Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

SPA3D for first 3D profile

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPA3D for first 3D profile

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:10 PM
fly boy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPA3D for first 3D profile

I've been wanting to get into real 3D for a while. The Mojo 40 is a kit and I'm a high school student with a part time job so I have little time build from sticks. The OMP Edge is a bit too high for me. I got to thinking what about a coro proflile. My first plane was a Debonair coverted to a taildragger,so I have thing for spads. It looks like an easy build, cheap. How well does it fly? Is it good for a first 3D profile? A bit of background, I can fly 3D with a foamie if this helps, hover, flying inverted over the runway, etc.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:50 PM
donnspadbauer
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SPA3D for first 3D profile

The spa3d or the 3dt are fantastic 3d planes! I have built 3 2 with 46ax's and one with a saito 82. These are my favorite planes to practice STUPID stuff, like hitting one wing tip one the ground in a knife edge, cartwheeling then climbing out in a torque roll![X(] I have witness'! The build takes a couple of hours and your biggest expense will be props The 3dt is a little heavier but several times stronger if you like to crash! Good luck. PS make your landing gear a little longer in the planes ( saves props on true harrier landings)
Old 12-05-2009, 03:16 PM
traiders
My Feedback: (3)

fly boy2, when you build this plane and fly it, you will love it. A computerized radio helps, if you don't program dual rates and exponential, it's real touchy to fly. Make sure you start with a little down elevator and raise both ailerons up to middle of channel. I think you call this reflex? I tried aluminum gear, but got tired of having to straighten it. I'm now using fiberglass gear with 4" lite wheels. I started with 46 Magnum XLS, 12 x 4 APC prop. I now have 52 Magnum XLS, 12.25 x 3.75 prop. With this combination, I have all the power I need to fly great. I put my throttle servo behind tank to give motor mount alittle more strength. I did not put the propfile fuselage on mine. Even with the modifications I've made, my plane still is under 5 lbs. Buying props get expensive at first, but if you stay with it, you will quit breaking as many.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:14 PM
fly boy2

Why does it have a tentency to break props? I have heard a lot about it. Does it sit low to the ground?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:50 PM
traiders

Dumb thumbs, learning curve, stalling plane, taking off and landing. For what ever reason, my plane takes off best holding full up elevator and full throttle. As soon as plane gets in air, release elevator or plane may come back and hit you or scare the crap out of you!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Villa

Hi fly boy2
You ask "Why does it have a tendency to break props?" It is very difficult to make a good landing with it. Most planes have an airfoil wing with adequate wing span, so they can slow down for a landing and still be in control, and the stall point is predictable. This one is different. It is low cost, tough as nails, a lot of fun to fly, but usually hits the ground very hard because of the unpredictable stall point. On my worst day I broke 5 props on mine. I soon scrapped it. Go for it, it is a ball to fly. I have a SPAD Biplane that hangs on the prop, does all other maneuvers, plus lands so gentle I have never broken a prop. You can search for it here.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A SPA3D is a perfect plane to enter 3D flying. IMHO it's better than starting with a balsa profile plane. You can learn the basics of 3D on the SPA3D, then move up to a full blown 3D profile later on.

I would suggest making some modifications to the SPA3D:

1. Leave off the fuselage. It makes a nice carrying handle, but just adds dead weight.

2. Use a 5/32" wire gear instead of the aluminum strap. This will save weight, and keep the landing gear from bending the fuselage U-channel.

3. Move the throttle servo back into the U-channel, just ahead of the aileron servo.

4. Skip the tail wheel and use a skid......or skip the skid and just let the tail drag on the ground.

Here's a link to a video of my version of a plane that's similar to the SPA3D.
http://www.spadtothebone.com/videos/the_big_mcddd.wmv
At the time I was flying it with a K&B 61. For the past couple of years I've been flying the same plane with a Webra 50, which works great!

Why does it have a tentency to break props?
Because a SPA3D is nearly indestructible, you soon learn you can push yourself beyond the limits of your flying skill without risking much more than a broken prop. Pushing yourself that far gives you an adrenaline rush that gets addictive..........and therefore results in lots of broken props.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:59 PM
traiders

Dave, you make that look way to easy. Yes this plane is addictive, I have not flown any of my other planes in months'.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Nitro J.
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: donnspadbauer

The spa3d or the 3dt are fantastic 3d planes! I have built 3 2 with 46ax's and one with a saito 82. These are my favorite planes to practice STUPID stuff, like hitting one wing tip one the ground in a knife edge, cartwheeling then climbing out in a torque roll![X(] I have witness'! The build takes a couple of hours and your biggest expense will be props The 3dt is a little heavier but several times stronger if you like to crash! Good luck. PS make your landing gear a little longer in the planes ( saves props on true harrier landings)
Hehe, one turn on the sticks with Donn's 3DT had me building one, too. Now, it's time for Spad 3DT combat!

FlyBoy, you will not laugh this much with another plane (well, maybe Dave's PBF).
Old 12-13-2009, 07:18 PM
traiders

After nearley 2 months of flying my spa3D, I finally crashed hard enough to bend the U channel to bad to repair. I'm go to upgrade to the Spa3DT. The 1" square aluminum tubing is a lot higher $, I hope it will be worth it.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:01 PM
traiders

I have nearley finished my Spa3DT, best I can tell it will weigh about 6 oz. more than my Spa3D. This brings total weight up to 5# 6 oz., if I don't have to add weight to balance. My Magnum 52 should still have plenty of power. I never flew more than half throttle at 5#, with unlimited vertical at full throttle.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:23 PM
traiders

Got to try my Spa3DT today and square tubing seems the best way to go. I crashed hard enought to break the fiberglass landing gear and didn't to any other damage than break the prop. I can tell some difference with 6 oz. more weight, but still hovers fine.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:00 PM
jib

We have a 3DT powered by a TT PRO 46 and a 14x4 APC prop. Plenty of power and the comments on indestructable are true, although we are finally starting to get a small rip where the aileron and wing meet. When this happened on my Deb, from multiple nasty crashes, I snuck a Robert hinge point in there and it's been solid every since. One of these days I'll build a new wing.

We used cheap Al to make the landing gear and will upgrade it this winter. I just don't know what I will use yet.

Jack
Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 PM
MrGreenSpeed

We used cheap Al to make the landing gear and will upgrade it this winter. I just don't know what I will use yet.
5/32 music wire held on with zip ties or round servo horns and screws in the cutting board engine mount work great.
Jeff.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:51 AM
donnspadbauer

I built a 160% 3dt powered with a CRRC 40cc gasser spinning a Xoar 20*X8 and OH MY GOD what a hoot[X(][X(] 2 Hitec 645mg's on the elevator a 5645 on the rudder and 2 more 645's on the ailerons. 12lbs AUW and 19lbs of thrust WOOOO HOOOO. 5 foot length with a 5 foot span. 8" rudder 6.75" ailerons and 7" elevators. Hovers for hours, Harriers hands off and takes off like a rocket with WOT. I took the Spa3dt plans and multiplied everything by 1.6, fairly simple build and a CRRC 40 is beam mount so you can use Poly board as your motor mount. Broke a $20 prop with an inverted harrier at 6 inches off the deck when a wind gust flipped her over and down, managed to get her back over onto the gear but REAL hard (see photo). 16oz tank fly’s for 25 minutes and it lands like a dream. I have been extending the bottom J fold back till it meets the top and this has improved the stalled/forward flight transition considerably on all the versions. I have a 46ax powered 3dt, a Saito FA82 powered McDDD, and this big girl here. By far my favorite planes to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13919.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	1344904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46335.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	1344905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23316.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1344906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ts63485.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1344907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lk85428.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1344908   Click image for larger version

Name:	My14741.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	1344909  
Old 01-16-2010, 08:18 PM
traiders

The throttle arm came off of my engine today letting plane fly WOT for 15 minutes. This SPA3DT is a hand full at this condition. Once engine dies, you have to get it down in a hury before it falls out of the sky. No damage, not even a broke prop.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 PM
donnspadbauer

Nice job getting her down man, I have flown a WOT 3dt into really tall grass trying to kill her and it worked great! no broken prop just an ass load of grass clippings
Old 01-16-2010, 09:25 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

That's awesome guys...... when I get to one of those OH SH#@ moments and actually save my plane I will consider myself "there".    Currently I'm getting up and down in one piece but I would *definitely* not consider myself a pilot or "there".  LOL