Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Flew my spad gnat today!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Darrell Bunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flew my spad gnat today!

Nothing great to tell about. It acted like it was under powered w/ os 20 on the nose.
Once it was airborne and built up speed rolls where pretty quick but loops where not
good. Also when the motor ran out of fuel it came down like a rock. Not too much fun.
Any body have any pointers?[&o][&o]
Darrell Bunch
Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 PM
icerinkdad

Default RE: Flew my spad gnat today!

Sounds nose heavy and maybe a high wing loading.
Bob
Old 04-12-2010, 11:54 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

I've got an old OS 20FP on mine too and I haven't gotten it perfected.  I've only flown mine a couple times and it still needs some adjustment but it's fun.  From everything I've read about the Gnat, it needs a lot of tweaking per your actual build as far as CG, throws, aileron reflex, etc.  One thing that's common is it's not a glider..... you run out of fuel and she's coming down!    I think the biggest thing is that she's more of a twitchy, high attitude flyer flitting around than a smooth, high speed flyer so you just have to fly it like that and appreciate the fun she can provide rather than fly her in a way she can't perform.....  I've seen a lot of posts that move the CG from 4 1/4 up to 3 3/4 and further, again depending on your build.  Play with that and maybe you'll have a fun ship.  I thought I had some good tips on mine and was going to give 'er another go this past weekend, but the clunk came off my home-made tank and I didn't have time to open it up and fix it.  Grrrr.....    Don't give up on her yet!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Villa

Hi Darrell Bunch
That type of plane is a very bad example of what a SPAD plane can be. Because it does not have what I will call a normal airfoil wing, it flies very poorly when compared to more conventional planes, particularly when the engine stops. I have never flown one so I am not qualified to be commenting on this; I have built and flown a similar design, the SPA3DT. I hate to see a novice fly those types of planes because they are not easy to fly and may give a bad experience and cause someone to give up on SPADS. The Gnat is very easy to build, but has the problems you described when in the hands of an inexperienced pilot. Be ready to read completely conflicting advice from others. You decide.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Maybe too little too late, but I've flown a Gnat. They are a blast - especially for SSC combat - when properly set up. Where did you have your CG? What kind of throws? I'm surprised yours wouldn't loop - mine would loop tight enough to cut it's own streamer string. Not even the streamer itself - but the short 10' piece of string connecting it to the streamer.

Have a look at this one if you want to see how they can fly when properly set up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMlXO2Wm0f4

Yeah, you're not going to get much of a glide out of it. But, if it "came down like a rock" you should move your cg back.

Here's a little SSC with the GNat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oc2NLma2ug