Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Sky Rocket cowls

Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 PM
wally3185
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Rocket cowls

I have a set of plans for a Fred Coulson Grumman Sky Rocket 68.5 WS. Looking for cowlings and retract idea's. Bob Holman has a short kit but no longer has any cowls. Any help would help. Thanks Eric
Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sky Rocket cowls

A good ten years ago, I did the Autocad parts for Bob's version of the Grumman SkyRocket twin, short nose version. I think at the time, he did not have any canopies, but there was a note on the plan as were to write to. I think on the old plan it called out the US Army version, instead of the Navy version.

Wm.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Avaiojet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sky Rocket cowls

Wally,

Is there a reason why you cannot make two from scratch?

You have the plans, you could make them out of wood. This was done long before glass came around. Or you can use fiberglass with the "lost foam method." Explained in detail on RCU.

Either way isn't difficult. Does take a bit of time though. I made this cowling, by lost foam, for my Gee Bee Z.

Also, it appears as though the cowlings are standard. You could find the nearest size fiberglass offering then resize the plans to fit them.

The gear? They are attached at one point and go up. Could you just turn the axle 90 degrees on any traditional gear? Possibly?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62195.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	1521553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32482.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1521554