Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
 the spanard (push-pull canard idea) >

the spanard (push-pull canard idea)

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

the spanard (push-pull canard idea)

Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the spanard (push-pull canard idea)

hi guys i had an idea that i wanted to try but wanted some feed back first. a buddy of mine just gave my his combat plane that i built him back because he was moving. he gave it back to me with an old os 25 engine still attached. so i had a though i have always wanted to build a canard and thought it would be fun to do a push-pull canard. so i went searching threw my stock of spare engines and found my old os max 20 w/ strap on muffler, and thought that this could be a good combo. my plan is to put the 20 on the tail in the pusher config and the 25 on the nose. how does that sound, also i am thinking of re using the wing from the combat or build a new one have not decided yet. the plane will have tricycle landing gear and the canard will either be above the fuse on a platform or below mounted flush with the bottom of the plane. the fuse will be made of two lengths of 3/4 inch "U" channel running parallel to each other for added rigidity

here is a mock up of the plane. what do you think?

i know the canard will need to be bigger but this is just a mock up
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59519.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1476207  
Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 AM

Default RE: the spanard (push-pull canard idea)

Hi rotccapt
Sounds like a great idea. I have been flying a SPAD pusher Canard for about 6 years. I suggest mounting the canard wing low to reduce canard wing turbulence reaching the main wing. I have had that problem with my two SPAD canards. Do I see rudders on your Canard? Mine is the only Pusher Canard I have ever seen that can do a Knife edge, because mine has always used two wing tip mounted rudders. Keep up the good work and continue with your reports and photos.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Default RE: the spanard (push-pull canard idea)

If you don't already have it here is a link for a canard center of gravity calculator.

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_canard.htm