Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Please Help SPAD GODS

Old 06-24-2003, 03:26 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help SPAD GODS

I am building my first Basic spad.....my problem is gluing....I have sanded, wiped, flashed, wiped, flashed the lady next door, dabed a drop of med ca every half inch or so. My test joints hold to a point then fail....as I try to rip them apart. I'm I expecting to much from from the glu-joints. I make wood joints that are better then base wood. What shoud i expect from coroplast?????

I will be willing to sacrafice my sister for a good coroplast glu.
Regards
Hairless
Old 06-24-2003, 03:43 AM

When I have this problem I flash it, then use 5 min epoxy. Wait at least 12 hours before you TRY to pull the wings apart.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:46 AM

Are you using the water mist on the opposing surface? Makes a big difference in a dry climate.

When you flash, is the flame touching the coro? It should.

Is your CA fresh? Old CA sucks.

Did the lady next door pass out?
Old 06-24-2003, 11:52 AM

also, they should be very very small dots, almost pin head sized, more is not better with CA. Alot of small dots is better than a few large drops... The coro should not be moved once it come in contact with the CA, if the joint moves around, it will be a weak joint.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:09 PM

When I flash the plastic the flame touches. i have the new tourch can't adjust the flame it come on nice and blue. CA may be a 6 mo. And my dots are a little big. And no she did'nt. thats what i'm trying to explane to my wife. When i pull the coro in tension it holds. but when i twist and peal thats when it fails. I see dry glu on both peices. Do any of you guys get coro failure or is it joint failure?
Thanks
Gene
Old 06-24-2003, 12:16 PM

too much ca and/or your letting the joint move around before it sets! Using little dots, it will actually bond the coro together. When you try to pull it apart, it will tear the coro but the joint will not fail..
Old 06-24-2003, 12:24 PM

Cutting more test strips now.
Thanks.
Gene
Old 06-24-2003, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try poly glue and the woodpecker method...just leave it alone for 18 hours.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Please Help SPAD GODS

What shoud i expect from coroplast?????
You should expect joints that are stronger than the material. You should only be able to pull the material apart by tearing the coro.

How long are you letting the glue cure? I use 24 hours for my test strips. I've seen wet glue after 4 hours. CA can take a LONG time to dry between pieces of coro.

p.s. Please post a picture of your sister.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:51 PM

I've seen wet glue after 4 hours. CA can take a LONG time to dry between pieces of coro.
If its still wet after 4 hours, your using too much... Medium CA is all the glue you ever need, just don't use too much...
Old 06-24-2003, 04:12 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Also, if you're wiping the surface of the coro AFTER you flash it, you're shooting yourself in the foot! You just destroyed everything you did by flashing.

Flash, then do NOT touch the surface you just flashed for any reason. More CA is not better. Use tiny dots. Large quantities of CA do not cure quickly.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:07 PM

ca doesn't cure fully for 24 hours. Regardless of the amount used. I've yet to see it reach full strength in less time. Try another test section, and leave it for a full 24 hours, then try getting it to come apart.

As far as twisting goes, i've yet to have a wing encounter a twisting load. tension and shear, yes, but not twist.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:00 PM

then of coarse there is always TAPE 3m VHB thats tuff as nails.
tinker
Old 06-25-2003, 01:04 AM

If you can't get a handle on the flashing for CA, the just GOOP that sucker!

The GOOP joints will need to be clamped up and let to sit overnight. It may take a bit longer, but my experiences have been that there is no prep work necessary for the GOOP and you end up with a joint that stays flexible as opposed to the more rigid joints of the CA.

Good luck,
Old 06-25-2003, 02:16 AM

It seems to be highly individualized, what works for one wont work for someone else. eg. I don't flash anymore, I scratch with 200 grit or there about, wipe with meth or acetone, and wood pecker it. A thin wavy line of zap, and hold for ~45 seconds. I've never had one come loose yet. You have to test it on a scrap piece 1st.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:25 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rubber cement seems to work for me with no failures yet.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:16 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the clamp it overnight - when i first tried on test strips I thought that the CA would be good in an hour or two. I was about to give up. Then left some clamped overnight and as they said- the coro will rip before the glue gives. And, as Tattoo mentioned, if you are glueing in a dry climate or in a air conditioned room, mist a little water on one side, or like I do -next to or near the joint to be glued. The moisture or humidity is needed for CA to work right.

Dwight
Old 06-25-2003, 04:19 AM

keep the ca in the house, not in the garage or anywhere where it gets hot, especially this time of year. Also, buy ca in small quantities and try to use it as quickly as possible. Fresh is good. I like to use ca within a month of buying it. Try the thin stuff, works good for me. Sometimes my joints are like steel. Sometimes you can take them apart without a whole lotta effort, either way I've never had a joint fail in flight or otherwise.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:15 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I am always so amazed at the differences people have when using/attempting to use CA. It seems there is no "constant" at all when it comes to using CA. I read this thread and just shook my head - not because I don't believe that some of you have problems gluing with CA - just that the fact that I have NEVER had a problem gluing with CA. Weird!

In fact (some of you are going to hate me for this! )......I am building my Ultra SPADStick (almost done)...........and I used CA for the entire construction (except for gluing the tail on).......and I never even flashed anywhere! I simply wiped the area to be glued with a papertowel.......I spread a row of dots across the joint....then I misted the opposite side with water and I held the joint for about 1 minute. Done. No popping open.......no nothing. Simply weird why it works for some....and not others.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:28 PM

Thanks all...I am trying all you ideas to see what works for me. I called the manufactur of the coro i have. I talked to the manufacturing engineer and his response was " Huh...glue it? We never thought about gluing it. Why would you do that?" at that point I thought I should just put the phone down and back away. But I did find some adhesive made to glue polypropalene. scotch-weld dp8005 WAY PRICEY!!!!!
Iam doing all you guys say...I'll let the thred know.
Thank you very much.
Gene
Old 06-25-2003, 02:46 PM
`3D
My Feedback: (1)

I also read somewhere here that somwone was using staples....what ever works for you...thats what makes this S.P.A.D. thing so fun.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:59 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Glmoore, I have tryed a few different kinds of ca and found the zap a gap in the green bottle to be the best ca by far! I prep the surface with mineral spirts and rough sand paper And just run a bead of ca down the alierons or the spar and it sticks like mad! I glued something a while back wrong and within 5 mins i couldnt get it apart without alot of force. I never check my joints as i havent had a ca joint fail yet. On the wing i let the wing set with weight on it for about 20 mins before i move it
Old 06-26-2003, 07:22 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I had a sturdy birdy trainer about 10 years ago and the kit said to assemble with contact cement. Apply a thin coating to both sides being glued, and allow them to become tacky. Then mash em together and presto they are glued. Cabinet laminate works the same way. Once it touches together its is permenant tho so be careful!
Old 06-26-2003, 08:09 PM

Zap is the best!
Old 06-28-2003, 04:58 AM
My Feedback: (19)

Default Whats Your Sister Look Like ??

Try 3m super weather strip adhesive . Lay down a small bead of adhesive on one piece .. Press them together then pull them apart ..Ley them stand seperated for 3 to 5 minutes then press back together and hold for a minute ..Bang your done ..
Also Wall Mart Welder glue works the same ..A little longer between pulling apart and restiking thow ..(( I hate To Wait ))) ..
My wife said you can keep your sister thow ..