RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/)
-   -   New SPAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/6280224-new-spad.html)

CATA 08-24-2007 07:04 AM

New SPAD

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my new Carlspad. I wanted to build a sport / pattern type plane. The wing is actually developed from the wing on my Edge 540.

Wing span = 60"
Wing Root = 12"
Wing Tip = 10"
MAC = 11.03
Area = 660 sq. in
Wing Aspect = 5.45
CG = 4.5
Weight 6.25 lbs
Wing Loading = 20 oz/ft
Wing thickness max 2" tapers to 1" at tip
Wing spar one piece popular with 2 degrees of dihederal

Fuse length = 55"
Horizontial stab = 22"
Vertical stab 12 base 7 at tip including rudder

The plane is powered with a .61 ASP
The plane flies very well, it does loops, spins, knife edge, axial rolls
Plane has very mild stall, nose drops slightly, with no wing tip stall
Landing speed can be slow, likes a little power on
I have 50 + flights on this plane with no problems or failures :D

DLSmith2 08-24-2007 06:51 PM

RE: New SPAD

What a beauty! Great job on the plane and graphics!

Are you propped for speed or torque?

Blue skies,

DL

CATA 08-24-2007 07:41 PM

DL
thanks

I have a 12x6 propon the ASP 61 it seems to be a good comprimise of power and speed at least for me.

CA

CATA 08-24-2007 07:42 PM

DL
thanks

I have a 12x6 prop on the ASP 61 it seems to be a good comprimise of power and speed at least for me.

CA

MrGreenSpeed 08-24-2007 10:22 PM

Fantastic looking Spad, Charles
Thanks for sharing:D
Jeff[8D]

TruBlu02 08-27-2007 07:28 AM

Very cool plane! I love the landing gear as well.

YSN 09-19-2007 03:24 PM

This fery nice but look like balsa plan, i saw from rudder:D

mikenlapaz 09-22-2007 03:56 AM

very impressive - nice work Just crate it up and send that ole plane on South and you can start on another one!!!:D

Smooth Spanky 09-22-2007 07:19 AM

Cata:
Are you SURE that's a SPAD? None of my stuff ever looks even close to being that nice.

Very well done...thanks for posting the pics.

Smooth

YSN 09-22-2007 09:20 AM

I Thing It's Not pure SPAD

OzMo 09-22-2007 04:01 PM

SPAD RULE #1 Use what you got!! pure enough:D:D

Balsa = organic coroplast:)

MrGreenSpeed 09-22-2007 07:53 PM

I Thing It's Not pure SPAD
The idea that drives Spad is use what You have to get in the air. :D
Look close, it's more Spad than You think[8D]
This one was built by ChrisSpad and it's pure Spad.
http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/79/60/Mr...anes-/2/f3.jpg

Here is a link to the build pics.
http://www.chrisspad.com/planes/main...p/gallery.html
Jeff

OzMo 09-22-2007 10:13 PM

It looks CAVERNOUS..... Carlspad caverns???? I know that was really bad[sm=red_smile.gif]

CATA 10-02-2007 06:09 AM

The Carlspad is made completly from coroplast, except I used balsa for the ailerons to save weight and add stiffness. The frame is made from 1x 1/4 popular attached to the firewall running back to the stat of the wing saddle. I used two pink foam formers for the back of the fuse. I made the turtle deck from foam covered with sign vinyl.

CATA

MrEdge 10-05-2007 02:26 AM

I know this is prolly beat to hell in other threads but, where are you all getting the American PVC from..What kind of stores sell it?

WILDCRASHWILLY 10-05-2007 02:53 PM

I get it at an Ace Hardware store here in Ky. I've also bought it at Home depot.

kbear 10-06-2007 01:28 AM

I don't even use it anymore. I fold up a square tube of 4mm coro about the same size and use that. It's lighter and stronger and if you can find coro for the wing then you can find it for the fuse. CATA, that's a sweet looking plane you got there.

CATA 10-09-2007 06:22 AM

Thanks for the nice comments. I too do not use PVC pipe, I just fold the coroplast into 4 sided tube to start the fuse. I use the poplar wood for extra strength from the firewall to wing saddle and to attach the landing gear block. I put in a plywood former just before the wing saddle, this former is open in the centre to allow the fuel tank to slide in and out. I tried making a flap door for the fuel tank in another plane but cutting the coroplast weakens the coroplast tube fuse. The next version of the Carlspad will have a taller fuse to make it more Pattern-Like and hopefully a cowl.
cata

MrGreenSpeed 10-09-2007 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: CATA

Thanks for the nice comments. I too do not use PVC pipe, I just fold the coroplast into 4 sided tube to start the fuse. I use the poplar wood for extra strength from the firewall to wing saddle and to attach the landing gear block. I put in a plywood former just before the wing saddle, this former is open in the centre to allow the fuel tank to slide in and out. I tried making a flap door for the fuel tank in another plane but cutting the coroplast weakens the coroplast tube fuse. The next version of the Carlspad will have a taller fuse to make it more Pattern-Like and hopefully a cowl.
cata
Maybe You could post a few build pics of Your more pattern like project.
I have bin itching to build a 60 size pattern Spad and winter lay off is getting close, so It's almost building time.
I have a few 60 size pattern engines that need a coro home.
Jeff

DLSmith2 10-09-2007 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: MrGreenSpeed
Jeff
Now this is REALLY a coincidence; I have some coro that needs a 60 sized engine!!! :D:D:D:D

(Is there really a different type engine specifically for pattern flying?)

kbear 10-10-2007 01:10 AM

http://f10.putfile.com/thumb/7/21017590477.jpg
Didn't know it when I bought it, but this one is for pattern. Its a 1980's OS engine.

MrGreenSpeed 10-10-2007 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: DLSmith2

ORIGINAL: MrGreenSpeed
Jeff
Now this is REALLY a coincidence; I have some coro that needs a 60 sized engine!!! :D:D:D:D

(Is there really a different type engine specifically for pattern flying?)
Pattern engines usually have a fuel pump, rear exhaust, a tuned pipe, and turn large props at less rpm then sport engines.
Sport 14,000 rpm
Pattern 10,000 rpm
Kbear that looks like an OS-FSR they are a power house and are still very popular.
Jeff

kbear 10-11-2007 03:08 AM

It is indeed. Good Eye. I bought it NIB from a guy at the field for $80. It's been haulin around My 8.5 puond Wild Hare 60 and is now mounted on MKII of the same plane. It's a great engine.