RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scale Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/)
-   -   2022 SAM Warbird Pylon Racing Schedule and Rule Change (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-racing-183/11695829-2022-sam-warbird-pylon-racing-schedule-rule-change.html)

Trashman88 12-23-2021 11:54 AM

2022 SAM Warbird Pylon Racing Schedule and Rule Change

2 Attachment(s)
We have made changes in the beginner class of the SAM Warbird Pylon Races starting on the Big Kahuna Memorial Warbird Race on April 2 & 3, 2022. The beginner class is called bronze class and it is a great way to get your feet wet in the pylon racing. In the past, bronze class was setup just like the advance classes (silver & gold). All planes had to be outlined scaled warbird plane and the warbird trainers in Bronze only. Now the rules have changed for the Bronze Class to give more people a chance to try out pylon racing. The rule change for bronze class is now we allow any airplane to fly. That is right any plane and that includes any gas, glow, or electric planes. If you have any plane that can do 10 laps in 2.5 minutes, then it will qualify for the bronze class. There are a few safety items that may have to do on some planes but don’t let that discourage you from trying it out. We will assist you on it so you can race it.

You can find the rules and information on racing at (also attached the rules):

Warbird Racing

On March 13, 2022, we will be holding a pylon workshop at the flying field. The workshop will start at 9:00 am and go to about noon. At this workshop, you would be assigned to an experience pylon racer. He will walk you through everything that is involved in the racing and answer any questions for you. He will also work with you on getting around the racecourse. Though out the workshop, we will do some practice race laps as if you were in an actual race to get a full feel of it. The main reason for this workshop is to get you familiar with the way the race runs and teach you to get around the course with confidence and knowledge. If you are interested in coming to the workshop, please contact me by text or call. If you forget to contact me, don’t worry, just show up between 9:00 am to 10:00 am on March 13, 2022.

Here is the dates of the 2022 SAM Warbird Pylon Racing

April 2 & 3, 2022 Big Kahuna Memorial Warbird Race

June 25 & 26, 2022 Turn and Burn Warbird Race

September 10 & 11, 2022 17th Annual Trashman & YS Warbird Race

Please visit the website to see the opening registration days for each race. Highly recommend to pre-register on the date or close to the date.

If you have any question, concerns, or comments. Please feel free to contact me at (916) 705-7778.

Thanks,

JR Schiager

Iron Dog 12-30-2021 01:03 PM

I am really loving the idea of the Pylon Racing Workshop on March 13th; to help any pilots that might be considering getting into this aspect of the hobby ease into it, gain confidence, and get them automatically set-up with an experienced mentor to better ensure success. Great thinking, JR!

And, with Ben McBride's Eliminator series of racing in SoCal and the Sacramento Area Modelers' (SAM) series both in-sync with encouraging "Run what you've brung," as a true beginners' class, this gives anyone interested in 2-pole racing both ease of entry and multiple options for racing and quickly gaining experience.

If you are considering this type of racing, I am certainly happy to answer any questions you might have.

- Ollie