Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

RC Aerodyne Seahawk build

Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

RC Aerodyne Seahawk build

Old 03-07-2010, 10:37 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RC Aerodyne Seahawk build

I got just got my RC Aerodyne seahawk a couple of days ago and though I share some bpics and thoughs of the build. Fist impressions , I LIKE IT! I'm painting it with a paint schema I got from a post on another site.
I'm painting the white and black and will have the lighting bolts, trim and lettering done in vinal. So far all I've had time to do is get the paint on and mount the wheels. 2 things I noticed so far. The blind nuts that hold the landing gear appear to be mounted backward. Normaly the portion of the nut that grabs the wood would be on the opposite side from the bolt head. The way these are being used I dont think its a big deal.
The gear install was straight forward. I did have a minor problem with the rear wheels not sitting straight, a gental twist got them straight and they appear to be staying that way.
I'm trying to post some pics but the sites isnt making it easy[:@]
Well 5 attepts and I only managed to get 1 pic posted. [:@] If you are interested in this build google the title and you will be able to find pics. Tio bad they cant get this site working right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61741.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1393184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60781.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1393185  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM
ea01bg

Default RE: RC Aerodyne Seahawk build

I got a few pics of the landing gear to upload.

Name:	Ay73359.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1393785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21077.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1393786  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:37 PM
ea01bg

Installed the tail formers tonight. The tail gets two formers the one at the top of the tail has a piece on the side to give you a place to anchor the tail case. I found the easyest way to install this was to 1st epoxy the two pices togather then once they are dry put the whole thing through the end of the tail and let it drop through. It took a little playing around but it makes it through the 45 deg. bend and then it can be pulled into place and epoxyed. The other former sits just before the 45 deg. bend and goes in easy.

Name:	Sq46818.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1393808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65281.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1393809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77116.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1393810  
Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
ea01bg

I made a lot of headway today. I also found the only thing in the kit so far that I wouldnt recommend. The tail pushrod. I had my misgivings about it when I looked it over before installation and am sure that I shouldnt have used it now. the cable is WAY to flexable. In addtion to that the threading on the end adapters doesnt fit align ball links so in addition to epoxying the adapter to cable the ball links need to be CAed or epoxyed to the adapters. This leaves no way to adjust the lenght other than the servo placment. I'm pretty well screwed at this point because I epoxyed the cable in place at the two rear formers. I would strongly recommend not using the supplyed cable and going with gold-n-rod. Hopfully I can find some way to make this work or a way to get it out without destroying the formers.[:@]

Very disappointing
[]
Old 03-09-2010, 09:48 PM
ea01bg

I also installed the tail drive cable. It is fantastic. The adapters go on easy and it makes doing the 45 deg tail a breeze. Its better than any of the Trex flex and shaft drives I've seen pieced togather.
I have some servo mounting hardware on the way so I'm done until it arrives.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Choppercopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ea01bg,

Could you post more pictures of your Seahawk, especially at the tail case and mechanic installation? I got a Jayhawk and am just starting building it at the moment. I kind of stuck
Old 03-12-2010, 07:28 PM
ea01bg

Its at a friends having the graphics and lettering put on until Monday. Do you have any specific questios I might be able to help with? Have you gotten a copy of the manual?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Choppercopter

I got the manual already. I just wondering how are you going to install the push rod, where are you mounting the tail servo? I mean if we used the linkages from our Trex 600 and epoxied the tail servo wooden case onto the fuselage, then we can't really adjust the center of the tail pitch and well as the servo's arm.

I also got the gold-n-rod from Towerhobbies but it is a bit smaller than the supplied push rod. Not sure if it strong enough to control the tail.
[img]file:///C:/Users/SORNED~1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/img][img]file:///C:/Users/SORNED~1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/img]
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFU97&P=7
[img]file:///C:/Users/SORNED~1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/img]
What size are you going to use?

I am thinking of using the linkage stoper from Hobbyking to enable the push rod to be adjusted while already installed in the servo arm and tail rotor.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8519

Name:	Jh16814.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1397255  
Old 03-14-2010, 05:16 PM
ea01bg

I have used the blue golden rod with the yellow plastic core on my Trex 600 UH-1 and the 600's ball links threaded right on to it. That left plenty of room for adjustment as long as you messure it well when installing it. As far as how it was installed I routed the pushrod through the two holes in the rear bulkheads and anchored it there and on the front tail former. then one more time on the wooden servo holder. That should be plenty.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Choppercopter

Do you reckon my push rod is cable of handling the tail? Where did you buy yours? Could give me the links? Ithink Imight have to get another one. Could you also post some pictures of your Seahawk building in progress. I will soon post the pictures of my Jayhawk as well.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
ea01bg

I picked mine up at the LHS. I've finished the tail and its all buttoned up. Not that pics of mine woould be that helpful , as I said I used the cable that came with the fuse. If I where to do it over I wouldnt use it.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 PM
ea01bg

I just picked up the Sea Hawk from vinal Sunday.

Name:	Yw68459.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1399069  
Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Choppercopter

Here are a few pictures of my Jayhawk.

Name:	Ge95980.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1402043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76508.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1402044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43274.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1402045  
Old 03-21-2010, 06:43 PM
ea01bg

Rather than adding a piece of wood to the strut you can open up the area where the gear enters the fuse on each side. this will allow the strut to move back and forth a little.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:52 PM
AMA Outlaw

I agree, open up the area where the vertical strut passes through the airframe (like the full-size version does) and then rotate the bracket that's C-clip'ed to the drag beam arm up 90 degrees and bolt it onto the step fairing. You might need a small shim, but it doesn't look like the gap is going to be all that much.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:33 PM
scalehelinut

They look great, I am thinking about getting one soon, I'll check back and see how they work out for you !!
Old 05-25-2010, 03:19 AM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

Sorry I couldn't resist. The trailing arm goes under the float bag area. Please, ask me how I know that.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 AM
ea01bg

I forgot to post a final flight pic for this build [X(]
I took the Sea Hawk out to the NEHC Scale Fun fly a few weeks ago. Heres a Pic.

Name:	Hf99761.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1456337  
Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Airman 01
My Feedback: (4)

I have a Aerodyne Seahawk, would like to put rivet inprints into scale body any Idea's on how to do it and what tool I'll need. Airman 01
Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Condor060

Hey Fellas, I fly for RC Aerodyne and provide their newestbuild and flight videos. My next project is the JayHawk. I really love the workmanship of their aircraft and the SeaHawk colors are very cool. Cliff told me that the new JayHawk will be 20% lighter. I intend to fly it with a 4 blade main and tail rotor. Hope you don't mind me peekin in and asking a few questions. Your ships look very nice.

I have not built a BlackHawk yet so I am excited to see your progress. I would love to see some flight videos if you have any. So far I have built and flown the Hughes 500D and the AStar 350, both on 600 electric setups with 8s batteries. I am getting 7.5 minute flight times with 3.8 volts left over running 2300 rotor speeds.

I am getting really jealous of the two ships you guys posted. Very nice builds guys. That new SeaHawkscheme isoutraheous.

Best of Luck
Fred
Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Airman 01

Hi Fred hep' Cliff is a pretty is a good guy .My Seahawk is flat gull gray. The detail was not what I expected But I'm going with a new clor schem any way. I built the Century 109 coastguard agusta and it turn out fantastic with clearcoat and all. But this one being flat and all is going to be a challange. but am up to it. I built military scale scince I was nine yrs old, so it going to be nice. You know scale is what you make it , am taking my time doing it right, that's why I asked about the rivits. I have a Q. for you how was your plans with your jayhawk kit because they missed mine , what He e-mail me sucked. But I beleive that in the end it will be a show case pc. Thanks for getting back with me , I hope we can stay in touch , good luck. Steve.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Condor060

Hey Steve, I don't have the new one yet. The container hasn't arrived but I would be more than happy to scan and PDF the new manual for you when I get it. They should be in any day now. AS far as riviting goes you might want to check out www.flitemetal.com and click on theRosie Riveter link. I use a lot of flight metal in my builds and his stuff is really great looking. I never used the rivets but I hear that look fantastic.

Cliff is like the easiest going guy on the planet. He really works hard on his RC aircraft and spends a lot of time bringing exclusive aricraft to the mix. I will be building his new Beechcraft Bonanza G58 next week for a new video. I will make sure I get you the new plans from my Jayhawkas soon as I get them in my hands. Should be the same build I would think.

Here is the video on the AStar 350. I used some flite metal on it and it and have some pics in the vid you can check out.

Lets keep in touch.

Fred

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz2tthjATi4[/youtube]
Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Airman 01

Hi Fred I had the same inpression with the landing gear the two forward struts seem to be turn backward. I had them(Aerodyne) send me a second set thinking they sent me two of the same but the new set was the same. I guess you work with what you have. I'll look for your pics. Steve
Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Condor060

Hey Steve, lay the gear down side by side and post a picture of what you have. Get a few shots from different angles.If its wrong I can make sure you get what you need. If its right I can give you some help with the install.

Fred
Old 08-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Airman 01

Fred ' I have never been sucessful in posting my pictures. please give me some pointers in getting them up. Thanks Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.