Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
 A question on building wings >

A question on building wings

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

A question on building wings

Old 04-26-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question on building wings

I've never built a SPAD before, but I've been looking at the deboair on the spad to the bone web site. My question is, would there be a problem with pop riveting the wing together where the ailerons are sandwitched between the upper and lower wing panels ?-would that affect flight performance or aerodynamics of the airfoil?. My concern woud be, as a first time builder, with all that needs to be done as far as flashing off the coro- the bond could be ify with three layer's bonding simutainiously- any thoughts would be appreceated.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 PM

Default RE: A question on building wings

Hi jackpine
Pop rivets will work fine, about one every 4-6 inches. I have seen others do it and all seemed OK. On my SPAD Biplane, listed below, I used a waxed string used for sewing leather to tie everything together. After two years nothing negative has occurred due to the string. I use pop rivets for all of my brackets for connecting the control push/pull rods, rather than the suggested screws. Go for it.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 PM

Others have used pop rivets in the past with no problems, use washers on the other side that the rivet will go through.
If the CA works correctly the coro will rip before the glue joint will fail.
Try gluing some scrap pieces together first to get the technique down.

Others use goop to glue coro with good results, I can't take the fumes from it.

I use polyurethane glue and I woodpecker the surfaces to be glued, add a few drops of water to the poly glue mix it up with a bamboo skewer, and apply it with the skewer, wipe any over flowing foam for the first few minuets and let it cure for 2 or 3 hours, before going on to the next step.
It's not as fast as CA but it lets Me take My time to line up everything before I clamp it down.

With CA You have to line the joint up perfect the first time, if You move or slide the coro the CA joint will be weak.

+ if You need to make an internal repair, like a broken spar You can rip the poly glue joint apart and re glue it again after the repair is made.

Like I said Practice the gluing techniques on scrap coro first and You'll have success.
Jeff [8D]
Old 04-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Wow- some great sugestions and fast responce, thanks guy's' i will do some practice pieces first. I'm too used to balsa (and still use testors- just like the smell I guess). I hope to start this build in the next week or so- wating on some coro from our local sign guy-thanks!!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't do both of the aileron joints at the same time. Apply glue to the aileron stock, clamp it in place to the bottom skin and let it setup. Then glue the top skin to the aileron, clamp and let it sit up. Poly U method works for me when I have time. CA when I don't. CA needs ventilation that the poly glue doesn't.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Clean

Don't do both of the aileron joints at the same time. Apply glue to the aileron stock, clamp it in place to the bottom skin and let it setup. Then glue the top skin to the aileron, clamp and let it sit up. Poly U method works for me when I have time. CA when I don't. CA needs ventilation that the poly glue doesn't.
As it sometimes happens due to curcomstaces (Where's spell check when you need it ?) plans change- the debonair is out of the qustion for me right now because of the availability of coroplast- I could only scare up 4-2'x2' pieces, so I fit the plans to the material and am now in the middle of building "das plas stick" witch the plans for the wing on it call for the ailerons to be figured into the bottom section as one piece. I do believe though I'll use the poly u glue and the waxed string as suggested in the posts above the build is going well- I have the fuse built and all servo's and electronics instaled, I'm starting the wings today. Thank you all for the ideas and input- off to the shed now to see what I can conjre up.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:33 AM

Hi jackpine
Above I advised you on using pop rivets or string.
You mentioned not having a "spell checker". When I type something here on RCUniverse the spell checker is automatic. After a second or two a dotted red line appears below any suspected misspelled word. If you right click on the suspected word a dialog box will appear with suggested spellings. I'm using Firefox, not Internet Explorer as my Internet browser. I just checked Internet Explorer and it does not seem to have a spell checker. Maybe others will advice if something can be selected on IE to get the spell checker to work. I'm not a computer Guru. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:05 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: jackpine

ORIGINAL: Clean

As it sometimes happens due to curcomstaces (Where's spell check when you need it ?) plans change- the debonair is out of the qustion for me right now because of the availability of coroplast- I could only scare up 4-2'x2' pieces, so I fit the plans to the material and am now in the middle of building ''das plas stick'' witch the plans for the wing on it call for the ailerons to be figured into the bottom section as one piece. I do believe though I'll use the poly u glue and the waxed string as suggested in the posts above the build is going well- I have the fuse built and all servo's and electronics instaled, I'm starting the wings today. Thank you all for the ideas and input- off to the shed now to see what I can conjre up.
Ewer spiel chequer Kant ketch awl Miss Takes. (-: Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 AM

We have 2 spads with glued wings. A Debonar and Demon that are a good 3-4 years old. All we did is the flashing and gluing all is still well with the planes today.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi jackpine
Above I advised you on using pop rivets or string.
You mentioned not having a ''spell checker''. When I type something here on RCUniverse the spell checker is automatic. After a second or two a dotted red line appears below any suspected misspelled word. If you right click on the suspected word a dialog box will appear with suggested spellings. I'm using Firefox, not Internet Explorer as my Internet browser. I just checked Internet Explorer and it does not seem to have a spell checker. Maybe others will advice if something can be selected on IE to get the spell checker to work. I'm not a computer Guru. Hope this helps.
Wow, I thought I subscribed to this thread-I thought it died, i kinda stumbled on the reply's- ya, I use IE so I gotta rely on my high school smarts (35 years ago). Any hoo ,I got fustrated trying to build out of coro and went to foam ( I haven't made it to purest status yet, just wanted to get in the air)
Thank to all for the reply's and advise,I still plan on wings of coroplast on my next spad, I just need to work my way up to it.