results.  I've tried all kinds of stuff.  What is weird to me is I've turned the LS needle all the way in 1/8 of a turn at a time like the manual says with the exact same results.  It never changes.  I think there's something wrong with the carb but I sent it back to Sig and they tested it and sent it back to me.  I'm just going to fly it and see how it goes.  Maybe it'll get good and broken in and be ok.   Fingers crossed!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:51 PM

Maybe it'll get good and broken in and be ok.
The quickest way to finish breaking in and engine is get it running on the plane, go to full throttle turn in the high speed jet till the RPMS max out and start to drop, turn it hi speed needle back out till it's back to max RPMs then turn it out a little more so the engine is rich.
Pick the plane up still at full throttle and point it straight up, the RPM should increase, then point it level the RPMs will drop a little.
GO fly big loops, on the up side the engine will heat up and on the down side it will cool back down.
3 or 4 tanks should be enough to finish breaking the engine in.

After You get confident You can tune Your planes hi speed while You have the plane pointed straight up but that will come later.
Jeff