Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Newbie Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 04:41 AM
johnhardy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Info Needed

I like the official site and all but Im about to build my first airframe and have found the tips pages helpful but cannot find any tips on scorring and bending coro. Am I blind and just cannot see?
Can anyone direct me to information on this ? Or, is this too trivial ?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-24-2003, 04:46 AM
GlowFly

I use a philips screw driver ,press it and run it down the channel. Do this on 3-5 channels and it bends easily.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It's trivial. Very trivial.

Like everything else in SPAD, you use what ya got. Whatever you can use to put a crease in the coroplast will work fine. Nobody's going to call the SPAD Police on you because you used the wrong tool or got it a little crooked.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:31 PM
johnhardy1

What about when scorring against the flutes ? How are you all getting a straight line and is there anything else I should look for ?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-24-2003, 01:42 PM
FantzyPantz

Scoring againsts the flutes, use a straight edge as a guide and a pizza roller to make the crease.

V-

There are 2 rules for success in life, 1- Never tell anyone everything you know.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:42 PM
nukes

scoring against the grain.

I like to take a board and use clamps to clamp it to a hard surface. Then you just score it like you would with a screw driver "with the grain" flutes. You do it down the board as a staight edge. After scoring it then you can bend it while one the same board. Be careful if using 2 mil, it can crease the flutes when bending. To stop this from happening you van use another board on the bottom of the bend to bend the whole thing up at once. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:06 PM
rlt55

too trivial ?
Nope. This question is posted a lot. One reply I've seen a few times is to cut out strip or two of the coro on the inside of the fold.
Use the same cut used to make rudder hinges etc.
Some say it makes the wing LE weak but others don't think so.?.
Also read about using a heat gun to help get deep score.

Saw one post about a delta wing where the builder used a router to cut the coro (about 2mm down) at an angle on one side, so he could fold it like a paper airplane. He had it on a big table and bolted down a section of U-channel near the cut-line to use as a router guide.

Some QHOR and SPA3D guys think that making the LE perfect is a waste of time, since it makes little difference in the flying!
(Mine come out messy and they still fly fine)
Old 07-25-2003, 02:15 AM
johnhardy1

Hey thanks everyone. Ordering from Harbor tomorrow. Still, Im glad I asked this question as I'd rather not mess up any more coro than I have to during the learning curve. If anyone thinks of any more tips theyd like to add Id appreciate that as well.

Thanks for the help,
John
Old 07-25-2003, 03:14 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Best tip... OPEN YOUR MIND!!! Once you start spadding, you will find that you keep having questions pop up in your head, about whether you can do this differently, or can I change that, and that would be a good modification.... and so on. The learning curve never stops, so have fun with it