Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

What paint alternatives?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:17 PM
prgonzalez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What paint alternatives?

I am going to do my first glassed/paint model. I am not trying to create a high quality scale model and not trying to do my master piece of paint job either.

So, I need feedback as for cheap paint alternatives, it is a spitfire; close to warbird colors are okay. My budget is tight.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have used.

Thanks
Pedro
Old 06-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Default RE: What paint alternatives?

Unfortunately "cheap" and "paint" don't often go well together and particularly when dealing with glow fuel residue. I have not found any 100% satisfactory "cheap" paint that is glow fuel resistant. Some guys are having good luck with Rustoleum spray paints which are supposedly fuel resistant up to 10-15% nitro. I used them on my refinished Thunder Tiger Sea Fury and I can tell you that the mettalic colors are definitely NOT fuel resistant. I also used standard red and blue opaque colors on the Sea Fury and they held up moderately better but still developed issues where the exhaust residue collected. I have also used Rustoleum Lemon Yellow on a sport airplane and it seemed to hold up just fine. So, it may just depend on the properties if each individual color. Quite honestly it is my opinion that you will save yourself much aggrevation by simply using a paint such as WarbirdColors or Klass Kote which is designed for glow powered models. It costs more but will save you in the long run. (Even if only in aggrevation!) Now if you're running gas or electric then your options are much wider.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Pedro, Is it gas or glow? Dan.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:58 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

This is my CL scale Great Planes Spitfire that was stripped and recovered.

the wings are covered with Sig Koverall, then has Lowes Valspar (spray can) primer, then latex house paint (exterior grade flat paint), then one coat a Nelson clear coat, decals and then two more coats of clear coat.

I asked Sherwin Williams to mix a quart of paint (of each color) to my color chip and it came out exactly the right color.

Latex house paint is relatively cheap and easy to use and clean up.

The nelson clear is no longer available so you would have to find a alternative.

If your model is electric then no worries, if glow powered the clear needs to be fuel proof.

The fuselage was fiberglassed and has the same primer and paint system.

Good luck!
Land softly,
Fred Cronenwett
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47887.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1621254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33945.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1621255  
Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 PM
prgonzalez

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

Pedro, Is it gas or glow? Dan.
This will be glow engine, inverted setup.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:55 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Sorry, I can't help. I do have a good system for gas though. Dan.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:37 PM
kenh3497

<xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

Years ago I use some of the automotive acrylic lacquers. While not 100% fuel proof, I have a Caudren 1/4 midget that still looks pretty good. Even in the engine compartment. This is a 100% wood airplane. If you have a spill just a quick wipe to remove the raw fuel is enough. The leftover oil is no problem. I'm not sure what is still available out there. I bought pints and they last forever.

I always top coated with clear lacquer. Lacquer is very easy to work with and mistakes are just sanded out and you reshoot.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Rendegade

+1 for the lacquer.

my avatar was painted in laqcuer. come to think of it, if it wasn't covered it's been lac'd
Old 06-10-2011, 02:51 AM
yel914

The last several planes I've done have been painted in latex. Once you get the basics down, it's pretty sweet to work with. Home Depot sells sample cans for about $3, any color you want. I shoot my planes with flat paint. It sands similar to a drywall surface. I've tried clear coating with Klass Kote (bulletproof, expensive), Nelson's Clear (not the easiest to apply), and recently, Lustercote. I think the Nelson's is probably the best overall. I just couldn't get a good spray of the stuff in ultra dry Utah. I think I heard that Nelson's clear is a System One product. I'm currently trying Lustercote flat clear over Latex. I've misted 3 coats over the surface, then wet coated. If you put it on too heavy you get wrinkle finish, but lightly, it seems to work.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 AM
prgonzalez

Everyone,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I am learning a lot in here.

Unfortunately, at this moment, I don't have the budget for an air compressor or spray gun for car paint or other liquid paint that needs to be sprayed.

The latex paint idea seems to be cheap enough if the clear coat w/Lustrekot works well. I assume you apply the latex paint with a roller.

What about can spray paints like Kraylon, Tamiya, Testors, any acrylic or polycrylic paint? No spray gun, no air compressor needed

Keep more ideas coming.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:42 AM
TFF

Auto parts store paint. Make sure you use the lacquer color and then coat it with the clear high temp engine paint. Plastic model paints melt fast under glow.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Avaiojet

Pedro,

Stop by your local body shops and ask for their leftovers. They through a great deal of paint out.

Get in good with them and they will spray your clear for next to nothing.

They like doing unusual projects.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 AM
yel914

The latex paint is mixed with auto windshield washer fluid and sprayed with a detail gun. More info can be found at [link]http://www.vaillyaviation.com[/link]. He has a really good write up on the set up. If you're after rattle cans, then the auto paint may be the way to go, if it's fuel proof. I did find a good deal at Lowes in Valspar enamel paint rattle cans. It sprays very well and costs about $4 per can. Lots of color choices. You would have to clear coat over it for fuel proofing.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

When I painted the Spitfire I used the spray can primer from Lowes, then brushed on the flat latex house paint (use the right kind of brush), then brushed on the Nelson clear, I did not use any air guns or compressors. If you look closely you can see the brush marks but you have to look close.

If you can find a clear that is fuel proof and comes in a spray can then you are in business. It looks likeI am not the only one using flat latex house paint, looks awful at first but after the clear is on it really looks nice.

Good luck,
Fred
Old 06-11-2011, 02:45 AM
yel914

I think many of us builders have been looking for the Holy Grail in a painting process. That is: inexpensive, good color choice, no nasty smells, easy to apply. Latex seems to fill all of those requirements. The clear coating has been the main problem, But Nelson's clear appears to me to be the best solution. I'll probably try wiping it on, rather than spraying it, on my next build. This is a pic of my Waco UPF-7, 1/5 scale Ikon kit. Latex with Klass Kote clear. Overall, I'm very happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91261.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1621684