Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Palmer 1/12 Scale B24D Liberator

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Palmer 1/12 Scale B24D Liberator

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 PM
xoamied
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Palmer 1/12 Scale B24D Liberator

I've been working on a Palmer B24 Liberator, on and off for the past year. So far, I've gotten the fuselage almost complete, ready to start on the stabilizer. I've come to the conclusion that I'll never do another Palmer plan. I am glad I didn't buy the laser cut parts. It's been a fun build so far, if you get past the multitude of drawing problems, including things drawn in wrong places and drawn at the wrong scale. All in all, just taking my time and thinking things through BEFORE I do them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60658.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1615133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66543.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1615134  
Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 AM
xoamied

Default RE: Palmer 1/12 Scale B24D Liberator

OK, I'm almost ready to cover the fuselage. The only problem is I'm struggling how to set up the steering. This is the first retractable plane I've built and I'm having problems figuring how to steer this beast. Palmer doesn't go into details, neither does Century Jet. Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 AM
longdan

Let the nose wheel caster and steer it with the 4 throttles and 2 rudders
Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 AM
xoamied

That's a thought, although I'm not sure what will happen landing an 18 lb plane like that. I just haven't been able to find anything that shows me how to steer a retractable nose.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 AM
xoamied

I figured it out. This is the 1st plane I've built with retracts, so it was a challenge to figure out how to steer the beast. Of course, Palmer's prints don't go into any details. All I have to say is, thank goodness for the internet, that I could search this all out. 20 years ago I would have quit before I started due to lack of details.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

A B-24 model is an ambitious project under the best of conditions and, as you are fully aware, the Palmer plans can hardly be considered as the "best of conditions"! Many years ago (before laser cutting) I was approached by Palmer to make kits for his plans and the B-24 plan was one of several he sent me for review. I took one look at the plans and politely declined! Seemed to me Palmer loved to design things using as many pieces as possible! Shortly thereafter the issue of drawing errors on his plans started to spread around the Internet as well. I've seen a few very nice airplanes built from Palmer plans but they certainly can be an exercise in frustration. Stick with it xoamied and you will be rewarded with a model that will certainly not be "run of the mill".
Old 09-05-2011, 03:39 PM
xoamied

Thanks, it's been a real challenge but it's been fun also. Even though it's not as far along as I'd like, and I don't get to work on it as often as I'd like, it actually relaxes me by making me think of what I need to do about the next step rather than work and everything going on around me. By considering my options I can plan my next step instead of making rash decisions.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:54 AM
xoamied

Well, the steering is almost finished. I found a link on one of the forums here that showed me how everything works. All the planes I've ever built had fixed landing gears, so building a model with retracts has been a real challenge (like the rest of this hasn't been). Anyway, here's another picture that shows the back end. I get about 7-9 hours a week to work on this, the rest of the time is running things through my mind and rehearsing what I'm going to do next.

Name:	Ge96726.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1660276  
Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 PM
xoamied

Yes, it's been awhile. I've been chugging away a little at a time. Most of the fuselage is covered so I can soon start on something else. I want to glass it, but not until I've finished the wings.

Name:	Mk25925.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1690499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99575.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1690500  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
xoamied

After few months off for the cold, I'm back at it. I started on the wings this week because they are the largest obstacle due to goofy drawings, that and I thought I'd get the major stuff out of the way, then do the rest.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
xoamied

I have almost finished framing both wings. The wings have been the major stumbling block with this whole build. After months of running options through my mind, I settled on what made most sense.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Old 07-04-2012, 11:25 PM
xoamied

I finally remembered how to post pictures, so you can see where I'm at.

Name:	Wu59637.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	1778764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29850.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1778765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98234.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1778766  
Old 10-18-2016, 05:31 PM
xoamied

I'm hoping someone see's this. It's been awhile since I posted anything. Still working on the plane, but getting close. I have a question, if someone can answer it, I need to cover the elevators and need advice as what to use. The plane is fiberglassed, almost ready to paint, but the elevators need covered. I know they make mylar that you can paint, other that that
What is available?

Name:	2012-11-18-10.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	2186371   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-17-2.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	3.92 MB
ID:	2186372  
Old 10-18-2016, 11:15 PM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by xoamied
I'm hoping someone see's this. It's been awhile since I posted anything. Still working on the plane, but getting close. I have a question, if someone can answer it, I need to cover the elevators and need advice as what to use. The plane is fiberglassed, almost ready to paint, but the elevators need covered. I know they make mylar that you can paint, other that that
What is available?
I prefer Sig Koverall for covering open structures xoamied. It does not have its now adhesive and so has to be used in conjunction with something like Sig's "Stix It" product. Simple paint the Stix It onto the perimeter of the framework to be covered and, once dry, iron on the Koverall and shrink it just like you would any other covering material. Once shrunk tight I have never had Koverall develop a sag or a wrinkle. It just stays tight forever. I'm sure there is lots of info available on the stuff if you do a Google search. There are many other options but this one is my preferred choice. The Liberator looks fantastic by the way, great job.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:16 AM
xoamied

I have a question. Now I don't know how many people see this, but I'm getting close to painting the model. At this point it is a fiberglassed plane with no detail. Before the graphics and such go on, has anyone tried to detail the skin? I know you can buy the metal covering and put that on, but I'm going to paint the plane and thought I could detail it out wit colored pencils? Also, there is the bomb bay doors, which I need to figure that out. Everything will get a coating of clear paint to seal it.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:46 PM
manks7477

A couple of thoughts from my side, and I am not the builder that you seem to - food for thought.

1) could you do the detail work with an airbrush?

2) Is it possible to print customer decals from a home PC?

This is a great project for sure. Am I reading the posts right that this is about year 7 of the project? Wow!

I have a
DC 3 that has been on the board for years, I think it has been 2-3 years since I have done anything with it, you are making me want to pull it back out and finish it. Glad I am not the only one with plane being built for years.

Other current projects:

Top Flite GE Corsair - just finished sheeting the fuse - just started in Feb - should fly this summer
Grumman Cougar Twin from plans - building the kit right now and hope to start building it soon
DC 3 - At the Wing mounting stage - been like that for 3 years. Need to get it moving again.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:02 PM
cpt nj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all really nice build. Have you thought of panel lines? I've used 1/16th tape ,primer and a lot of sanding. Something to think about before you paint.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:32 PM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by xoamied
I have a question. Now I don't know how many people see this, but I'm getting close to painting the model. At this point it is a fiberglassed plane with no detail. Before the graphics and such go on, has anyone tried to detail the skin? I know you can buy the metal covering and put that on, but I'm going to paint the plane and thought I could detail it out wit colored pencils? Also, there is the bomb bay doors, which I need to figure that out. Everything will get a coating of clear paint to seal it.
It is not uncommon to use an ink pen to apply panel lines, rivets, and other surface details. No reason that colored pencils would not work the same way. The only person that has to be satisfied with it is you! Having said that, if you would like some ideas on how to make the surface details more three dimensional I would be happy to give a quick description of how I go about it. You are doing a great job on a challenging subject, not made any easier because of the issues with the Palmer plans. Looking forward to seeing the finished airplane.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 PM
cpt nj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have never used panel lines your bomb bay doors would be a perfect place to give it a try. Even if the B B doors never open you'll be pleased with defined bay doors. I've used 1/16 tape on a 12th scale model with good results. Love that 24, can't wait for more.