Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SNS trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 06:26 PM
kev_79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SNS trim

Just built the Saturday night special with a buddy of mine, and they fly great. I was wondering if anyone had any wing modifications that let you get characteristics that are more like a symetrical wing. It's got a flatbottom wing, and it's kinda like flying a 40 sized trainer with a 91fx. Flatbottom wing and low weight make it climb like crazy at WOT and if you trim it for level flight, it will dive on final apporoach.

We wanna keep the design simple so we don't have to make a wing saddle, but I just want to pick some of you all's brains. In most cases on something fairly minor, I'd just say "forget it", but you all are so damn creative, I'm curious to see any fixes.

BTW, I've known about spads for about a week. We started the building process 2 days ago, and I have already built 2, crashed 4 times. I still have one that flys, and have spent less than 30 bucks on materials. You've gotta love that!

I'm completely hooked

Kevin
Old 07-24-2003, 08:09 PM
ChrisSpad

Default SNS trim

2 things. One, it may be a tad bit tail heavy.

Two, reflex the trailing edge of the ailerons up a little at a time, until the climbing goes away.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:43 PM
kev_79

Default SNS trim

Hey thanks for the advice chris. Will this make it create less lift sot that it will use the same trim at different speeds.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Old 07-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Woodsy

Default SNS trim

You can also add a little down thrust, how do i know.. i tried it.

i have a 60" span polyhedral SPAD old timer and its always climbed like crazy under power, i tried shiming the wing but that seemed to make it pitch sensative so i trimed it at half throttle and flew around the problem, the other week i had to get at the tank so when i put the engine mount back i added down thrust...its a deferant plane, it still climbs at full throttle (as it should) butnow its nice and gentel