Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Civil Air Patrol builds SPAD

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Civil Air Patrol builds SPAD

Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Villa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civil Air Patrol builds SPAD

A few months ago we invited the local Civil Air Patrol, a group of young people interested in full scale flying, to come to our field and look at another type of flying. They saw my SPADS and other models and asked many questions. About a month ago they asked for someone to help them build a SPAD plane. Two of us volunteered and built the Twin Tail SPAD plane shown below under the subject of "Mounting Servos Inside Wing". One of our members donated a complete radio set; another member donated a 30 OS LA engine w/prop and all the Coroplast; I donated the rest of the material. Yesterday we invited the the whole Civil Air Patrol club to our field. We ran all the students thru our three RealFligh simulators and then took everyone up on our two club trainer planes with trainer cords, under the AMA Intro-Pilot program. I also demonstrated the Twin Tail SPAD. More flights will be needed on our club trainers before any of them try the Twin Tail SPAD. This plane is ideal as a second plane because it is tough as nails. The landing gear is the full torsional type and is the strongest I have ever designed. I developed it for my SPAD Flying Lawnmower.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Villa

Default RE: Civil Air Patrol builds SPAD

Here are two photos of the Civil Air Patrol Twin Tail Plane. The plane is the same size of my other Twin Tail, but the engine is an OS LA30. It drives a 10X6 prop well. My other Twin Tail used an OS46AX engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68405.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1493455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68881.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1493456  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Team_Monkey

Nice job working with the kids villa. The local club at least does a similar flight day with the scouts and it's always a hit.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Villa

Thanks for your comments, Team_Monkey. A few years ago our club participated in a program sponsored by our AMA, to promote the hobby, and we ended up with 2-3 free trainer planes and 2-3 free Real Flight Simulators. A while back we totaled one of the balsa trainer planes and I believe we were given a free replacement.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:24 PM
vorona.russia

3 mm coroplast, .52 glow eng., summer 2008