Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Formica?????

Old 04-18-2002, 10:53 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formica?????

HI.. CAN ANYONE tell me what kind of wood is formica made from? also i was reading an article on different woods and found that some woods are hazourdous to sand without a respirator..but was unclear as to which woods.. anyone have any info on that? thanks
Old 04-18-2002, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Formica?????

HF:

A trade name for high-pressure laminates of melamine-formaldehyde, phenolic and other thermosetting resins with paper, linen, canvas, glass, etc.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:39 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hazardous wood?

I always thought the biggest hazard in cutting wood was in hitting a railroad spike set into a tree.

Most common woods do not emit any hazardous vapors. Non-woods could due to the glues. Woods such as chipboard or plywood could due to the glue for laminations, but most these glue formulae have been around for fifty years now, and would have been pulled from the market. Non woods like Masonite and hardboard use wax as their binder, and certain fir and pine is presure treated with zinc as a preserative, but if you are alergic to wax, I see no reason to stay away.

Some people get upset smelling ANYTHING, and it may have been this story which is being perpetuated.

Wm.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:13 PM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Danger not really

I've been a cabinet maker/ carpenter for 15 years.
The worse thing I ever saw was a Maple syrup spike that the tree had grown around. It make a God Awfull sound when it went through the shaper. not to mention destoying the shaper bit! and scaring the heck out of the operator.

Vapor!!
That is usaul caused by the wood/composite product burning
That's why you don't burn plywood etc. in you fireplace.

If you keep your blades and bits sharp and use them corectly you shouldn't be burning the product. Wood/ plywood/L.P./Formica/Melamine etc.

Good tools make for good work
Where a dust mask and safety glass' you'll be fine
Don't forget ear protection as well
Old 04-21-2002, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formica?????

In the forest industry (pulp, paper, and lumber) there's been some concern lately that the fine dust can be harmful long-term. Its a pretty new thing and I haven't seen anyone say which species are bad.
A buddy of mine who's been building kits for years says he's become alergic to balsa dust. It doesn't stop him though.
I don't think you've got much to worry about, but if you're still concerned, consider doing the heavy sanding outdoors.