Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Lightening a SPAD?

Old 06-26-2003, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightening a SPAD?

I was just wondering if anyone has ever drilled holes along the fuselage and then covered with Monokote? I would think that you could cut several large holes along each of the four sides and still get plenty of strength. The monokote would cover the holes for aerodynamic reasons and I bet you could cut 1/2 lb+ off of the total weight if done there and maybe some places on the wing. Just a thought,, may not work.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use vinyl, not Monokote. You will melt the coro before the Monokote glue can be activated. And let us know if the lightening holes work. Been thinking about that myself.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:40 AM

Yep many of the SPAD's are lightened that way and covered with sign vynal, particularly the bigger SPAD's and the 3D ones like the spazler
Old 06-26-2003, 10:44 AM
`3D
My Feedback: (1)

You can also use peel and stick shelf liner. I've used it to cover foam wings.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:26 PM

I didn't drill holes in the wing but I did cover holes on the fuse with monocoat, including the exposed area on the back of the Debonair near the tail.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by david a
I didn't drill holes in the wing but I did cover holes on the fuse with monocoat, including the exposed area on the back of the Debonair near the tail.
Hmm, how did you get it to stick? I've never been successful doing that. Coro always melts or warps before the monokote sticks. Please post your method, David.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:10 PM

No, I was talking about covering holes in the PVC fuselage with monokote, not the coro. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:47 PM

Default lightening holes

I have used 11/4 inch holes for lightening of the pvc fus for some time. on a sickle I covered them with white vinyl sign material. On a dogfighter I found a sign shop with some clear vinyl material and I use it to cover the holes. Makes a nice cover but allows viewing the holes, nice to see how much fuel remains in the tank sometimes
Old 06-27-2003, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Lightening a SPAD?

I bet you could cut 1/2 lb+ off of the total weight if done there and maybe some places on the wing. Just a thought,, may not work.

Take a look at my DPS I crashed .

You'll see some of the 1-3/4" holes I drill in the downspout. I leave some of the holes open to see the fuel level, and to gain access to the landing gear screws, etc., but there are others that you can't see that are covered with sign vinyl, not really for aerodynamics, mostly just to keep the dirt and oil out.

This technique has been around for a while, and is called "swiss cheesing the fuse". I think my picture proves pretty conclusively that it does not signicantly weaken the fuse. I plan my holes to allow places to zip tie the servos, etc., but I've seen folks just swiss cheese the entire fuse.

Six 1-3/4" holes = 1 ounce, so you can't save much more than 4 ounces. but every ounce counts, and the only reason not to swiss cheese is that it does take time.

Swiss cheesing the wings seems to be a lot less popular, and I've never tried it..
Old 06-27-2003, 07:09 PM

". . . On the 2 1/2" square pipe, i drill a 1 3/4" hole on a 2 1/8" center, that leaves 3/4" between the holes and a 3/8" lip top and bottom. I lose about 45% of the weight. . . ."
http://spadworld.net/viewtopic.php?p...er+centre#6934
Old 06-27-2003, 10:22 PM

hey, i remember that remark. I think i might have even made it. lol. You do lose a bunch of weight by cheesing the fuse. All 2 mil wings help matters as well. So does elliminating the gutterpipe and using it for formers for a coro fuse. all work well.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:04 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you use to drill the 1 3/4 inch holes? I checked the local harbor freight and they didn't have anything that could drill a hole that large. Thanks,
ANdy
Old 06-28-2003, 02:28 AM

1 3/4" holesaw.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41436