Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Cool hinge cutting tool !!

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Cool hinge cutting tool !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 01:36 PM
JuniorPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool hinge cutting tool !!

Originally posted by Woodsy
"You can;t fly full throtle with a SPAD because they will flex being made outta coro and all!!!"

Absolute Rubish.
A SPAD built to go fast will have no problems with flex, from memory the corodust is good for 90mph with no flex.

the problem is a plane (coro or balsa) designed for slow flight and hovering will not like zooming around the sky at balistic speeds.
as lomcevek1 said
"I think my problem was too much power" and "I learned later that it is meant to fly at high AOA but I never tried it again"
Opps I'm sorry I missread something OH and I don;t have a PBF
Old 06-28-2003, 02:46 PM
pinball-RCU

Rube Goldbergish or not, I still think it's the coolest hinge cutting tool ever!
Old 06-28-2003, 03:08 PM
upnflyin

makin mine right now.....
Al
Old 06-29-2003, 12:59 AM
lomcevek1

Well I am glad you like it !!!
Old 06-29-2003, 03:45 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I really like your puller flute cutting tool. I've been doing it free hand with a #11 Exacto and a ruler, first scoring the surface and then going back with the blade cutting from the inside out and although I've been successful, it's tricky.

What kind of glue are you using? I suppose roughing up the side of the blade with sandpaper before gluing is a good idea.

One suggestion and what I'll try is making a lead portion in front of the blades that will go into and follow the flute before the blade comes and makes the cut. The blades will less likely wander or dig into the remaining coro.

Good idea lomcevek1
Old 06-30-2003, 01:41 AM
JuniorPilot

I made one today!! Made it with a shart to hold like a pencil and put less strain on my fingers works good though! Instead of balsa you could use a popcicle stick! I was just thinking abou tthat as i was cutting my balsa :P
Old 06-30-2003, 05:40 AM
art43

Default HINGE TOOL

I use a thingabob that my wife gave me. It's a tool that she uses to rip out stiches. It's got a snout that sticks out in front of a sidewase facing "U" that has a cutting edge in the "U", works good. But i like LOMCEVEK 1 better,only I think I will make mine with a pusher and see how that will work.Good idea LOMCEVEK 1.
art43
Old 06-30-2003, 05:34 PM
dptp9lf

Default Possible Safety concern?

It looks awesome.
How hard is it to pull through... could it fly at you and hit you when it pulls through the end?
I use Tatoo's design and it works great as well.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:54 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: HINGE TOOL

Originally posted by art43
I use a thingabob that my wife gave me. It's a tool that she uses to rip out stiches. It's got a snout that sticks out in front of a sidewase facing "U" that has a cutting edge in the "U", works good. But i like LOMCEVEK 1 better,only I think I will make mine with a pusher and see how that will work. Good idea LOMCEVEK 1.
art43
I agree. I'm gonna make me one of these (GREAT IDEA LOMCEVEK!) but I'd think the pusher idea would be faster and easier.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Johnnylightning

Originally posted by lomcevek1
Well I am glad you like it !!!
Like it?!...I love it! Totally not what I had imagined. Pic =one thousand words! Thanks lomcevek1!
Old 03-23-2004, 11:04 PM
JimRoss

Default RE: Cool hinge cutting tool !!

I'm sorry, I disagree with all the aforementioned. The twin hook blade is the easiest thing since shirt pockets were invented. Never had a bad cut, never had to thread a string through a flute, never had it jump out and fly away and hit the dog in the eye, and it is really easy to find on the bench. Insert both hooked blades into a flute and pull. Self guiding, makes perfect cuts every time, hos cna life get any easier? The secret is to get the blades set to an angle where the tips will not dig into the bottom surface.

JimRoss

P.S.
Both my spad Demons fly at an outrageous speed and don't have any flex, flutter, twist, bend, bow, fold, spindle, or mutilation.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1204344/mpage_1/key_coroplast%252Ccutting%252Ctool/anchor/tm.htm#1204344]this[/link]. Like a hot knife through butter. I can strip both sides of an inside (or outside) flute in about 5 seconds on a full 8 foot run.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:38 AM
canadianice

I use the K.I.S.S. method just use a retacable box cutter and only extend it a 1\16 or so. I know you gotta make two passes but you never cut through the top.