Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
HOR powerplant question... >

HOR powerplant question...

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

HOR powerplant question...

Old 06-19-2003, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOR powerplant question...

Hey HOR fans,

I am planning on building my HORs with 1/16" thick C channel (3/4" wide), and powering them with Magnum .28s with Kentucky Mousse Can pipes. Will my C channel flex under high speed turns or while pulling out of power dives?

Thanks!

-Dan
Old 06-19-2003, 11:08 PM

Not a great idea go with the 1/8 thickness save weight somewhere else.
my 2 cents
Old 06-20-2003, 12:48 AM

Agreed. You will get flex. Go with the 1/8" C or 1/16" box aluminum. Should go like hot stink, you'll have some fun!
Old 06-20-2003, 03:38 PM

Nah, I use the 1/16 in with mine, and it has a Mag .40. The fastest we clocked it was 116 in a slight dive, so the other day I piped it, yet to find out how fast it is now.

I'm sure there's a little flex but full speed bank and yank performance doesn't suffer. People are amazed at how fast it'll come out of a turn.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:18 PM

Have you tried things like snap rolls and high speed spins? No flex problems? That surprises me a lot.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:58 PM

Default HOR

I am lost and just starting to build the HOR. The spad original plans call for the fus to be built of 1 inch L aluminium stock at 1/16 thickness. I notice that the material has some flex in it. Is it better to make one with the 1 inch L material that is 1/8 in thick? Seems heavy for a .15. The box 1inch, or 4 sided material is very strong but complicates the installation of servos since you must cut thru the aluminium. Or are you talking about using the 3 sided material instead? Finally what is C channel? I guess the weight is not a problem if you use a .46 but it will be for a .15
Old 06-20-2003, 11:01 PM

For a .15, the 1/16" L is best. It keeps the weight down, and the .15 doesn't have the power to flex anything. You don't want a .15 HOR getting any heavier than around 2.75 lbs. give or take.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:27 PM

FrankC29,
Snaps and flat spins are very crisp. "No flex problems?" Maybe it flexes but I can't tell. This thing really rips the sky up. The other day, before they closed the field, we flew in 30+ mph winds. I'd just go back and forth into and with the wind. With the wind it was easily doing 130, without flutter or visible flex.

bulletbob,
The "C channel" should be called u channel. It has 3 sides: 1/2" wall going down, 3/4" accross the bottom, and 1/2" going back up. I had real problems with v-tail flutter and flex with the .15 I too think the 1/6" 1in L will be fine. If there's too much flex, use the C-channel. Cutting through the box is waaaayyy too much work. KIS
Old 06-25-2003, 04:21 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Whatever you do, DO NOT mix up the .050" L-channel sold at Home Depot with true 1/16" (.05625") L-channel sold by Lowe's. There is a HUGE difference in flex between the two different types of channel.

As far as using 1/16", I have seen no problems. We've distributed close to two dozen kits, and at least 1/3 of them have flown. I don't think anyone's had any concerns about fuselage flex.

Frankly, "bend not break" is desirable in an SSC plane. Make things too rigid, and you end up breaking the plane in places you wouldn't expect.