Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Interesting thread, should be here. >

Interesting thread, should be here.

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Interesting thread, should be here.

Old 04-19-2002, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting thread, should be here.

There is an interesting thread going on in the kit building topic that evolved into a scratchbuilding discussion...thought it may be of some interest here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...30&forumid=107]
Old 04-24-2002, 09:38 PM

You guys might throw me out of here, but the above mentioned thread was really interesting to me. I've been designing and scratchbuilding my own planes for the last 4 years (over 200 now). The only thing is, I'm using all plastic, and materials you can't even find in a hobby store. Something like this costs about $5 and 3-4 hours to build, and will hold it's own and outlast anything on the market.

Or with a little more time and effort ($18 and 20 hours)

There are some more unbelievable examples here:

http://www.spadtothebone.com/Showcase.html

Once we learned that Air Core made their airplanes out of Coroplast, which is simlply sign board available at any sign supply shop...the sky became the limit, and it is truely a low budget designer and scratchbuilder's dream.

Also, all our plans are free at http://www.spadtothebone.com
Old 04-25-2002, 02:55 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Your Simple Plastic Airplane Designed planes are also excelent for Combat I hear Tattoo! They are cheap to make, cheap to fix, and hold up. I want build one over the summer.... we'll see what happens though. Tattoo, I appreciate what you do for all of the SPAD builders. A+ to www.spadtothebone.com

-Brian
Old 04-25-2002, 09:59 AM

Thank you very much Brian! The best combat plane so far is using wiffle ball bat fuselages...very tough!

Old 04-25-2002, 05:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I spend way too many hours (if you ask my wife) in my shop desiging, shaping, sanding, glassing, mold making, foam cutting etc., etc., etc., with my composite racing planes (which don't get me wrong, I love more than flying ? ) and yet I get a real kick out of pumping out a half dozen spad combat planes to fly and sell (at my cost) to get a bunch of friends up in the air chasing ribbons and crashing into each other.

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time, but intentionally midairing into a buddy is too much fun, and these puppies just bounce!!!!!!!!

No, they're not pretty to look at, but they honestly are awesome fliers AND they are cheap and super fast to build. They are without a doubt the best stress relievers in the air.

I urge those of you out there that love to fly, but think these are just plastic pieces of junk, to give one a try.....I bet it'll get you laughing out loud too!

P.S. The flat bats are my favorite so far...but I just started doing this a couple of weeks ago.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:27 PM

I urge those of you out there that love to fly, but think these are just plastic pieces of junk, to give one a try.....I bet it'll get you laughing out loud too!
Thanks TiGuy!!!
That's been one of the things we've been trying to get across. It's been awfull hard to break the stereotype of the plastic airplanes on the market as being pigs and flying turds. I flew Balsas planes for over 20 years, and the scratchbuilt plastic planes don't give up a thing in weight or performance. The bat planes are well under 3 pounds flight ready, and planes like the Spazzler are in the 4.5 pound range, and if you hand the Tx to someone who didn't know...they would never know the plane they were flying was about 5 bucks of plastic and an afternoon of work. I still laugh from time to time while flying these planes...it almost should be illegal!!! The coolest part is the coroplast comes in most colors, and is already fuel proof...no covering!

If you really wan't to cause a comotion at the field...show up with something like this...and tell em it cost less than $2 to build because you got the wing coroplast from the dumpster behind the gas station down the street...I call this one the "Cancer Stick"