RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/)
-   -   question for the experienced SPAD builders/ flyers.....opinions wanted/needed (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/11627769-question-experienced-spad-builders-flyers-opinions-wanted-needed.html)

ron ward 03-20-2016 05:20 AM

question for the experienced SPAD builders/ flyers.....opinions wanted/needed

I just finished building a Spadet from the STTB site, to reintroduce myself to flying r/c, after a 40 or so year absence. in building the wing, I didn't get it as "flat bottomed" as I maybe should have. I built the wing with the one-piece method of folding the leading edge over and gluing the wing together at the trailing edge, "BUHOR style". although the wing turned out fine, the airfoil is now more or less "semi-symmetrical" rather than truly "flat bottomed", because I didn't use the 2x4 fixture to hold the leading edge down flat to the building surface when folding it. my question is how much will this semi symmetrical wing affect it's flying characteristics considering the plane is a "trainer plane" ?.. I see that most trainers have true, flat bottomed wings I understand the difference in lift between the two airfoils, i'm just wondering if the reduction of lift from a semi-symmetrical airfoil will appreciably detract from a trainer plane's fly-ability as far as float, or stall speed for landing control and such. ?. essentially, I wanted to build a "trainer" for specifically this "relearning to land" issue.
thanks in advance, for all your replies and insights !.

jlguru 03-20-2016 06:36 AM

Nearly every SPAD wing I've ever built fits your description, and the planes all have flown well. I suggest you don't worry about it and forge on.

Live long, and prosper
Jerry

ron ward 03-20-2016 08:45 AM

AH,..... that's good to hear. I kind figured it wouldn't matter all that much, I just wanted hear some opinions rom experienced guys about the fact that they don't turn out truly "flat bottomed", like the balsa trainer wings are built. this is my first SPAD, but certainly not my first build,..... I can't remember ever buying a plane that was already built. you know as well as I do, the ARF's and RTF's weren't around 40 years ago,.... if you wanted to fly r/c,,.... you had to build a plane,,..there was no other choice. just more used to airfoils coming out specifically like the ribs are shaped.
where's Winnemucca, my father in law and mother in law lived in North Vegas for 12 years and recently sold their home and moved back here to live with my wife and I because thier age......both in their 90's, now.

jlguru 03-20-2016 03:05 PM

Winnemucca is about 180 miles northeast of Reno on Interstate 80. It's an agricultural and mining community and gas stop in the middle of the Great Basin desert. We get over 300 days of sunshine per year and I fly 6-7 days per week.

In my experience, S.P.A.D. airplanes are not particularly sensitive to the details. None of mine are particularly straight, square, or true. But they fly well and are way more reliable than my balsa kits, balsa arfs, and scratch built foamies. The key for me is to have well tuned and reliable motors (I like OS 46ax) and don't skimp on the power.

Live long and prosper
Jerry

draftman1 03-20-2016 03:56 PM

Sounds like you built it right, you would be surprised how well it will fly, go and have fun!!!

Tom Nied 03-24-2016 07:26 PM

I built a Debonair, wing came out the same way. Built it with no dihedral, flew great.