RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scale RC Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-rc-helicopters-398/)
-   -   Huey "HOG" UH-1B pictures (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scale-rc-helicopters-398/9346194-huey-%22hog%22-uh-1b-pictures.html)

helo 12-20-2009 02:55 PM

Huey "HOG" UH-1B pictures

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pitures of my Huey Hog Uh-1B heli.
I used the Uh-1B kit from RC Aerodyne, and modified the Miniguns, then added the 24Rd. Rocket Pods to each side.
Mike L.
South FL

tjmackey 12-23-2009 07:36 AM

RE: Huey

Hi Mike.
Nice machine and glad to see you have gone electric, after converting to electric I've not looked back so far:D. The only thing I noticed is you have a flybarless setup on a machine that actually is supposed to have a flybar(just weights instead of paddels) This has to be a first:)

helo 12-23-2009 07:48 AM

tjmackey, I know the haead is not to scale. I made it that way so I could use the Skookum360 electronic stabilization system.
Besides, the flybar I've seen on other setups was not scale in appearance. The bar was too long, and did not resemble the
original.

I built this heli as a "fun to fly" heli, not so much as a super scale ship.
Also the Skookum360 is fun to work with, works great.

Mike L.
(helo)

BarracudaHockey 12-23-2009 08:03 AM

Looks good Mike!

JB-Heli 01-04-2010 01:10 AM

Nice looking model you have there Mike. The Huey is my favorite scale model and am looking forward one day to building one. Great job!

Chip_Mull 01-12-2010 09:40 PM

Mike, that's a great looking Huey. I have avoided getting into RC Helicopters for decades but my resistance is failing. I have been into RC for over 40 years but fixed wing only. Where did you get the airframe, body and the like for your model? I am sorry for the basic questions but as I said, I am a novice when it comes to RC Helicopters.

I flew Hueys in Viet Nam and intend to build my ship someday.

As an aside, the rotor is turning the wrong way and the tail rotor is on the wrong side. Is there a more correct airframe available?

Thanks in advance.

Chip

helo 01-13-2010 10:32 AM

Chip, The model pictured is a kit from RC Aerodyne. It is intended for the T-Rex600e airframe,
that's why the tail is the way it is.
I built this heli as a fun flying heli, and not a super scale setup.
Depending on your scale building ability, you could make this heli more accurate to the
actual heli, or go to a more scale setup from Vario, Len Mount, to mention a few.

Mike L.
Davie, FL

BarracudaHockey 01-13-2010 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually the later models of the Huey had the tail rotor on the other side, they moved it so that the advancing blade was moving up and into the downwash to improve tail rotor authority. Though for the B model, you are correct, its on the wrong side.

Welcome to the dark side btw, we have cookies! :)

Chip_Mull 01-13-2010 10:16 PM

The civilian Bell 204, 205 and later had the tail rotor on the left side.

squawk7700 09-18-2010 10:30 PM

Helo,

I'm working on the same model I got from RCAerodyne only in the Trex 500 size. No instructions on how to mount the frame in the fuse. Can you tell me how you did it? I also have a Trex 450 in a Hughes 500E running 5 blades and I was thinking of rigging a similar floor plate in the UH-1. Still have a Trex 600 that I will more than likely mount in Cobra Gunship. Thanks.

helo 09-20-2010 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
squawk7700, the 600 size kit came with wood spacers for mounting the mechs.
The other size fuselages I would assume they should have the same method. If not I would make my own
to fit what you need, as a matter of fact that's what I did anyway, with my 600 size huey.
Mike Lidert
Davie,FL

squawk7700 09-20-2010 09:17 AM

Thanks for the info and the photo. I have already been working on designing a floor plate. As far as the spacers go all six are the same size in length which doesn't allow overlap on the ends for the mounting screws. So I need to make some additional spacers as well. Thanks again for the help.

SR7172 09-21-2010 05:41 AM

Very NICE job Helohttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

v6goose 03-12-2011 07:52 PM

Fantastic job!

wayne1966 01-29-2012 02:35 PM

Do you have pct's on your build?

helo 01-31-2012 07:54 AM

Hi wayne1966, here's alink to some pics of the Huey.
http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47132/

Mike L.
south FL

Sgt. Sant 06-22-2015 06:33 PM

love the Iroquois , good job! b-model a Iroquois too???

heli143 06-30-2015 08:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mike,
that is good looking Huey and nothing wrong with a sport scaler. As long as you're happy with it that's all that counts.
These ARF fuselages are spreading into the 1/6 and 1/4 scale helis now also, which is a good thing if you just don't have the time to spend building and just want to fly a nice scaler.

Chip, another option you have for a nice B model Huey is Unique Aircraft in Dalton, GA. He is currently building his website and also offers 1/7 scale Apache which is beautiful. the owner, Darrel Sprayberry is a scale master and one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Here are a couple of pics of my UA B model Huey which I'm finishing up.
It has Century predator mechanics converted to electric with the clutch which makes it a "poor man's turbine" with the spool up and spool down.