Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

glue problems

Old 10-11-2009, 08:10 PM
draftman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: glue problems

I always flash and glue the top of the spar. sounds like you are making great progress!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:57 AM
rsieminski

Yep, to maintain strength, you have to use whatever technique that works for you and glue.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:37 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Well, not sure she's going to hold.  I didn't know how to figure where to put the glue because the fold lines are not right on the spar.  Even on the sttb web site they're not.  So I figured I'd use GG and it'd foam up and run into the fold lines I cut with the 1/8" bit but it didn't make it.  You can see in the pics that it didn't spread out that much.  I should have gone ahead and woodpeckered it, but I didn't. :-(  My wing is kinda funky shaped, not a smooth curve like in the instructions.  It's a pretty flat bottom though.  Also on the TE, I didn't smash the wing down flat because I was afraid it was already a goofy shape.  It's kind of hard to tell in the fuzzy picture, but I've only got about a 1/4" of the TE glued and not the entire 3 flutes of the aileron piece.  What do you guys think?  I was thinking about drilling 4 or 5 1/4" holes in the TE and squirting GG in there.  Hopefully it would fill up and surround the flutes both horizontally and vertically and make like a tack joint to keep the TE from separating.  Do you think that would help?

Well dang.... I've never posted pics here and just found out that I can't without a URL....  I'll post them on google or somewhere and be right back with a link.... 
Old 10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
PatrickCurry

K, here we go:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4bNXUAvhWFU_2jvCpiTcZQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCLiSif6fxvy0U g&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XRmUOn00MDBvurt4rOWQ2w?authkey=Gv1sRgCLiSif6fxvy0U g&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m1JsUCYEOZsBv65iFE8hNA?authkey=Gv1sRgCLiSif6fxvy0U g&feat=directlink

Hope that works....
Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 PM
draftman1

it looks like it will work. fly it and see, whats the worst that could happen? you dont like it, then build another one. I didnt have much problen getting it to go smooth on top. next tiem get you some 2 mil and use it on the top. you will notice a huge difference! good luck on this planes maiden!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:20 PM
PatrickCurry

The worst that could happen is both TE's could let go and my plane would go flapping off into the trees or hit someone!  LOL  I guess I can take it a couple laps around the field and then bring it in to see if it's holding and then keep an eye on it.  Hopefully I'll get it finished up tonight, but probably not because I've got a party to go to.    I'd rather work on the plane.  Anyway....  I appreciate y'all's help!

Pat

Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 AM
rsieminski

If you're really worried, stick a couple of zip ties through it.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:53 AM
PatrickCurry

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that R!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 AM
draftman1

excelent point there R. zip ties, large staples, nuts and bolts. neadle and strong thread. its all good!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 AM
PatrickCurry

I had thought about cutting some PVC retainers just like holds the tailfeathers on but wasn't sure about that.  I'm thinking I just worry too much because it's my first born. 
Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Villa

Hi PatrickCurry
You scored the inside of the top side of the wing, probably because the building instructions directed you to do it. That crease is just not needed. I never do it (I believe I did it only on my first wing). Without that crease the wing takes on a very aerodynamic smooth shape. Sure would be great if this information could be passed on to new builders prior to their first build. If no one else agrees with my suggestion, you will be left alone to decide.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't worry about it holding, I've flown a bunch of combat with wings that looked just like that and they worked fine. Now go clobber somebody with it, i mean, go get some streamers.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:17 PM
PatrickCurry

Dang Clean, I've got to get off the buddy box first!  LOL  Thanks for the input.  Villa, you don't score the wing at *all*?  Not even with a screwdriver or something?  I'm kinda surprised with it though because it's kinda starting to look good.   I was amazed when I built my first scratchbuilt electric foamy from internet plans and it actually flew....  I will be amazed again if my spad actually flies. LOL
Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Villa

Hi PatrickCurry
The only wing scoring I do is to the inside of the LE of the wing. I use a tool sold at Lowe's that is used to replace mosquito screening on the screen of a window. Works great. It has a small diameter wheel at the end of a handle. About $6.00.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM
PatrickCurry

Yeah, I tried one of those today Villa.  It's a spline tool.  I used it to crease the flutes for the wing wrap and it worked great.  Thanks for the tip!

Pat
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 AM
rsieminski

That's what I use for 2mm too. You have to watch it though, because it'll wander on you if you don't watch it. Mine has a thin wheel, and a thicker wheel on the other end. For 4mm, i use either a router, or my dremel with an 1/8 - 3/16ths bit, and route 2.5-3mm deep (just above the bottom skin. This takes 90% of the tension off the TE, and less likely to pop on an abrupt encounter with the ground.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 PM
PatrickCurry

Well fellas, I finally got my Deb wing built...... and it only took 4 types of glue!  LOL  I used CA, GG, Goop and hot glue.  What an adventure.   Since my wing is almost perfectly flat on the bottom, should I put a couple degrees of incidence in it?  I've got the prescribed 5" of dihedral in it, but wasn't sure about the flatness of it.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 AM
rsieminski

No, no incedence, just make sure the ailerons are reflexed an 1/8". Next wing, no matter if it's all 4mm, all 2mm, or RNAF, do not crease over the spar. A nice smooth, curved transition. If it's all 4mm, try to route out 1/4" on the inside shin of the LE. That'll take most of the pressure off of the TE.

Looks great! Go fly! Good luck on the maiden. Welcome to the addiction.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:51 PM
pkauffold

I just built a Mugi Evo from 2mm coroplast and used Uglu throughout (www.ugluit.com). It is a clear viscous 1" tape and I found from tests that it worked well in tension and shear. I cleaned the coroplast with acetone and then sandpaper followed by another cleaning with acetone. It doesn't really dry it just gets less and less sticky. Cleans up with acetone.

I promtly took the Evo out and put it into the ground from about 50ft at full throttle. The cable ties carried away (motor went another 30 feet) but NONE OFTHEGLUE JOINTS FAILED. No slippage, no distortion. I'm pretty much sold on Uglu for coro until something better comes along.

Available from Amazon. I recommend the MTR703 package that has a small roll of tape plus a bunch of "patches".

BTW, for scoring coroplast the pizza cutter works very well.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:19 AM
PatrickCurry

ORIGINAL: MrGreenSpeed
Some coro (mostly used 4mil signs) I have, there is no way CA will work good with it, That's way I use poly glue for 90% of My Spads.

Good luck.
Jeff[8D]
You mean if it's printed? So like you need either clean coro or printed coro scratched down to bare coro? I might have to pull my belt sander out. I'm still getting varying results with different glues but most of the coro I'm using is used 4mm signs too.