Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Scale Racing
Reload this Page >

2015 S.A.M. Warbird Racing Series

Community
Search
Notices
Scale Racing Discuss all aspects of semi-scale pylon racing.

2015 S.A.M. Warbird Racing Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:36 AM
Trashman88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 S.A.M. Warbird Racing Series

The schedule is set for 2015 for the Sacramento Area Modelers Warbird Racing Series

S.A.M.’s 2015 Events Schedule:
· April 12[SUP]th[/SUP]…………….…. Big Kahuna Warbird Race (SAM Series)
· June 27[SUP]th[/SUP] & 28[SUP]th[/SUP]………...Fast Ash Warbird Race (SAM Series in Redding)
· August 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]………….…...Valley of Speed Warbird Race (SAM Series)
· September 26[SUP]th[/SUP] & 27[SUP]th[/SUP]….Trashman & YS Classic Warbird Race (SAM Series)

There is a couple of small changes in the rules. Please go to the website and download the rules. The website is also updated on the dates of the races.

We are proud to announce that Redding is part of the series!!!!! They will be using the same rules and format as we do at S.A.M.s.

Get your planes ready and lets have a great year of racing.

Online Registration

2015 SAM Racing Rules

SAM Home Page

Thanks and looking forward to seeing all of you in April,
JR "Trashman"
Old 01-02-2015, 01:34 PM
joedonkey

Booo I'm gonna miss the june race...
Old 01-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Todd Chandler

Im offering any of the SAM racers an

FZ115S for $315 SOLD

and

FZ115WS for $340 SOLD

both new in box and never mounted
(cash and local pick-up only)

Last edited by Todd Chandler; 01-08-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Racewizard
My Feedback: (2)

Can someone post the new rule changes for 2015, rathen then have to read the whole 2014 rules to compare to 2015?
Old 01-09-2015, 06:23 PM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Current 2015 rules:

Heat size, Matrixing, and number of rounds flown:
Once the registration and safety inspections have been completed, and the number of entries in each class isknown, maximum heat sizes will be set for each class, at the CD’s discretion, between 3 – 4 maximumairplanes per heat. The maximum heat size decided before racing begins, and may not be changed thereafter.Matrixing, (determining which contestants will fly against each other in each heat), will be determinedrandomly except for the final heat of the event. The final heat will be determined by point position from thepreceding heats, i.e. the 4 highest point positions will race against each other then the next 4, etc. The fourhighest point positions will be the final heat in each class. Racing will consist of as many rounds of heats ineach class, as time will permit, over the duration of the event. Points in all rounds will be totaled to determinethe winners in each class. In event of a tie, the tie will be broken by the following criteria in this order:
1. Black Flag for safety or rules violation (except for jumped BF start which is considered DNS)
2. DNS (Did Not Start)
3. DNF (Did Not Finish – which covers any plane that started a heat race but did not finish 10 laps)4. Break Out (if multiple pilots have break outs then lowest number advances)
5. Accumulated event time (times for B/O will not be included)

Under the 2013 Rules, the criteria were:

1. Did not start/Black Flag for jumping the start.
2. Did not finish/Black Flag for erratic flying or dead line violation/Mid-Air, etc.
3. Break out
4. Accumulated event time

The only other change I see is "cosmetic", in that the Wing Area/Engine Chart has the specific engine displacements stated as a range of values, rather than stating just the maximum displacement for each wing area, and making you "do the math." In other words, it is only a formatting difference . . . there are NOT any changes to allowable engines.

(Skids, JR, please correct me if there are any other changes.)

Hope this helps.

Ollie
Old 01-12-2015, 02:28 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Well... that sucks.. I don't see me being able to attend the Redding race, which pretty much knocks me out of any chance at the season points champ. It's not that I don't want to go to Redding, as I've heard nothing but good things about it, it's just my schedule and budget probably won't allow it. Going to have to see if I can plan that one out but right now it doesn't look good.

With the number of heats now being dictated by time available, is there going to be a pre-determined "cut-off" time so we all know what's going to happen? Will all classes race the same number of heats? Just seems like there is potential for controversy without a pre-determined number of heats.. Or maybe I'm not understanding it correctly?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:35 PM
JPGale

Is there any word from the Redding guys about hotels deals in there area. I am looking forward to racing this year.

James
Old 01-12-2015, 04:33 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Nick, if it helps you could ride up with me and Virginia. I'm sure that with enough notice you can find one of the other guys you could split room expenses with.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Iron Dog

Originally Posted by camss69
Well... that sucks.. I don't see me being able to attend the Redding race, which pretty much knocks me out of any chance at the season points champ. It's not that I don't want to go to Redding, as I've heard nothing but good things about it, it's just my schedule and budget probably won't allow it. Going to have to see if I can plan that one out but right now it doesn't look good.

With the number of heats now being dictated by time available, is there going to be a pre-determined "cut-off" time so we all know what's going to happen? Will all classes race the same number of heats? Just seems like there is potential for controversy without a pre-determined number of heats.. Or maybe I'm not understanding it correctly?
Nick,

Redding is a great time, so I hope you will find a way. The first year I went, I drove up with- and split a room with- 2 other pilots, so it wasn't that much for each person.

Regarding your question regarding the number of heats:

Our goal is always to be consistent. I cannot recall a time since I have been involved with warbird racing (19 years now) that we did not run 4 rounds, in each class, total, for a one-day event. (Consisting of 3 regular rounds, plus the "Mains.") Historically, the two-day events were the more difficult ones to run. We used to run 4 rounds each day, but found that was too much . . . too hard on the workers in the heat, and with (usually) more entries resulting in extra heats in each class, just too much racing to try to fit-in, each day without running so late it devastated the out-of-towners who then had to drive for hours just to get home, go to work the next day, etc. (Two-day events now consist of 3 regular rounds the first day, then 2 more rounds plus the "Mains" on the second.) That phrase (". . . as time will permit . . . ") is in there more as a way to ensure that we can have a fair cut-off to the event and announce a winner in the case that extreme weather, or some other highly unpredictable factor were to impede continuing the event, as intended. Because running fewer rounds would likely be due to an unforeseen event, it is unlikely that we would know well in-advance to tell everyone early on. If we new the weather was uncertain, we (the CDs) would prepare racers to the best of our ability. I think we have done a very good job in trying to anticipate and mitigate other, more predictable, factors that could impact the finish time of our events. For example: In recent years, as our participation has continued to grow, we have put limits on registration - both in total numbers, and by having a firm registration deadline - so we can start races on-time, have a manageable number of heats per day, etc., and better ensure there are no surprises for our participants. (See pilots, there really is a reason for the "hard" registration deadline some CDs have had to call in the past. No one is trying to be a jerk about it - just the opposite, CDs are doing our best to respect EVERYONE else's needs and expectations and run a successful event.)

Timing system, starting clock, scoring computer, and printers have all gone kaput; yet we have always been resourceful enough to come up with an alternative solution to make it through. We have been challenged and even delayed a number of times by weather, but always seem to be okay in the end. We just realize that it is only a matter of time until our luck runs out - such as a couple years ago when the Reno National Championship Air Races had to cancel the final Sunday Unlimited Gold Heat due to extremely high winds, and last year finished mere minutes before the winds changed direction and extremely dense smoke from the King Fire enveloped the area. We had to put something in the rules to cover similar potential scenarios. I wouldn't be overly concerned by the phrase.

Does this clarify the intent, and the reasoning behind it, well enough?

Ollie
Old 01-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Iron Dog

Originally Posted by JPGale
Is there any word from the Redding guys about hotels deals in there area. I am looking forward to racing this year.

James
James,

I haven't heard anything yet, but it is pretty early, yet. If you have Loren's number, I'd give him a call. I don't remember the name of the hotel I stayed at the first year (wasn't able to attend the second year), and took a trailer up last year. But most of the other Sacramento guys stayed in a hotel last year, I'm sure one of them will chime-in with some info for you, and at least give you a general idea of what to expect . . .
Old 01-13-2015, 12:09 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Dog
Nick,

Redding is a great time, so I hope you will find a way. The first year I went, I drove up with- and split a room with- 2 other pilots, so it wasn't that much for each person.

Regarding your question regarding the number of heats:

Our goal is always to be consistent. I cannot recall a time since I have been involved with warbird racing (19 years now) that we did not run 4 rounds, in each class, total, for a one-day event. (Consisting of 3 regular rounds, plus the "Mains.") Historically, the two-day events were the more difficult ones to run. We used to run 4 rounds each day, but found that was too much . . . too hard on the workers in the heat, and with (usually) more entries resulting in extra heats in each class, just too much racing to try to fit-in, each day without running so late it devastated the out-of-towners who then had to drive for hours just to get home, go to work the next day, etc. (Two-day events now consist of 3 regular rounds the first day, then 2 more rounds plus the "Mains" on the second.) That phrase (". . . as time will permit . . . ") is in there more as a way to ensure that we can have a fair cut-off to the event and announce a winner in the case that extreme weather, or some other highly unpredictable factor were to impede continuing the event, as intended. Because running fewer rounds would likely be due to an unforeseen event, it is unlikely that we would know well in-advance to tell everyone early on. If we new the weather was uncertain, we (the CDs) would prepare racers to the best of our ability. I think we have done a very good job in trying to anticipate and mitigate other, more predictable, factors that could impact the finish time of our events. For example: In recent years, as our participation has continued to grow, we have put limits on registration - both in total numbers, and by having a firm registration deadline - so we can start races on-time, have a manageable number of heats per day, etc., and better ensure there are no surprises for our participants. (See pilots, there really is a reason for the "hard" registration deadline some CDs have had to call in the past. No one is trying to be a jerk about it - just the opposite, CDs are doing our best to respect EVERYONE else's needs and expectations and run a successful event.)

Timing system, starting clock, scoring computer, and printers have all gone kaput; yet we have always been resourceful enough to come up with an alternative solution to make it through. We have been challenged and even delayed a number of times by weather, but always seem to be okay in the end. We just realize that it is only a matter of time until our luck runs out - such as a couple years ago when the Reno National Championship Air Races had to cancel the final Sunday Unlimited Gold Heat due to extremely high winds, and last year finished mere minutes before the winds changed direction and extremely dense smoke from the King Fire enveloped the area. We had to put something in the rules to cover similar potential scenarios. I wouldn't be overly concerned by the phrase.

Does this clarify the intent, and the reasoning behind it, well enough?

Ollie
Ahh I see and that makes sense, I was thinking by time limiting we were saying due to more or less entries but it's more of a weather thing since we are capping entries.

Sorry, in my initial post I didn't mean it sucks to be including Redding. In fact I think including Redding is a great idea and to have the races grow to include more than one venue is awesome. I thought only having 3 races last year was kind of a bummer so I'm glad to see the it go back to 4 races this year.

What I meant sucks is for me personally getting away for an entire weekend like this is extremely difficult... Speed thanks for the offer I really appreciate it, I will see how it looks when it gets closer..
Old 01-13-2015, 04:00 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe next year you guys could add Utah to the schedule
;O

wishin' I was closer
Old 01-13-2015, 04:28 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by MFLOOD3800
Maybe next year you guys could add Utah to the schedule
;O

wishin' I was closer
I went to Utah once.......bad experience.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Iron Dog

Originally Posted by camss69
Ahh I see and that makes sense . . .

Sorry, in my initial post I didn't mean it sucks to be including Redding. In fact I think including Redding is a great idea and to have the races grow to include more than one venue is awesome. I thought only having 3 races last year was kind of a bummer so I'm glad to see the it go back to 4 races this year.
Glad I could help clarify, Nick.

Also, I appreciate the feedback that you too see some of the benefits of expanding the race series to include more than one venue.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:01 AM
joedonkey

Hey all, I want to express that this year and from here on out I'm no longer a caller... I want to focus on what could or would make me better to the R/C industry as a whole... which means I need to focus on being an announcer ... I'll never get to Reno as a caller...but as an announcer I have an outside chance... I thank the competition in the Silver class for the past 3 year's 9th fun... but if I want to ( need to ) grow, I need to challenge my ability. .. and I'm only getting better.... thank you Kimo for all we learned. .. together we became champs... but my announcing is growing and I thank all of you that have helped me advance. .. skids, seigo, Kimo, biff and the immortal V-man... No one would have ever thought I would be announcing GIANTS IN THE DESERT. .. but look I AM....So I need to focus. .. and to focus means no destractions.. and no destractions means to focus on just announcing... I have a personality bigger then most and I give all every time I hold a mic... you that know me know I give all... even at an economic cost to myself. .. I do it for the love... for the excitement... for you pilot's. ..and I ain't quitting any time soon!!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Trashman88

The SAM website has all the electronic preregistration's ready to go including the Warbird Championship Race in Fresno. We have all the flyers and printable registration ready also except for one race and that will be coming in soon.

http://www.sacramento-rc-flyers.org/entryforms.html

Looking forward to seeing you all soon as the Big Kahuna race is coming up on April 12th.

Don't miss out and get preregistered!!!

JR
Old 03-17-2015, 10:24 PM
Trashman88

Joe,
I can say personally that I am always looking forward to having you announce at my races and proud that you are our local. It is great to see you grow (not talking in height) through out the years and looking forward to the future in what you can bring to the races. Don't forget I need your autograph before you get to big and you look down on us little people (not talking in height either).
JR

Originally Posted by joedonkey
Hey all, I want to express that this year and from here on out I'm no longer a caller... I want to focus on what could or would make me better to the R/C industry as a whole... which means I need to focus on being an announcer ... I'll never get to Reno as a caller...but as an announcer I have an outside chance... I thank the competition in the Silver class for the past 3 year's 9th fun... but if I want to ( need to ) grow, I need to challenge my ability. .. and I'm only getting better.... thank you Kimo for all we learned. .. together we became champs... but my announcing is growing and I thank all of you that have helped me advance. .. skids, seigo, Kimo, biff and the immortal V-man... No one would have ever thought I would be announcing GIANTS IN THE DESERT. .. but look I AM....So I need to focus. .. and to focus means no destractions.. and no destractions means to focus on just announcing... I have a personality bigger then most and I give all every time I hold a mic... you that know me know I give all... even at an economic cost to myself. .. I do it for the love... for the excitement... for you pilot's. ..and I ain't quitting any time soon!!!!
Old 04-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Trashman88

The results and standings are up on our website.

http://www.sacramento-rc-flyers.org/...standings.html
Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Jason V
My Feedback: (25)

looks like my plane is still the fastest maybe I can one up Dave next race
Old 04-20-2015, 07:26 PM
Racewizard

Hey guy's I have a question about racing a Lance Air, it did race at Reno. Would it be legal?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 PM
Iron Dog

Originally Posted by Racewizard
Hey guy's I have a question about racing a Lance Air, it did race at Reno. Would it be legal?
This is Babe, right?

Babe, I assume you are referring to the manufacturer Lancair. If so, while these planes have raced regularly at Reno in the Sport Class; they have not raced in the Unlimited Class. The Aircraft Requirements section of SAM's Scale Warbird Racing rules that directly applies to your question states that an aircraft must, ". . . have raced in the unlimited category of the Reno Air Races." (I too love the Lancairs!)

If you are referring to a different airplane that I am not recognizing off the top of my head, please clarify.

Thanks.

Ollie
Old 04-21-2015, 10:02 AM
Racewizard

Yeah it's me Ollie and thanks for reply, were talking the same aircraft. Thanks again
Old 04-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Iron Dog

Any time, Babe.

I wish I had better news for you.

I LOVE those planes, and have always wanted to fly a full-scale one; and build a small, sleek speed-demon. But unfortunately, they don't qualify for what we do; so until I can get ahead on warbird racers, it seems pointless for me, at the moment.

Hey, whatever happened to that beautiful peach or tan-colored Macchi with the "007" graphic you posted pics of a couple years ago? I've always hoped I'd see it first-hand?

Ollie
Old 04-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Racewizard

Red face

Hi Ollie
Well that particular plane was just to big for what I wanted it for but I did develop a smaller version of the same plane. I've flown it a couple times but the last time I knocked off the landing gear at the end of the runway, just doesn't want to slow down. So when I get a chance to fly GOLD with it you will be the first to see it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	239.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	2091016   Click image for larger version

Name:	241.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	2091017  
Old 04-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Iron Dog

Beautiful! Can't wait to see it. I wish you the best of luck with its upcoming flights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.