Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

New airframe idea - Flying runway

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

New airframe idea - Flying runway

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Villa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New airframe idea - Flying runway

Hi BuiltNotBought
Am I the only one interested in seeing the report on this project? What is the current status? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:22 AM
draftman1

hey Villa, Built isnt in my area anymore. Im not sure what he has been doing. its too bad, he is a natural pilot and had alot of great ideas. I hope he will chime in soon.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:52 PM
donnspadbauer
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys, I have built a half length runway, 4' by 4', out of 6mm and will maiden it soon. you can see it here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...63/key_/tm.htm

as a proof of concept this went really easy, I will move the rudders to the outer edges and the avionics to the underside and she will be AWESOME!

I used a 1/4" u channel for the leading edge and I will do all 4 sides on the runway I am also going to move the engine to a pod underneath so fighter take offs won't end in shredded planes
Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Villa

Hi draftman1
Thanks for the update on Built.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:23 PM
BuiltNotBought

Hey guys, sorry for going quiet for so long. As Draftman said, I no longer live in his area, I've moved out to the coast and I'v been super busy getting a job, a car and rent taken care of. I'm still dirt poor right now, but I'm gonna pick up some Coro this Friday and start working on the Spadet. When I'm done building the trainer I'm going to build a Corostang, but after that I will begin construction on this behemoth that I have yet to name. The reason behind all this delay is to get my hands dirty buiding a basic, and more advanced airframe so I have tips to use when building this bad boy. I have blueprints drawn up already (somewhere around here) and I will be sure to photograph the building process each step of the way so I can post building instructions on SpadToTheBone and MidCalSpads, but I will be sure to film the maiden and other prelim flights. Once the ship is ship-shape, the landings will take place at the Thunderhawks airfield.

I apologize again for being such a aparition here, life's crazy and my wallet is empty, but I have the drive, and more crazy ideas too! Keep an eye out for my new airframe designs. I will post updates at least once a week.

-Built
Old 05-02-2010, 05:35 PM
draftman1

hey buddy, thanks for checking in! glad to see things are doing ok for you. keeps us posted and when you get over in the area, give me a call so we can go fly! good deal on starting a plane!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:01 AM
BuiltNotBought

Thanks, but I found that my blueprints needed revising. Now that I've finished the hand drawing, I need to put it into the computer to get more accurate plans (my lines don't always end up exactly on point).

As a teaser though, here are the dimentions of the prototype:
Height (without landing gear): 44",
Length (Nose to rudder): 12'10",
Wingspan: 27'6".

(If you want these measurments in metric, convert it yourself )

-Built
Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 AM
mustangman177

What is going to be the power on this bad boy ?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM
BuiltNotBought

Well, as I haven't yet calculated approximate weight yet, I really don't know. In all honesty though I don't want it to be a big gasser, I'd like two or four props across the main wing to minimize prop wash for the landing plane. I've also added wingtip gates to reduce a wingtip vortex. Also. after some thought I'd like some suggestions for a system to hold the landing craft in place after it lands. Unfortunatly I don't think velcro will work. Try taking your trainer out to the field with velcro wrapped around the wheels and put some velcro on the runway and see if you can stall down onto the runway and have the velcro stick if you disagree with me

After sitting here for 10 minutes, what do you guys think of a reverse tailhook? We're already making serious efforts to allow for a relative 0 mph stall landing, so why not have the (skilled) landing pilot stall just ahead of the wire and cut power so his craft drops to the deck and relative wind pushes his craft backwards hooking it on one of two wires on the deck? A simple servo could raise and lower something as simple as a coathanger wire, and with my airship's open-front design the craft can take off again by powering up and flying forward out of the "door".

-Built
Old 05-05-2010, 11:30 PM
donnspadbauer
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good high quality hook and loop with a very high nap will work, remember the goal is 1 to 2 mph speed differential and several 4†strips across the deck will catch a plane at low speeds. Get some high nap Velcro and stick it to a piece of plywood, try just running a plane across it with the hook side wrapped around the tail wheel (use larger than normal tail wheel) she will stop on a dime! Or 4 inches……
Old 05-05-2010, 11:51 PM
BuiltNotBought

I will investigate your idea further, props don!

-Built
Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
BuiltNotBought

Okay, I told you guys I'd an update once a week and I'm gonna stick to it. So far the finishing touches on the blueprints have had to stop because of finals at school, but those will be done with this week. Also, financial responsibilities have prevented me from picking up my 4 mil coro, but that will also soon be rectified. So basically, update: 0% progress.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Too bad y'all can't make it to SPADFest and hash this all out in a massive brainstorming session!  LOL  'Course if there were 10 people working on it, there's probably be 10 different productions!  
Old 05-18-2010, 04:40 PM
draftman1

hey Adam, bummer about the finances. im sure it will all come together!

Patrick, here is a side note, just after Adam soloed, he buried my spadet trainer, nose first, straight in, man it looked ugly! I thought it was time to retire the old bird. well, she is still flying and has trained a couple of other pilots! the coro fuse is so much better than the downspout, maybe you should make a coro fuse for your DPS

SPADS rule!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:03 PM
BuiltNotBought

@DraftMan: it's ok, I'm makin' it one day at a time. Now that my college finals are done I'll have more time this summer to devote to work/spads.

Update: Bought two sheets of 4'x8' Coro for $27 today and started cutting out a Spadet so as to learn some building techniques by doing them. Have PLENTY of leftover coro, but I need to find a 2 mil supplier. After the Spadet is done I will build one more spad (something with a round fuse) to learn other essential techniques, and then it's on to the beast. Decided on the name: "Nebula" so the CoroNeb is the official name now. Will document the build so (hopefully [if anyone else is as crazy as me and wants to build their own]) you'll find this on SpadToTheBone.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:09 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

I'd like to switch to the coro fuses but I'm running out of time getting my stuff together for SF and new ideas and I don't mesh well under pressure!  LOL  

Built, I like CorrugatedPlastics.NET for my 2mm.  They charge a flat $3.50/sheet for 2x4 panels and only charge what UPS charges them to ship.  Harbor Sales is a little cheaper on the coro but they charge a flat $49.95 shipping starting out so for smaller orders the shipping can be a little steep.  Just the couple times I've talked to each on the phone, the folks at Corrugated were WAY more friendly on the phone to me and I like that.  Good luck with the build!

Pat

Old 05-29-2010, 10:28 AM
BuiltNotBought

Thanks Pat. Once I get a new bank account I will check them out. Out of my impatience though I've built my Spadet wing entirely out of 4 mil. (This will be interesting.) I'm using Draft's preferred 3in dihedral. The fuse is done and the wing panels are ready for folding, but I just ran out of CA so it's on hiatus. Also I don't have a designated work space here and have been building it on carpet which is so lame that I may as well cut and build it in a bounce house, but nontheless it's come out pretty nice, but there's a slight twist in the fuse behind the wing. I don't think it's enough to affect flight (It's only a couple millimeters twist) but I was wondering if there was a way to compensate or fix the twist without having to undo my joints.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:38 PM
draftman1

just fly it! the trainer you flew had more of a twist than that!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:49 PM
BuiltNotBought

Thanks draft, I will just trust in my construction (what a fool I am! ).

Update: my fiscal pool is especially dry this paycheck, but I nearly have the plans ready so get ready to see them here soon.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 PM
BuiltNotBought

Ok, I'm not trying to bump thisthread, but seeing as it has been a little while since my last update you guys are due for some kind of information.

Reason for inactivity: I was repainting my bedroom and working almost full-time.

Update: I nearly have my Spadet together. Building Spads is realllllly easy so far, gonna see if that changes when I move to a round fuse plane. The hardest part seems to be "unwrapping" the final airframe into a 2D sheet of coro. Here's what my Spadet looks like so far:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47950.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1456415  
Old 06-21-2010, 03:12 PM
mustangman177

Good progress.. Keep us updated on the final results and maiden.

I know what work and flying time can do to a guy !!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuiltNotBought
The hardest part seems to be ''unwrapping'' the final airframe into a 2D sheet of coro. Here's what my Spadet looks like so far:
You have watched Draftman1's videos on that on SPADWORLD right? It'll help you out on the round fuse stuff and the spadet will make you a better pilot and it's fun to fly even if you're a top dog.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 PM
BuiltNotBought

@Clean: ya, the Spadet is a lot more fun to fly than I thought a trainer should legally be allowed to be. I've seen Draft's youtube videos on his channel, but Ima head over to SpadWorld and check it out in case there are others I haven't seen.

BTW, @Draftman: when are you gonna put up the rest of the Spadet videos?