Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
 New airframe idea - Flying runway >

New airframe idea - Flying runway

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

New airframe idea - Flying runway

Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New airframe idea - Flying runway

Thanks Hugger. You have plenty of time to practice, but you will be the 1st pilot to attempt this. You'll be the man I call when it's ready I just moved so my hobbies are having to take a quick break while I get my life back in order (again), but I'm not putting this one to bed.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 PM
My Feedback: (6)

You bet!! Just keep at it! We just moved into a new house that my wife and I spent 3 years building ourselves. So I'm not moving again anytime soon! Just give me a P.M. or post it here somewhere and Super Cub and I will meet you where ever you are!
Old 11-14-2009, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: PatrickCurry

Dude, already been done.... http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...0-1280-800.jpgJust messin with ya.

LOL!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:56 AM
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to carry the torch here. 4X8 sheet of 8mil coro, Tubular aluminum outer frame, L inner brackets, engine pod below the wing with 4 degrees of down thrust and twin outward leaning rudders on the outer edges. No prop wash on the flight deck a 10 to 12 oz wing loading and a stall speed of 10 mph. 50cc gasser mounted to a 4" fence plastic post. Here are some pics of my 4' by 3'6"' 3d plane that flys awesome. 16 lbs AUW and tons of fun. Landing on a flying or moving object is interesting because your relative speed can be 0mph and just lower onto the flight deck..... maybe built in wheel stops in lines across the deck? For scale in the picture with me in it, I am 6'7" and 250lbs. big plane that flys and flys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96841.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1344920   Click image for larger version

Name:	tr49323.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	1344921   Click image for larger version

Name:	ec87562.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	1344922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22654.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	1344923  
Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 AM

Hi donnspadbauer
Very impressive plane. Are those heavy duty servos on the elevons?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:31 PM

Yes Sir, Hitec 5955s all the way around. She will almost bite her own tail in a loop, I have 6" of throw in either direction and 75% expo on all channels. The engine is a 52cc Turnigy I got off RCU spinning a 22X8 Xoar. 24 ounce fual tank is good for 35 to 45 minutes She will hover all day and still land at about 5 mph. 1 full sheet of 4 mil coro and half of a 8' vinyl fence post. The top skin flutes run length wise and the bottom chordwise.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:26 PM

I stayed up till 4am this morning thinking about this Darn carrier. Flat sheet with one rudder pointing down supported by aluminum tube to also act as rear gear. Front gear out at the edges of the sheet giving about 28" of wing clearance and 3 inches of prop clearance. Thinking about using a hitec 5995TG to rotate the engine pod for vectored thrust.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 PM
My Feedback: (6)

..... maybe built in wheel stops in lines across the deck?
I'm thinking maybe a line stretched across two short stantions between the leading edge and the COG of your carrier, then a piece of aluminum pushrod or such attached to a servo to come up and lock in place after recieving the smaller plane.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thinking about this (OH GOD I'M thinking again, Better duck) But why would a airborne carrier ever really need a runway??? It already has the forward momentum to get anything on it's deck airborne and to land the landing aircraft would only need to match speed and touch down (kinda like when refueling in the air) so if it was a reality it would only need landing pads for other aircraft to land, (ok gotta stop thinking now.... THIS HURTS!!!!)

Dauntae
Old 01-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Exactly what I was thinking, carrier flys at just above smaller planes stall speed and landing plane just lowers down. Soft velcro around the small plane's tires and strips of the hook velcro on the carrier's flight deck. Electric or glow for the smaller plane and a 40 to 50cc gasser on the carrier. I am thinking maybe a hammer head design, 8 foot long and 4 foot wide with two winglets at the front end even with the engine pod. Drawings to come.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Great ideas, but I'm thinking that a short landing strip is important to act as a landing safety net. Can't expect the lander to be precise everytime, I need room for error.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:38 PM

I sure wish someone would go ahead and build this, and then provide us with flight reports. Since the landing pilot will not know where the runway plane is relative to his plane, making a landing will be an accident rather than a plan. Go for it! You will learn a lot about the limits of R/C.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:44 PM

Low slow fly by's should allow landing pilot to have enough visual reference to lower down onto the carrier. I will work on this over the next few weeks and I would love more input!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Hi donnspadbauer
Google Depth Perception. You will learn that the binocular vision all of us have, due to having two eyes a few inches apart, works only for about 17 feet. I never land that close to myself due to the danger involved. You certainly do not want to make your maiden landing under 17 feet away, since a crash may occur. Go for it. Report what you learn. Will the landing plane have a TV camera for aligning to the runway plane?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:57 AM

Villa, good point on depth perception, however the human eye can and does use other visual references to aid in precision alignment of far off objects (greater than the 17 foot average limit of depth perception) for instance crane or heavy equipment operators are trained to use the comparative or relative size of known objects to determine near exact alignment at great distances. Another point is the relative speeds of the two objects in motion, the lower the speed differential the easier the landing will be, think of it as a 0 mph stall speed or liken it to landing with a headwind equal or greater than the stall speed of the aircraft. You can practice this is simulation by dialing up the wind speed and landing with 0 mph ground speed. Another thing to consider is high alpha landings, i.e. harriers onto the carrier to further decrease stall speed and relative speed. A little Velcro to catch and I think we can do it.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:02 AM
My Feedback: (20)

Villa, my New Year's resolution for 2010 is to get you to lighten up!    Maybe they should adopt the standard RCCA field when they give this a shot....... I mean what's the difference between *trying* to land gently on top of a slowly piloted bohemoth vs. trying to cut the tail off a dozen planes with streamers flitting around like bats on a summer night?  And if our depth perception only works for 17 feet, what right does the State of Georgia have to tell me I have to signal 100' before I get to my turn on the road?  How do I know when to turn on my blinker?  I'm not doubting you and I'm not saying my depth perception is more than 17' but if someone wants to ram a plane into a willing participant, who am I to argue as long as they do it safely?    I just wish I could be around to see this because Youtube is never going to do this one justice. LOL  Because you know we're never going to see the dozen takes of carnage it takes to get that OMG landing!  [X(]<div>
</div><div>
</div>
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 AM

And after teasing Villa and reading Donn's post about depth perception I do have to admit the guys at the club have said I have flown "below and behind" the pine trees at the end of our field and I have no idea what they are talking about..... I thought I was simply "flying the pattern".    I have *never* seen my plane disappear from sight! [8D]
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 AM

I am glad some one else called Grumpy MCgrumperson on his negativity. Good thing everyone told the Wright brothers they would never fly..........
Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 AM

Nah, my tag on RCG is "ornery old fart in training".  If it wasn't for these old cats teaching me....  nothing but respect brother.  I pick on folks I like and I don't even know Villa.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 PM

Hi donnspadbauer
Glad to read you are aware of the challenges. Almost anything is possible. Go for it.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I for one am looking forward to the youtube destruction videos. You are NOT ALLOWED to do any of this without video of every step. From the first test launch to the inevitable, and it is, burning death spiral of the whole kit n kaboodle.

'It will all end in tears. I just know it!'
Eddie the shipboard computer, in alternate personality
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy
BBC Radio
Old 01-22-2010, 02:23 PM

Awe come on Clean, where's your optimism?!  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming you get a carrier ship to fly. I believe the landing part would be reletively easy with FPV piloting used on the landing plane. Have the carrier ships landing pad clearly marked with the C/G of the carrier. That would be the target. Both aircraft match speed and it would look much like a helicopter landing. If the landing plane were to reduce power after touch down... well then it will apear to be blown off the deck.

A twin engine twin boom design with rediculous wing area for sub 25 MPH flight would be the ticket. As stated above a "runway" on the back of this "mother ship" would not be needed.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:58 PM

Yes but we would want to take off and land on the carrier. Strips of velcro on the flight deck cross wise and a velcro wrapped tail wheel would enable a tail hook and power on release. And a carrier will fly!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:31 PM

Hi donnspadbauer
Go for it. Any idea when we might see the first flight report?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.