RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/)
-   -   How fast is the stock HOR with a .28 or .32? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/s-p-d-aircraft-coroplast-design-178/831793-how-fast-stock-hor-28-32-a.html)

rsieminski 06-04-2003 04:19 AM

How fast is the stock HOR with a .28 or .32?

I'm looking for something simple to fill a 13 y/o's need for speed (he's crashed a few more extensive builds). I thought this might be a good option. Flutter? Mods? What AUW can I expect? Doesn't the muffler get all scraped up on landing?
Thanks,
--Rick

Matt Kirsch 06-04-2003 03:11 PM

I think the wing will be okay, but the tail might need some reinforcement.... IMHO, the plane would be more "appropriately" powered with a .25-.28.

Unless your landing area is a pile of large jagged rocks, the muffler won't get scratched up. We land them in the grass all the time.

Put landing gear on it like a BUHOR, and you'll have something pretty neat. The muffler won't get scratched up, either.

rsieminski 06-06-2003 03:01 AM

Std SPAD HOR w/32sx = MAJOR FLUTTER! I ditched the v tail(flutter), and the "L" Al stock for some "U" channel and a conventional tail. The sweetest, smoothest plane ever. It flys and land slower than a trainer. We clocked it at 88mph straight and level, and the fastest was 93 in a small dive. If it were a little cleaner, it'd prob be closer to 100mph.

Has anyone ever put a .46 on one?

rsieminski 06-06-2003 09:04 PM

Has anyone had any experience with this one and a .46?

I've got reflex in the ailerons, it flies straight and level at any speed, but inverted it requires a fair amt of down elevator. Any way to lessen the amt of down required?

How can I getrolls a little more axial? Differential?

Thanks,
--Rick

FrankC29 06-06-2003 09:14 PM

If you want an aluminum Spad, with no worries about fuse flex (which might contribute to some flutter problems), try 3/4" X 1/16" box aluminum, this stuff gets overlooked because it appears heavy. It's only 3.3 oz. per foot, about an ounce more per foot than C-Channel, but unlike C-channel it has no flex. None. It can be used as a direct replacement for PVC and other alum. fuses. For .25 engines on up, this is what I'm using from now on.

SeacretsOceanCity 06-07-2003 10:11 AM

Frank, when you used the U channel did you go with the 1/8 thickness. I have never had a problem with flex with 1/8
I see some guys using 1/16,flex should be expected with this with any length.

rsieminski 06-12-2003 12:56 AM

The HOR with a Mag .40 was clocked today at 116mph. Tomorrow we'll try the Mag .46 and see.